Hallman: Minnesota AD checked our box—he hired a Black coach. Now the question we ask is will Johnson be given the time and support to succeed

I would add the following to his scorecard. Since he has taken over, the following players have transferred out. You could make an argument a number of these guys weren't B1G caliber, but for the sake of discussion, the list is below. CBJ took over 3/21/21, so it's been almost exactly 2 years. In that 2 years, 12 players have transferred out, and if Cooper leaves, that makes it an entire 13 player basketball team. I'm not advocating that all these players should still be around. But just looking at the numbers themselves, it's rather startling.

- Liam Robbins
- Charlie Daniels
- Sam Freeman
- Martice Mitchell
- Brandon Johnson
- Both Gach
- Gabe Kalschuer
- Tre Williams
- Abdoulaye Thiam
- Treyton Thompson
- Jaden Henley
- Jamison Battle
Each of these guys has a "story", I'm sure.

Like, Robbins left because Ben didn't hire his uncle. That simple.

Gach was horrifically overhyped and flopped big time, which is tragic because he wanted to come back home and play in front of family.

Gabe's shooting had cratered and I think he was just tired of it and needed a change scenery. If he hadn't gotten into such a funk here, it's possible he stays?

Etc.

I probably shouldn't even revive this thread but I just saw Charles Hallman's interview question for Juwan Howard after his final game.

What a despicable reporter.

Who's Charles Hallman?

This is what came up first on Google:

images

Outkick is such trash journalism too. Just baiting their audience.

Truth. Kind of funny that they are calling out anything (even though it's warranted)......especially considering the headline they chose. But that's how these hackish tabloid websites survive.

If race played a role in the hire; was Johnson the only African American candidate, and if not, did others have any head coaching experience?

If race played a role in the hire; was Johnson the only African American candidate, and if not, did others have any head coaching experience?
I think that's more of a question on whether or not race was the only factor.

The question should be, if Ben Johnson was a white kid from Lakeville and everything else was the same, would he have been hired? The answer is no.

Because he would have went to Wisconsin.

I think Clarence Thomas may have been interviewed for the job, but ultimately opted for a gig at the Supreme Court. Which,of course, was also an affirmative hire.

Last edited:

I think that's more of a question on whether or not race was the only factor.

The question should be, if Ben Johnson was a white kid from Lakeville and everything else was the same, would he have been hired? The answer is no.

Because he would have went to Wisconsin.

To be fair Minnesota wasn’t Johnson’s first choice either.

Top Bottom