Hall of Fame Los Angeles Dodgers manager Tommy Lasorda dies at 93

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per ESPN:

Former Los Angeles Dodgers manager Tommy Lasorda has died at the age of 93, the team announced.

He suffered a sudden cardiopulmonary arrest at his home Thursday night and was taken to the hospital, where he was pronounced dead less than an hour later.

Lasorda was hospitalized on Nov. 8 with heart issues and didn't return home until Tuesday.

He managed the Dodgers from 1976 to 1996, winning two World Series titles, four National League pennants and eight division crowns. He was named NL Manager of the Year twice and won 1,599 career games.

Win Twins!!

Fuck! RIP to my favorite manager.
tKrz7dt854BTSikdV17hBvNv-8s599yluj3er_hQkW4cFGxzk_sXSnxGHJYFbjfbdO36_8DElTdnlFgNFs2dIFqbkCbRrIaqRJlD-UXYpmCaz9mlGWs

2021 sucks so far!

Not too many managers these days who are bigger celebrities than most of their players. I loved Tommy as a Slim Fast spokesman. Here's a Tommy quote on his relationship with food:

When we win, I’m so happy I eat a lot. When we lose, I’m so depressed, I eat a lot. When we’re rained out, I’m so disappointed I eat a lot.

RIP Tommy.

A few Lasorda items.

- I was at either the last or next to last game he managed in '96.

- In '11 on the last day of the Dodger home regular season schedule I was back in LA and scalped a ticket, 3rd row right behind the plate on the cheap. They had long been out of the race. The row in front of me, and a little to my left, Lasorda was sitting with Harrison Ford, Calista Flockhart and their son. I assume Ford was doing pre-production work for the movie 42.

-
Favorite story I heard Lasorda tell, I think was on the Roy Firestone ESPN show. He was talking about the fielding issues of Pedro Guerrero was having at 3B, so the sat him down to ask him what was going through his mind while on defense. Went something like this:

Guerrero - I only have 2 thoughts on my mind when I am on defense. The first is, "Please, don't hit it to me."

Lasorda - That's terrible Pedro, what's the other thought?

Guerrero - "Please, don't hit it to Sax."

A few Lasorda items.

- I was at either the last or next to last game he managed in '96.

- In '11 on the last day of the Dodger home regular season schedule I was back in LA and scalped a ticket, 3rd row right behind the plate on the cheap. They had long been out of the race. The row in front of me, and a little to my left, Lasorda was sitting with Harrison Ford, Calista Flockhart and their son. I assume Ford was doing pre-production work for the movie 42.

-
Favorite story I heard Lasorda tell, I think was on the Roy Firestone ESPN show. He was talking about the fielding issues of Pedro Guerrero was having at 3B, so the sat him down to ask him what was going through his mind while on defense. Went something like this:

Guerrero - I only have 2 thoughts on my mind when I am on defense. The first is, "Please, don't hit it to me."

Lasorda - That's terrible Pedro, what's the other thought?

Guerrero - "Please, don't hit it to Sax."
Steve Sax was the first player I actually saw get the yips.

Steve Sax was the first player I actually saw get the yips.

I think it was about the same time, but I remember Twins catcher Dave Engle couldn't make the return throw back to the pitcher without making him jump/dive.

Top Bottom