Hall of Fame golfer Juan 'Chi Chi' Rodriguez dies at 88

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per ESPN:

Juan "Chi Chi" Rodriguez, a Hall of Fame golfer whose antics on the greens and inspiring life story made him among the sport's most popular players during a long professional career, died Thursday. He was 88.

Rodriguez's death was announced by Carmelo Javier Ríos, a senator in Rodriguez's native Puerto Rico. He didn't provide a cause of death.

"Chi Chi Rodriguez's passion for charity and outreach was surpassed only by his incredible talent with a golf club in his hand," PGA Tour commissioner Jay Monahan said in a statement. "A vibrant, colorful personality both on and off the golf course, he will be missed dearly by the PGA Tour and those whose lives he touched in his mission to give back. The PGA Tour sends its deepest condolences to the entire Rodriguez family during this difficult time."

Go Tom Lehman!!

In an episode of the American sitcom WKRP in Cincinnati (season 1, episode 3, "Les on a Ledge"), newscaster Les Nessman, reporting on a golf tournament, mispronounces Rodriguez's name as "Chy Chy Rodrigweez," despite efforts to correct him.

RIP Chi Chi
Yes, RIP.

WKRP was one of my all time favorites. Not sure it ever got the credit and accolades it deserved. I was in love with Bailey.

"As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly."

Last edited:

Yes, RIP.

WKRP was one of my all time favorites. Not sure it ever got the credit and accolades it deserved. I was in love with Bailey.

You stood no chance with Bailey, Herb, she was all mine🥰

today's golfers are bigger, stronger and very technically proficient. but with a few exceptions, they don't have the personality of golfers from the 60's. Chi Chi, Lee Trevino, Arnie, Sam Snead - they just seemed more relatable.

side note - thinking about that era got me remembering "Shell's Wonderful World of Golf." this was a TV program, sponsored by Shell Oil, that matched up pairs of golfers in made-for-TV matches. I remember watching that when I was a kid - and that was a long time ago.

Yes, RIP.

"It's the breaststroke, Les, not breast stroking. "
RIP Chi Chi

I had zero clue his given name was "Juan".

Interesting footnote is Chi-Chi's last professional win was here at Bunker Hills in Coon Rapids on the Senior PGA Tour. He took the crown in the inaugural Burnet Senior Classic in 1993 at the age of 57.

Last edited:

Top Bottom