Hall of Fame center Bill Walton has died of cancer, the NBA says. He was 71.

for younger posters - I watched Walton play for UCLA (on TV) multiple times.

He may have been the greatest college Center of all time. emphasis on college. averaged 20 pts, 16 reb & 5.5 assists a game in his 3 years at UCLA. (freshmen were not eligible to play varsity ball during this era).

in the '72-73 NCAA Championship game vs Memphis State, Walton had a game for the ages:
44 pts making 21 of 22 FGA. four other made baskets were ruled as offensive goaltending, because dunking was not allowed then. (under current rules would have had 52 pts) added 13 rebounds, 7 blocked shots and 2 assists.

in the NBA, Walton was plagued by foot injuries. he played 10 seasons but only 468 total games. played in 50 games or more in only 6 of his 10 seasons. did play 80 games in one season as a career high - and won the NBA 6th-Man of the Year award for the Celtics. was MVP in 1977-78 for Portland.

Deadheads - light one up in honor of Big Red.

for younger posters - I watched Walton play for UCLA (on TV) multiple times.

He may have been the greatest college Center of all time. emphasis on college. averaged 20 pts, 16 reb & 5.5 assists a game in his 3 years at UCLA. (freshmen were not eligible to play varsity ball during this era).

in the '72-73 NCAA Championship game vs Memphis State, Walton had a game for the ages:
44 pts making 21 of 22 FGA. four other made baskets were ruled as offensive goaltending, because dunking was not allowed then. (under current rules would have had 52 pts) added 13 rebounds, 7 blocked shots and 2 assists.

in the NBA, Walton was plagued by foot injuries. he played 10 seasons but only 468 total games. played in 50 games or more in only 6 of his 10 seasons. did play 80 games in one season as a career high - and won the NBA 6th-Man of the Year award for the Celtics. was MVP in 1977-78 for Portland.

Deadheads - light one up in honor of Big Red.
I just did a Dead marathon this morning /afternoon. I didn't know he died till now. Great dude. RIP

Top Bottom