Hall of Fame center Bill Walton has died of cancer, the NBA says. He was 71.

Walton was one unique dude. The kind of guy you could sit down with over a few beers and just listen to his view of the world. Highly intelligent even if he smoked a ton of weed over the years. Pretty damn good basketball player too

Great yearly interview with Barriero at the Final Four. Missed him this year for undisclosed reasons. I think we now know why. R.I.P., you crazy good athlete, broadcaster & Deadhead!

He was the most entertaining broadcaster I’ve ever listened to; I used to stay up late to watch Pac12 buckets because his commentary was to me, so insightful and funny.

Dave Pasch, was his partner and straightman, in that magical, mystery tour and it was especially excellent, when he would give a simple deadpan response to Bill’s enthusiastic monologue and leave the Big Redhead completely flummoxed.

(also posted this on the Basketball board)

for younger posters - I watched Walton play for UCLA (on TV) multiple times.

He may have been the greatest college Center of all time. emphasis on college. averaged 20 pts, 16 reb & 5.5 assists a game in his 3 years at UCLA. (freshmen were not eligible to play varsity ball during this era).

in the '72-73 NCAA Championship game vs Memphis State, Walton had a game for the ages:
44 pts making 21 of 22 FGA. four other made baskets were ruled as offensive goaltending, because dunking was not allowed then. (under current rules would have had 52 pts) added 13 rebounds, 7 blocked shots and 2 assists.

in the NBA, Walton was plagued by foot injuries. he played 10 seasons but only 468 total games. played in 50 games or more in only 6 of his 10 seasons. did play 80 games in one season as a career high - and won the NBA 6th-Man of the Year award for the Celtics. was MVP in 1977-78 for Portland.

Deadheads - light one up in honor of Big Red.

Hopefully I remember this correctly, but he showed up at the HHH Dome with his Celtic teammate Kevin McHale for the Dead/Dylan/Petty show. He was also a fan of Pearl Jam. EV gave him a shout out at their 2022 Tour Opener, Walton was in the SD crowd and took a bow.

I don't have any memory of him with UCLA other than being on the SI Cover. However, I was old enough to remember his run in Portland including leading the Trail Blazers to the 1977 title.

I found this Portland local news story on his passing:

Fellow Bruin Reggie Miller on Bill Walton via The Dan Patrick Show:

EV dedicated Man of the Hour to Bill Walton during tonight's Pearl Jam show in Seattle.

pt6r769b5hqh.jpeg

Last edited:

EV dedicated Man of the Hour to Bill Walton during tonight's Pearl Jam show in Seattle.

View attachment 31562
I'm seeing the Dead show at the Sphere in nine days. I assume there will be a pretty big moment for Bill. I haven't looked at any youtube clips of the shows so far (want it to be 100% new to me) but I assume the tributes will be coming this weekend.

I'm seeing the Dead show at the Sphere in nine days. I assume there will be a pretty big moment for Bill. I haven't looked at any youtube clips of the shows so far (want it to be 100% new to me) but I assume the tributes will be coming this weekend.
Nice, have fun out there. Can't wait for a report on the Live Music thread.

Top Bottom