Halftime entertainment -- WTF?

playhosea!

Chad Kolander groupie
Reaction score
I think somebody previously posted a schedule of the halftime acts during men's basketball games as part of a thread about how the Red Panda Acrobat (the asian girl on the unicycle who flips bowls off her foot onto her head) is not coming this year. This disappointed me greatly because I think Red Panda is completely amazing.

During last night's game, the halftime entertainment was five students playing musical chairs.

Are you serious, athletic department? The arena was basically full of people paying good money to see the game. Is it really too expensive or difficult to give them SOMETHING worthwhile to watch during halftime? How about little kids playing basketball? That's always fun, and I doubt it costs the U anything. There have to be at least 200 teams and organizations at the university that could put together something entertaining to do at halftime that would promote their organization and/or entertain the crowd.

Here's the schedule:

Men’s Basketball Halftime Shows

Old Dutch Little Chippers
Monday, November 16 vs. Stephen F. Austin
Tuesday, December 8 vs. Morgan State
Saturday, December 12 vs. St. Joseph's University
Tuesday, December 15 vs. Northern Illinois

Premier Dance Team
Thursday, November 19 vs. Utah Valley University

U Can Danz
Saturday, December 5 vs. Brown

University of Minnesota Spirit Squad
Wednesday, December 23 vs. South Dakota State

1989-90 Elite 8 Team - 20th Anniversary Celebration
Tuesday, December 29 vs. Penn State

Gopher Dance Team
Sunday, January 9 vs. Ohio State

Alumni Day
Saturday, January 23 vs. Michigan State

Alexandria Aces
Thursday, February 11 vs. Michigan

Quick Change
Wednesday, February 24 vs. Purdue

Fargo-Moorhead Acro Team
Thursday, February 18 or Sunday, March 7

Mascot Game
Thursday, February 18 or Sunday, March 7

Why are there no rally dogs? I'm sure those people didn't charge to do their thing at the games and they seem to be more entertaining than most of these people.

Do you mean the racing dogs? I always liked seeing them, and fall asleep during the Aces spinning BB's on their fingertips.

Schedule

Thanks for posting the schedule, Moonlight.

So I guess the plan for opener was to schedule no act at all. Kind of amazing. They had all year to plan something, knowing there would be a full crowd. I was kind of hoping that something unexpected like the weather caused a cancellation, but I'm not really surprised.

The dog races are fun and will be missed. Even if the elimination of Red Panda is attributable to the cost, there are plenty of people capable of providing free entertainment -- no reason to have a halftime with nothing like last night.

And can we please have no one sing the natl anthem for us! Let the band and the whole crowd sing!!!!

I wonder if we could get an Official Statement from the U of MN on the status of the racing dogs and Red Panda. :rolleyes:

I love quick change and the Fargo tumblers, personally

Racing Dogs are Monday Night, the Marketing people at the U told me Red Panda and Quick change alternate every year

And can we please have no one sing the natl anthem for us! Let the band and the whole crowd sing!!!!

AMEN! Nothing better than a big Saturday afternoon game on a cold January day being opened up by thousands of Gophers fans singing the national anthem. I don't understand why the band/events people don't get this. The football people are also struggling with the anthem delivery.

I agree that the individuals accompanying the band haven't been great this fall at the Bank, but personally I think Ross Ukkelberg (in his letter sweater) should sing the anthem for every football game and for all the big hoops games. To me, that's one of the things that signifies a big game in the Barn on a cold Saturday afternoon.

"Personally I think Ross Ukkelberg (in his letter sweater) should sing the anthem for all the big hoops games."

Amen to that. He does a marvelous job. When Ross is singing the national anthem (sometimes with his kids), I know it's a big game at The Barn. That's probably why we don't see him very often (if at all) in November and December.

Top Bottom