Hageman: If I knock off somebody's helmet, now I'm going to get ejected? That's crazy

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per ESPN: B1G must be step ahead on targeting policy

Minnesota defensive lineman Ra'Shede Hageman: "Me being [6-foot-6] and going full speed at a running back who's like 5-7, that's hard. And you have to understand that. I'm not trying to go head-to-head with somebody. But I feel like I have to fix my game a little bit. It's a new rule for our safety, so I can't hate on it. But it's kind of difficult when you're 6-6 and you go out at a running back or a quarterback. If I knock off somebody's helmet, now I'm going to get ejected? That's crazy."

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/80348/b1g-must-be-step-ahead-on-targeting-policy

Go Gophers!!

Agree. I guess it will be reviewable, but since when have the Gopher's been on the "long " end of the stick on a official review?

Shede, you knock the helmet off a player during game time and i'll drop a $100.00 in front of you in at the estab. that you frequent. no punishment for found money.

Shede, you knock the helmet off a player during game time and i'll drop a $100.00 in front of you in at the estab. that you frequent. no punishment for found money.

Isn't that how Sean Payton got his start?:rolleyes:

If the other player's head is still in the helmet when it comes off, is that an additional penalty?

What!? Are the refs going to check chin straps during the game to ensure they are secure on the players. How will we know if RH nails some guy that it is a result of his tackle? Equipment malfunction? Simply the physics of the play?

What!? Are the refs going to check chin straps during the game to ensure they are secure on the players. How will we know if RH nails some guy that it is a result of his tackle? Equipment malfunction? Simply the physics of the play?

I can see a business opportunity here. Maybe just invest in CO2 cartridges.

If the player's head is still in the helmet, then the helmet did not get knocked off, so there would be no penalty.

Do you give the head helmet combo to the ref, or back to the player?...

per ESPN: B1G must be step ahead on targeting policy

Minnesota defensive lineman Ra'Shede Hageman: "Me being [6-foot-6] and going full speed at a running back who's like 5-7, that's hard. And you have to understand that. I'm not trying to go head-to-head with somebody. But I feel like I have to fix my game a little bit. It's a new rule for our safety, so I can't hate on it. But it's kind of difficult when you're 6-6 and you go out at a running back or a quarterback. If I knock off somebody's helmet, now I'm going to get ejected? That's crazy."

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/80348/b1g-must-be-step-ahead-on-targeting-policy

Go Gophers!!
How many college football running backs are 5'7"? Plus I doubt that Hageman is really 6'6".

How many college football running backs are 5'7"? Plus I doubt that Hageman is really 6'6".

Here's one we'll see.

512x.jpg

Venric Mark - Northwestern - Football
Mark became Northwestern's first 1,000-yard rusher since 2006, scampering for 1,366 yards in his first full season in the backfield. Mark earned first-team All-America honors as a punt returner from the Football Writers Association of America and was named the Wildcats' Offensive MVP, helping the team to a 10-3 record and a win in the TaxSlayer.com Gator Bowl. A second-team All-Big Ten selection by the coaches and media, Mark posted eight 100-yard rushing efforts and scored 14 total touchdowns. The junior ranked first in the conference and 12thnationally in all-purpose yards per game with 166.6, finishing 29 yards shy of breaking Northwestern's single-season all-purpose yardage record. Click HERE for more information on Venric.

Venric Mark (Northwestern): Though Venric makes his mark (sorry) as a Running Back at Northwestern, he lacks the size (5’7”, 170 lbs.) to be a featured runner at the next level. However, it would be a shame to see his open field ability go to waste. He is a threat whenever he touches the ball be it as a runner, receiver or returner. Getting him the ball underneath could key an offense and make him an asset come draft day http://withthefirstpick.com/2013/07/25/2014-pre-season-all-big-10-nfl-draft-prospect-team/

Hageman has always been listed at about 6'6". It's been well documented that his inability to get low out of the blocks and is due to his stature compared to more his more squat counterparts on the D line. I think he'll get the full measurements at the NFL combine but I see no reason to doubt his height and nor does this talent evaulator.

http://withthefirstpick.com/2013/07/29/2014-nfl-draft-pre-season-breakdown-rashede-hageman-dt-minnesota/

Well played, Norman Dale....

This rule doesn't affect everyone in the Big Ten, though....Chris Borland should still be able to dive straight at a QB's knees without fear of ejection......

I've been a season ticket holder since 2001. Has there been a Gopher player with more hype and no results than Hageman? I'm glad he's been a 3-time All B10 weight room guy, but let's see it on the field.

I've been a season ticket holder since 2001. Has there been a Gopher player with more hype and no results than Hageman? I'm glad he's been a 3-time All B10 weight room guy, but let's see it on the field.

I wouldn't say no results. He did have a decent year last year with 6(?) sacks. I tend to agree though, there's A LOT of hype surrounding Hageman and frankly his play on the field so far in his career hasn't warranted most of it. I know stats don't tell the whole story for DT's but I need to see better play against the run and a more consistent effort and motor.

No results? Last year, the guy was pretty darn good, let's not act like he just flopped around. He made big time impact in many games. I think the hype is justified when it comes to projecting his potential this season. Prior to last year, yeah, it was all about the potential, and he hadn't done much, but you also need to remember, the guy had never played the position until two years ago. I think he finally started to show it on the field last year, and the general consensus is that a player will continue to improve. Doesn't always happen, but it's reasonable to think it could.

If he's able to build off last year, it not only is about his production, but the production he'll allow others on the D-line to have because of the double teams he sees. Does he need to be more consistent, and frankly be more dominant considering his physical gifts? Sure, but I think it's a bit much to say he's had no results on the field.

In defense of Hageman, he has gone from a HS TE to DE and now DT. Still, his legacy will depend on what he does this season. If he has a big year, I think he will be ranked more highly than Anthony Montgomery - another big DT who was always lauded for his "potential," but his impact on the field didn't measure up. It's worth noting that Montgomery was drafted and played some in the NFL, not based on performance but on 'measurables' and his combine workouts. I think Hageman has the chance to have a better pro career.

I agree. I would never question the 6'6" statistic with Hageman. That's one of the few hts that I don't think is inflated. Dudes a beast.

Go to a game and you won't doubt hagemans size.

1chip0807.jpg

So, Cameron, you saying I'm not taller than you?

Pic from Scoggins Startrib

Here's one we'll see.

512x.jpg

Venric Mark - Northwestern - Football
Mark became Northwestern's first 1,000-yard rusher since 2006, scampering for 1,366 yards in his first full season in the backfield. Mark earned first-team All-America honors as a punt returner from the Football Writers Association of America and was named the Wildcats' Offensive MVP, helping the team to a 10-3 record and a win in the TaxSlayer.com Gator Bowl. A second-team All-Big Ten selection by the coaches and media, Mark posted eight 100-yard rushing efforts and scored 14 total touchdowns. The junior ranked first in the conference and 12thnationally in all-purpose yards per game with 166.6, finishing 29 yards shy of breaking Northwestern's single-season all-purpose yardage record. Click HERE for more information on Venric.

Venric Mark (Northwestern): Though Venric makes his mark (sorry) as a Running Back at Northwestern, he lacks the size (5’7”, 170 lbs.) to be a featured runner at the next level. However, it would be a shame to see his open field ability go to waste. He is a threat whenever he touches the ball be it as a runner, receiver or returner. Getting him the ball underneath could key an offense and make him an asset come draft day http://withthefirstpick.com/2013/07/25/2014-pre-season-all-big-10-nfl-draft-prospect-team/

Hageman has always been listed at about 6'6". It's been well documented that his inability to get low out of the blocks and is due to his stature compared to more his more squat counterparts on the D line. I think he'll get the full measurements at the NFL combine but I see no reason to doubt his height and nor does this talent evaulator.

http://withthefirstpick.com/2013/07...eason-breakdown-rashede-hageman-dt-minnesota/

When they use the term "scampering" to describe his or anyone's running style, they are small by football standards...

No results? Last year, the guy was pretty darn good, let's not act like he just flopped around. He made big time impact in many games. I think the hype is justified when it comes to projecting his potential this season. Prior to last year, yeah, it was all about the potential, and he hadn't done much, but you also need to remember, the guy had never played the position until two years ago. I think he finally started to show it on the field last year, and the general consensus is that a player will continue to improve. Doesn't always happen, but it's reasonable to think it could.

If he's able to build off last year, it not only is about his production, but the production he'll allow others on the D-line to have because of the double teams he sees. Does he need to be more consistent, and frankly be more dominant considering his physical gifts? Sure, but I think it's a bit much to say he's had no results on the field.

+1.

Top Bottom