Guard play is beyond bad

clemhaskin

Reaction score
We swap Nolen and Westbrook for Frasier and McCamey and we win by 20. What a frustrating game...we absolutely dominate the paint and lose by 10. One of the worst shooting performances I've ever seen...although how many of our shots were half way down and came out. Wisky game couldn't be more of a must win.

Yes Clem........

I've seen SOME jr. high teams look better.

our guard's are terrible!!!! LW is showing who and what he is, a marginal at best 2 guard with 0 basketball sense, in a point's body. And someone please find Al Nolen, WOW talk about a kid that has regressed over the course of a season! Either sit Al or get RID of the double high post offense, go 3 out 2 in and give Al some room to work. In this double high post thing we have run all year the only place to penetrate is to the baseline and Al gets there at will picks up his dribble and is stuck!

I was wishing we would throw up any kind of shot - at least we were rebounding - before we turned it over!

how many times have we seen westbrook lose his dribble each game. i dont understand it

The unforced turnovers are just unbearable! We get so many empty possessions each game its sad. I recall an entry pass from Nolen to Sampson in the first half that Sampson had absolutely no chance to catch--the angle Nolen was trying to pass it from was absurd. There are usually 2-3 times per game that Nolen attempts passes that I wouldn't expect from a HS player.

A couple of other thoughts regarding our offense:
-Iverson has really been better than I expected this year, but he really needs to work on his hands.
-Carter does A LOT of good things, but his ballhandling and footwork need major work. For as little as he handles the ball each game, he is usually good for at least 2-3 turnovers per game.
-DJ needs to utilize his quickness more on offense, he often hesitates before shooting or dribbling, giving the defense a chance to adjust. He played well tonight, but we need him to be aggressive throughout the game in the halfcourt offense.
-Both Iverson and Sampson need to make themselves bigger and present a better target in the post. That being said, they are often ignored when they are open. We played best in the first half when they were getting the ball inside.
-Have any of the Gophers heard of a bounce pass? All (well almost all) passes in the lane and on the break should be bounce passes. Bounce passes are easier for big men to handle and harder for defenders to deflect.
-The next pass fake I see from this team will be the first.
-The out of bounds plays are brutal-what in the world is Tubby doing? He is a great coach, but that stuff isn't that hard. Easy buckets on inbounds plays can energize a team that struggles to score.

The unforced turnovers are just unbearable!
-Have any of the Gophers heard of a bounce pass? All (well almost all) passes in the lane and on the break should be bounce passes. Bounce passes are easier for big men to handle and harder for defenders to deflect.
Hoffarber made a few good bounce passes tonight, and actually led us in assists with 3 and had 0 turnovers.

Nolen's play has gone from frustrating to laughable. Every time he has the ball in his hands, you know something bad is going to happen, but you aren't sure which bad thing is going to happen. A A missed shot is the best outcome you can hope for from our once-beloved sophomore.

how many times have we seen westbrook lose his dribble each game. i dont understand it

I wonder if Westbrook had a much smaller body in high school...sometimes those big arms lose coordination. Also, LW really needs to learn not to travel.

The unforced turnovers are just unbearable! We get so many empty possessions each game its sad. I recall an entry pass from Nolen to Sampson in the first half that Sampson had absolutely no chance to catch--the angle Nolen was trying to pass it from was absurd. There are usually 2-3 times per game that Nolen attempts passes that I wouldn't expect from a HS player.

A couple of other thoughts regarding our offense:
-Iverson has really been better than I expected this year, but he really needs to work on his hands.
-Carter does A LOT of good things, but his ballhandling and footwork need major work. For as little as he handles the ball each game, he is usually good for at least 2-3 turnovers per game.
-DJ needs to utilize his quickness more on offense, he often hesitates before shooting or dribbling, giving the defense a chance to adjust. He played well tonight, but we need him to be aggressive throughout the game in the halfcourt offense.
-Both Iverson and Sampson need to make themselves bigger and present a better target in the post. That being said, they are often ignored when they are open. We played best in the first half when they were getting the ball inside.
-The next pass fake I see from this team will be the first.
-The out of bounds plays are brutal-what in the world is Tubby doing? He is a great coach, but that stuff isn't that hard. Easy buckets on inbounds plays can energize a team that struggles to score.

I agree with all of this solid post, but I'll add one more thing: The next no-look pass I see from this team will also be close to the first. This is probably one of the worst passing teams that I've ever seen contend for an NCAA bid. This needs work in the offseason. Pass fakes and no-looks break down a defense, give shooters an extra step, and put defenders on their heels. Our best passer is also riding the bench too much in BT season (Blake).

I can't help but think LW should be playing for Brewster and not Tubby when I see him out there. I cringe every time he is allowed to bring the ball up court. Although his shoving of Meacham? was fun to watch!

I enjoyed when LW...

I can't help but think LW should be playing for Brewster and not Tubby when I see him out there. I cringe every time he is allowed to bring the ball up court. Although his shoving of Meacham? was fun to watch!

I enjoyed when LW ran over Tisdale! That was a good foul!

Top Bottom