Gruden

saintpaulguy

Reaction score
You would be one of them. We all are. None of us are perfect. Forgiveness is a necessary element in a functioning society. I don't know what the answer on Gruden is, but as a society the trend to cancel- typically from one side- is horrible.
Beeg--this is like John Thompson complaining he got pulled over because he was black, when he was pulled over for not having a license plate. Even if were true that the officer would not pulll over a white guy for the same reason (it isn't), it would seem the best policy to have a license plate as the law requires.

Even if it were true (it isn't), that only a white guy would get fired in this instance, it doesn't make the behavior OK, or mean it should be overlooked. It would just be doubly wrong. "Billy's mom lets him do it" is not a moral stance.

howeda7

Reaction score
Righties love the NFL, their American way, fuck your employees as hard as you can and protect them as little as you can get away with.
Unless they take a knee.

Nax5

Reaction score
This is a really great musing on the topic. Excuse the Aaron Rodgers.

Bob_Loblaw

Reaction score
I'm not perfect. But I can guarantee you that I haven't emailed or texted anything like Gruden. I try to learn and do better each day. Can you say the same? That's where Gruden clearly failed. You gotta earn forgiveness. Don't keep making the same mistakes.
You would be ok with a "reckoning" to occur for people who said things that you're offended by in a private conversation. That's creepy as hell.

I don't have an issue with the Raiders firing Gruden, they had to. I don't agree with most of the things that he said but for people to start discussing "reckonings" for the things people talk about in private conversations is demented.

Nax5

Reaction score
You would be ok with a "reckoning" to occur for people who said things that you're offended by in a private conversation. That's creepy as hell.
I think you missed the context for that comment. Golf had asked why every sports commentator can just bury Gruden based on his comments now, but not be scrutinized with the same magnifying glass.

I could see it being creepy...If you were afraid of getting caught :)

stocker08

Reaction score
I'm not perfect. But I can guarantee you that I haven't emailed or texted anything like Gruden. I try to learn and do better each day. Can you say the same? That's where Gruden clearly failed. You gotta earn forgiveness. Don't keep making the same mistakes.

Righties like to award stupidity. As long as the person committing said stupidity appears to be a republican.....and is a straight white man.

jamiche

Reaction score
Ogee hates being called a racist, for being pissed off when Black kids wear their pants low!

Usually, you only hate being called a racist, if you are one.
Ogee and I don't agree on anything politically but I haven't read anything that he's posted that seems racist to me.

Ogee Oglethorpe

Over Macho Grande?
Reaction score
I don't have an issue with the Raiders firing Gruden, they had to. I don't agree with most of the things that he said but for people to start discussing "reckonings" for the things people talk about in private conversations is demented.
I agree with this. Gruden made his bed and now he's facing the music. That's life, and I never said otherwise. My issue is the immediate branding of "RACIST!!!" at the slightest comment imaginable. First, I don't think the comment about Smith's lips was racist. Gruden has said that's how he refers to people who are lying, as having rubber lips, hence the Michelin comment. Maybe you believe him, maybe you don't, that's open for interpretation, which brings me to my second point.

Second, I don't think one comment perceived by some as a racial slur immediately brands one as a "racist". I don't even think multiple slurs necessarily means you're a racist. There's a big leap from a racist comment to being a full-blown racist, but in the last 18-24 months, the left has fought to the death for their to be zero distinction whatsoever; racial slur means racist, apparently as simple as that.

If we're going to start branding people that quickly and that harshly, we're in for a long, long twisted future.... We have taken a term that used to be reserved strictly for the worst of the worst; a racist was one of the harshest labels you could ever slap on someone, a truly despicable person and rightfully labeled as such, and in the very recent past, we have made the term commonplace, thrown around at will at anyone and everyone who disagrees or isn't towing the company line, etc.

kg21

Reaction score
I’m still baffled why on earth anyone would care who someone else chooses to be with or what they do when they are with someone else. Honestly.
All of society cares. LGBTQ all day long and all night.

Superman is now turning weird.

It's a must that we care, or do I have that wrong?

Bob_Loblaw

Reaction score
I agree with this. Gruden made his bed and now he's facing the music. That's life, and I never said otherwise. My issue is the immediate branding of "RACIST!!!" at the slightest comment imaginable. First, I don't think the comment about Smith's lips was racist. Gruden has said that's how he refers to people who are lying, as having rubber lips, hence the Michelin comment. Maybe you believe him, maybe you don't, that's open for interpretation, which brings me to my second point.

Second, I don't think one comment perceived by some as a racial slur immediately brands one as a "racist". I don't even think multiple slurs necessarily means you're a racist. There's a big leap from a racist comment to being a full-blown racist, but in the last 18-24 months, the left has fought to the death for their to be zero distinction whatsoever; racial slur means racist, apparently as simple as that.

If we're going to start branding people that quickly and that harshly, we're in for a long, long twisted future.... We have taken a term that used to be reserved strictly for the worst of the worst; a racist was one of the harshest labels you could ever slap on someone, a truly despicable person and rightfully labeled as such, and in the very recent past, we have made the term commonplace, thrown around at will at anyone and everyone who disagrees or isn't towing the company line, etc.
It's pure pretend too. I think it's why these types of people almost always have the least diverse group of friends/people in their lives. When you have that diverse group of people in your life, you realize that across all people - occasionally good people say things that sh!tty, occasionally people might even say racist things and aren't full fledged-racists, people joke with their friends in ways that aren't suitable for a public image, people say things about people they don't like that aren't very nice.

It's not good. We should all work to be better people. But it's human. We all know it's human and if we judged most people by these kinds of standards, then everyone is a racist, misogynists, and horrible.

bga1

Reaction score
Changing your mind is a derogatory statement to you.🙄
About what you are going to eat for lunch? No. About what sex you are? Yes. Why is this so hard for you?

bga1

Reaction score
Beeg--this is like John Thompson complaining he got pulled over because he was black, when he was pulled over for not having a license plate. Even if were true that the officer would not pulll over a white guy for the same reason (it isn't), it would seem the best policy to have a license plate as the law requires.

Even if it were true (it isn't), that only a white guy would get fired in this instance, it doesn't make the behavior OK, or mean it should be overlooked. It would just be doubly wrong. "Billy's mom lets him do it" is not a moral stance.
Give me context- when did this happen? Was Thompson employed? Was he then fired for this fake race baiting? Would you have recommended he get fired?

See here is the deal... we are zooming into and beyond the biblical times when there were 613 rabbinical laws. And it got so everyone hated everyone over it. Jesus came along and said do this:

Love God, love your neighbor. Gruden is no different than the rest of us. We fail to love our neighbor. He didn't do anyone irreparable harm, didn't steal, didn't rob anyone, didn't kill. The problem is well in the past. Tell him it was unacceptable and not to do it again and move on.

howeda7

Reaction score
I'm homophobic too. I'm against sticking your manhood inside another guy.
Sounds like you've thought about it a lot.

Often the most homophobic people are closeted gay people over-compensating....but I'm sure you're an exception.

saintpaulguy

Reaction score
Give me context- when did this happen? Was Thompson employed? Was he then fired for this fake race baiting? Would you have recommended he get fired?

See here is the deal... we are zooming into and beyond the biblical times when there were 613 rabbinical laws. And it got so everyone hated everyone over it. Jesus came along and said do this:

Love God, love your neighbor. Gruden is no different than the rest of us. We fail to love our neighbor. He didn't do anyone irreparable harm, didn't steal, didn't rob anyone, didn't kill. The problem is well in the past. Tell him it was unacceptable and not to do it again and move on.
Dude, it made all the papers. He was, and remains employed, for now. I'd recommend he get fired, not just for this, but because he is an person who thinks everything is somebody else's fault.

kg21

Reaction score
Sounds like you've thought about it a lot.

Often the most homophobic people are closeted gay people over-compensating....but I'm sure you're an exception.
Hey, just because you would, doesn't mean you have to demean me.

Since you would or even have.......you've at least thought about it.

howeda7

Reaction score
Enjoy private enterprise while it lasts. We are rapidly entering an era of party approved businesses.
Rapidly, eh? I thought Trump had the greatest economy in the history of our country? It's declined that much in 6 months eh? That Biden...

Spoofin

Reaction score
All of society cares. LGBTQ all day long and all night.

Superman is now turning weird.

It's a must that we care, or do I have that wrong?
I didn't say people don't care I said I am baffled why people care

howeda7

Reaction score
Gruden was a HC for 15 years. He had one black coordinator and only one black qb took snaps for him. I’m not aware of any black players or coaches defending him once more of his emails became public.
It’s not ok to say the kind of shit that he was saying. Good people don’t operate that way.
It’s also not ok for the nfl to continue to protect Snyder and the people who work with him (including Goodell and other owners). What may come out will make Gruden look microscopic.
I'm not sure where the "they're going to protect Snyder" narrative is coming from. He's going to be thrown under an even bigger bus, IMO.

Spoofin

Reaction score
Rapidly, eh? I thought Trump had the greatest economy in the history of our country? It's declined that much in 6 months eh? That Biden...
I knew Howie couldn't go long before making this about Trump too.

DRINK!

GoodasGold

Reaction score

Jesus was/is non-binary.

howeda7

Reaction score
I'm speaking just for myself, but I treat work correspondence as if every item has the potential to be reviewed by my employer or by the recipients' employer.
Don't put anything in a work email you wouldn't want your mother to see.

kg21

Reaction score
I didn't say people don't care I said I am baffled why people care
I don't.......one guy can bang the other guy into oblivion for all I care.

But what's with all the LGBTQ crap all day long. A month long celebration of it.

Cartoon characters now turning into them.

We are definitely on mission for everyone to care in this country for some reason.

It's like hearing about how racist we all are 24/7

kg21

Reaction score
Don't put anything in a work email you wouldn't want your mother to see.
Is that true for this site, Howie? The reason I ask is your mom would be deeply embarrassed.

howeda7

Reaction score
I don't.......one guy can bang the other guy into oblivion for all I care.

But what's with all the LGBTQ crap all day long. A month long celebration of it.

Cartoon characters now turning into them.

We are definitely on mission for everyone to care in this country for some reason.

It's like hearing about how racist we all are 24/7
No one is forcing you to read/watch/listen to anything you don't want to. Sounds like a you problem.

Top Bottom