Gruden

Nax5

Reaction score
Based on posting history around here, I recommend some people go and delete their emails lol. Big tech coming for ya.

Costa Rican Gopher

Mind of a Scientist
Reaction score
Joy Reid apologized and moved on. It's like hers never happened.

Did she? Dems almost never admit they were wrong, or apologize. In her case, I'm pretty sure she claimed someone hacked her social media account?

Costa Rican Gopher

Mind of a Scientist
Reaction score
The well known racist trope that Blacks have big lips, is exactly what he meant.

Gross that you try to lie for him here.

Biden is on video using the 'N' word. His political mentor was the Grand Kleble of the West Virginia KKK, Dem Senator Robert Byrd. Biden's also on video railing against school desegregation (into the 1980's!), saying "It will create a racial jungle. I don't want my kids going to school in a racial jungle.". How does one pick and choose, who to cancel? Help me believe it's not based solely on one's political tribe and/or skin color?

Last edited:

saintpaulguy

Reaction score
Nancy Pelosi fired John Gruden because he was a Republican.

Ogee Oglethorpe

Over Macho Grande?
Reaction score
Biden is on video using the 'N' word. His mentor was the Grand Kleble of the West Virginia KKK, Dem Senator Robert Byrd. Biden's also on video railing against school desegregation (into the 1980's!), saying "It will create a racial jungle. I don't want my kids going to school in a racial jungle.". How does one pick and choose, who to cancel? Help me believe it's not based solely on one's political tribe and/or skin color?
I continue to be amazed how a 50-year history, a very well-documented one, of racism, segregationist policy and racial slurs can be magically swept under the rug for a guy like Grandpa Joe but that's for another thread....

If anyone wants to dig deep enough, they could probably fire a third or a half of the coaches in the NFL right now. This situation told us one thing, without question, that you do NOT want to get on the wrong side of the wrong folks. Gruden made a boatload of horrible mistakes, his team was still not exactly trending upwards well into his 4th year, and he was clearly on the wrong side of someone within the NFL; probably not just Goodell. One important thing to remember, these leaks came from within the NFL, not from the usual Jay Glazer, Ian Rapaport, et al. They were leaked for a reason, and somebody wanted them out in the open.

Gopher_In_NYC

Reaction score
You are correct. The singling out of individual slights is insane in a world where people to it daily to each other regardless of color, gender or sexual orientation.

If we are going this way, shut it all down. Fire everyone. There are none pure on the subject.
Not me. Not you. Not anyone. We all say and think bad things about people.
Seriously stick to the sports board, as your posts are -

Funny
Relevant
Insightful
So pretty much the opposite of your OTB efforts!

Last edited:

jamiche

Reaction score
You are correct. The singling out of individual slights is insane in a world where people to it daily to each other regardless of color, gender or sexual orientation.

If we are going this way, shut it all down. Fire everyone. There are none pure on the subject.
Not me. Not you. Not anyone. We all say and think bad things about people.
You are hyper hyper sensitive if anyone comes within 100 miles of criticizing Christians or Christianity. Outraged beyond belief if there is even a whiff of anything short of devout love for the dominant culture in this country.

For everything and everybody else it's, "Chill out! Can't you take a joke?!"

MplsGopher

Reaction score
How does one pick and choose, who to cancel?
What cancel? Gruden voluntarily stepped down.

If Biden wanted to step down, due to history of racial insensitivity, then good for him. Hail President Kamala.

Let's not be mistaken into thinking Biden is some kind of prize. He's simply "not Trump", which don't get me wrong was the best possible outcome for the country.

jamiche

Reaction score
I get what you're saying, but Gruden hit for the cycle on this one; women, gays, gay slurs, railing against player protection measures, etc. Gruden is obviously not a racist, he has a lifetime body of work of coaching, leading, and teaching young men of all races. Is he a little homophobic, misogynist and does he think Goodell is a moron? That's pretty clear.

Multiple sources have indicated that someone in the league (likely Goodell) had it in for Gruden. This stuff comes out for a reason, especially years and years after the fact. Gruden made a lot of comments that are said around the league on a daily basis I would guess, he was just stupid enough to put them in writing.

But to your one point, of course, there sure do appear to be people (typically of one political persuasion?) that are more Teflon than others. You can't be surprised by that in 2021. Our media is just plain NOT going to go after certain folks.
There are a lot of people end up in positions of leadership who are real assholes. Gruden seems to be one of them. Daniel Snyder may be another. I'm glad Gruden's emails were released and I'll be even gladder when Snyder's see some daylight.

Just because Gruden had black players on his teams doesn't mean he's not a racist.

kg21

Reaction score
What cancel? Gruden voluntarily stepped down.

If Biden wanted to step down, due to history of racial insensitivity, then good for him. Hail President Kamala.

Let's not be mistaken into thinking Biden is some kind of prize. He's simply "not Trump", which don't get me wrong was the best possible outcome for the country.
.005% of the population knows Biden is all those things. That's quite sad.

saintpaulguy

Reaction score
In all seriousness, the continuing popularity of The NFL is amazing, given how it is run. I can’t think of a league that cares less about the people who work for it and are the product.

Ogee Oglethorpe

Over Macho Grande?
Reaction score
There are a lot of people end up in positions of leadership who are real assholes. Gruden seems to be one of them. Daniel Snyder may be another. I'm glad Gruden's emails were released and I'll be even gladder when Snyder's see some daylight.

Just because Gruden had black players on his teams doesn't mean he's not a racist.
Sorry, I have to go with the body of work here. It goes far beyond coaching black players. The man put a significant amount of black people into coaching positions all over the league, recommendations, phone calls, actively supporting their hiring.

By your rationale, if David Duke had a body of work of being associated with the KKK, but tomorrow they found a couple of emails where he said positive things about black people, you're saying that you would believe the couple of emails over his lifetime body of work.

You can't have it both ways, can't pick and choose when you're going to go with someone's history of actions over a couple of comments.

You can honestly with a straight face say that one email that mentions someone having big lips (is this not true?) completely changes what a man has done his entire life? Really? Is that where we are?

But we don't have to decide here. I'll agree with you when there are a couple dozen players that come out and say that Gruden has been a racist for most of his career. That is agreeable, right?

Ogee Oglethorpe

Over Macho Grande?
Reaction score
In all seriousness, the continuing popularity of The NFL is amazing, given how it is run. I can’t think of a league that cares less about the people who work for it and are the product.
The NFL gets it, they always have. That's why they are crushing every other sport. It's the most popular TV show in the country, not even close.

Take a look at this year. You have players speaking out about Mental Health Awareness, it's okay to not be okay, strong words of encouragement about talking to someone if you're not feeling quite right. Making a difference in thousands of lives, making a difference period.

Second, there's Crucial Catch, getting the word out about cancer awareness, the importance of catching cancer early, truly making a massive difference in thousands of lives.

What don't you see? Players kneeling

I applaud the NFL for making a difference in thousands and thousands of lives, a real difference, in mental health awareness and cancer awareness. They get it, and that's why they are constantly crushing all the other sports

stocker08

Reaction score
Sorry, I have to go with the body of work here. It goes far beyond coaching black players. The man put a significant amount of black people into coaching positions all over the league, recommendations, phone calls, actively supporting their hiring.

By your rationale, if David Duke had a body of work of being associated with the KKK, but tomorrow they found a couple of emails where he said positive things about black people, you're saying that you would believe the couple of emails over his lifetime body of work.

You can't have it both ways, can't pick and choose when you're going to go with someone's history of actions over a couple of comments.

You can honestly with a straight face say that one email that mentions someone having big lips (is this not true?) completely changes what a man has done his entire life? Really? Is that where we are?

But we don't have to decide here. I'll agree with you when there are a couple dozen players that come out and say that Gruden has been a racist for most of his career. That is agreeable, right?

"A couple of emails over his lifetime body of work".

Have you not been paying any attention? It was a whole dump of emails. And those are only the ones we know about. It sounds like there may be a bunch more that weren't released. From the sounds of it....someone in the NFL has them and threatened to release more and more if Gruden wasn't fired. It's bad enough the way it is.

But give the racist, homophobic guy a break....says Ogee.

howeda7

Reaction score
"A couple of emails over his lifetime body of work".

Have you not been paying any attention? It was a whole dump of emails. And those are only the ones we know about. It sounds like there may be a bunch more that weren't released. From the sounds of it....someone in the NFL has them and threatened to release more and more if Gruden wasn't fired. It's bad enough the way it is.

But give the racist, homophobic guy a break....says Ogee.
I'm not sure "he's not a racist, just a really sexist, homophobic jerk!" is a great hill to die on.

saintpaulguy

Reaction score
The NFL gets it, they always have. That's why they are crushing every other sport. It's the most popular TV show in the country, not even close.

Take a look at this year. You have players speaking out about Mental Health Awareness, it's okay to not be okay, strong words of encouragement about talking to someone if you're not feeling quite right. Making a difference in thousands of lives, making a difference period.

Second, there's Crucial Catch, getting the word out about cancer awareness, the importance of catching cancer early, truly making a massive difference in thousands of lives.

What don't you see? Players kneeling

I applaud the NFL for making a difference in thousands and thousands of lives, a real difference, in mental health awareness and cancer awareness. They get it, and that's why they are constantly crushing all the other sports
I’d rather be a player or a coach in any other league.

kg21

Reaction score
I'm not sure "he's not a racist, just a really sexist, homophobic jerk!" is a great hill to die on.
I'm homophobic too. I'm against sticking your manhood inside another guy. I know I'm bad for thinking that and working on it in my CRT class. Believe it or not, that's coming up in my next week's lesson.

Ogee Oglethorpe

Over Macho Grande?
Reaction score
As an example, I’m not a cannabis user. Bores me. But kudos to the NBA for stopping the testing of a non performance enhancing legal therapeutic substance.
I agree with you 100%, that testing is stupid and pointless for the most part. But the players were stupid in this negotiation. The dollars they gave up just for this was just plain stupid kind of money. This is why the owners almost always win when it comes to collective bargaining and contract negotiations. They almost always fail to see the long game.

Ogee Oglethorpe

Over Macho Grande?
Reaction score
Who says it's any hill to die on? What's wrong with being accurate? There is zero evidence, at least that I've seen, in Gruden's entire coaching history that he is racist in any way. Ask any one of the black coaches that he has helped along the way, the players he's coached, that he's mentored.

Like I said, it's simple. I'll agree he's racist when there are a couple dozen players that come out and validate that comment. I mean, there's nothing holding any of them back now, right? Why wouldn't any former or current players speak up now?

I'll wait patiently for that validation, it seems like a perfectly reasonable compromise to whether or not he's racist.

Top Bottom