Group of 5 Playoff?

MaxyJR1

Reaction score
http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ficials-considering-playoff-non-power-5-teams

"It's been 32 years since a non-Power 5 team won a national championship (BYU in 1984) and it likely will never happen again in the current format. In the first three years of the College Football Playoff, a Group of 5 team has never ranked higher than No. 13 (Memphis in the 2015 initial rankings) by the CFB Playoff selection committee."

Agree that it is impossible in the current format. That's why I'd like them to expand the field to 8. All 5 power conference champs plus the highest ranked non power five champ plus 2 at large. First round is played at home stadium of higher seed the first Saturday of December.

If Houston would of went undefeated I'm pretty sure they would of made the playoffs. It's all about perception and who you play during non conference.

If Houston would of went undefeated I'm pretty sure they would of made the playoffs. It's all about perception and who you play during non conference.

Was just going to say the same thing. It's extremely hard but not impossible.

Who do you put them in over? They beat a 3-6 FCS team (Lamar), and Texas St (2-10 last in Sun Belt). Flip the Navy game to a win and Navy was 8-4. Flip Memphis and their 7-5. They beat Oklahoma and Louisville in Houston, and Ohio State went to Oklahoma and destroyed them. Push comes to shove the Playoff would still be what it is today based on $$$$.

Who do you put them in over? They beat a 3-6 FCS team (Lamar), and Texas St (2-10 last in Sun Belt). Flip the Navy game to a win and Navy was 8-4. Flip Memphis and their 7-5. They beat Oklahoma and Louisville in Houston, and Ohio State went to Oklahoma and destroyed them. Push comes to shove the Playoff would still be what it is today based on $$$$.
IMO unbeaten Houston has a better resume than 1-loss washington

Bias in college football based off money and prestige? Shocking!

Sent from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk.

FWIW the 1984 BYU team wouldn't even have made it into the playoff under the system we have today. They beat an extremely overrated No. 3 Pitt team in the opener (Pitt went on to a 3-7-1 record that season) and then played no other ranked teams. They then beat a 6-5 Michigan team in the Holiday Bowl by a TD. They also won by less than a TD against Hawaii, Wyoming and Air Force.

Do you think Washington is a more valuable commodity than an undefeated Houston team would have been? Washington brings no juice to the table. I think Houston would be in.

Good conversation here. Interesting views. I just challenge everyone to push negative Gopher stuff to the bottom or off the first page by posting new positive posts. For those who will say I see things with Maroon and Gold glasses ... they are right.

Top Bottom