Ground up developmental programs

bga1

Reaction score
Can it be done anymore when you are starting at the bottom? I am not so sure it can. I think you have to get players that provide a jolt of success in order to gain momentum. Wisconsin, MSU and Purdue can go with development because they have a proven track record so players know that if they do the work they rise in the program and the program wins.

The Evans event just underscores the difficulty of making a ground up rebuild work with freshman classes. Kids and society in general are just too fickle. Everyone wants to get theirs NOW.

Ben is going to have to find portal kids this year to get a jump start or it may be too late.

I think you're right, in that any recruit who was overlooked enough to come here, once establishing that he can play, will leave for greener pastures because who wants to lose all the time, especially in this fashion.

In years past, just getting one good guy each class could make a difference because they were pretty much going to be here 4 years.

Now, I think we'd have to drop down in levels and have sustained success and then try and move up and back to B1G. Kinda like how football programs like James Madison, App State, etc find repeated success at a lower level, then start to creep into FBS.

This program doesn't belong in the B1G, and won't, for a while.

I think you are right. In this day and age, people want stuff now. Couple that with the transfer portal and flat out if you aren't winning, mid to high end guys won't want to come. Even if they do, if they perform for you and you don't win much, there is always going to be somebody out there better chirping in their ear to come transfer there.
The one thing that can counter this though is a coach that can flat out win with less. If and when we ever get a guy that can do this, we can build. Not before. I have said this for years. Once you establish you can win with less talent, real talent will decide they want to come play for you, again, not before.

Flat out no.

You cant go full blown started from the bottom now we here.

Rosters will change way too much. Guys can jump ship whenever.

Blue Bloods have their way.

Then you can either go full Otzelberger or Cooley and just reload with transfers and whole new team each year. Or Shaka where you go with recruits plus long term transfers to then hopefully build continuitity.

But you have to use the portal to start the growth of the program. And use it well. Recruiting comes down to 3 aspects now where its truly high schoolers, transfers in and recruiting current players to stay.

I think you are right. In this day and age, people want stuff now. Couple that with the transfer portal and flat out if you aren't winning, mid to high end guys won't want to come. Even if they do, if they perform for you and you don't win much, there is always going to be somebody out there better chirping in their ear to come transfer there.
The one thing that can counter this though is a coach that can flat out win with less.
Yes! If that coach has a track record of doing that- then you can sell it. That's Ben's problem- even if he was that type of guy (which it sure appears he isn't) you can't sell it if there is no past record
If and when we ever get a guy that can do this, we can build. Not before. I have said this for years. Once you establish you can win with less talent, real talent will decide they want to come play for you, again, not before.
100%

This topic just makes me wonder if we can ever claw back to the mediocrity we had under Pitino and smith.

What about Northwestern?

Doubt they get much NIL.

Five losing seasons in a row.

How did they do it this year?

Yes! If that coach has a track record of doing that- then you can sell it. That's Ben's problem- even if he was that type of guy (which it sure appears he isn't) you can't sell it if there is no past record

100%
No past record was the fatal flaw in the hire.

Unfortunately, we are looking up at ground up programs!

This is like the fifth circle of college basketball hell!

Which means we have more of a decent ahead.

What about Northwestern?

Doubt they get much NIL.

Five losing seasons in a row.

How did they do it this year?
The education there is worth a few million. If you are a couple of years in at NW and on track for the degree, you stay.

The education there is worth a few million. If you are a couple of years in at NW and on track for the degree, you stay.
The last sentence is probably correct only because they don't often have guys who go pro.

NW is not Stanford or an Ivy. It's ... not.

It's a plenty good school, but it's not better than Michigan (which is a great public school).

Top Bottom