Grinnell player breaks D-III scoring record with 89 points

89 points and zero dimes

Looking at the boxscore, along with his 89 points he had zero assists. Kris Humphries would be proud of that one.

Hard to fathom that a team can score 97 and lose by 48.

the other stat stuffer in their box score is Jack Adams--4 boards, 4 fouls and got 7 shots up in his 11 minutes of playing time.

So I guess defense is not a point of emphasis in DIII at least with these two teams.

Grinnell has always played this way. They shoot tons of 3s, press the whole game, no defense, etc.

Hard to fathom that a team can score 97 and lose by 48.[/QUOTE said:
Dating myself, but the Loyola Marymount days of Paul Westhead had a lot of games that their opponensts would hit 100 and still lose by 50. Almost unfathomable with today's emphasis on defense and general decline in shooting skills. But fun to watch once in a while.

I played in the same conference as Grinnell and was recruited to play there. It really is a crazy system. But the story behind it is really interesting. Coach Arsenault has several keys to the game that the team tries to hit every night. They've run the stats and found that hitting certain statistical goals basically guarantees a win. They've run the math over the years to hone in on the best strategy. As originally devised the idea was to shoot a 3 within the first 10 seconds of the shot clock and then give up a layup or get a steal within the first 10 seconds of the shotclock while on D. They sub 5 guys at almost every break in the action, even if they just subbed 5 guys 15 seconds ago.

After a couple of down years I think he realized that he had to adjust the style of play slightly based on the skills of the players he has on his team. For instance, with certain "lines" of players they might move to a zone or shoot more twos. But the gun from deep mentality is still the core of what they do as far as I know.

When we played them we were forbidden from shooting any 3 pointers. Heck, basically anything other than a short jumper was frowned on. You looked for layups as often as possible.

They had a game on ESPN2 back in 2005 but sadly, that was one of the down years so it did not make for good TV.

He's from Minnesota! Why didn't Tubby sign him? ;)

Top Bottom