Grey Duck, Minnesota's ultimate frisbee team, goes from 10 students to national rank

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Daily:

Ultimate frisbee began its journey as a University of Minnesota club team in 1996, started by 10 students without a coach.

In 2017, the team has established coaches and is more than double as big, and they've achieved a national prestige. Just last season, Grey Duck, the University's team, finished third in the nation for college club teams. The year before that, the team won their first National Championship.

“It’s been growing,” said captain Tristan Van De Moortele. “Overseas it’s growing, like in Europe and Japan. And while it started here, those other regions around the world are definitely exploding.”

This past week, final roster decisions were made for the Grey Ducks. The new recruits have a lot to live up to as the team seeks to qualify for nationals after several player's from last year's team graduated out. Current co-captains Saurav Dubey, Sam Kaminsky, and Van De Moortele, say the team looks promising.

All three noted that while the team lost key players, it was a roster that had potential. They’re not only optimistic about the team, but also the growth the sport has seen over the years — a growth that has been hard to ignore.

“I started playing when I was in seventh grade,” said Kaminsky. “I’ve seen it go from a few teams to now Minneapolis being one of the biggest youth scenes in the country for ultimate frisbee.”

http://www.mndaily.com/article/2017...am-goes-from-10-students-to-national-pedigree

Go Gophers!!

Solid team, but they're only the second best team in Minnesota -- beat out by a college with only 2000 students -- that'd be Carleton's CUT team.

Top Bottom