Gregg Wong: Dysfunction continues at UMN

Who the hell is gregg Wong?

Another example of the administration’s follies: A former Gophers baseball player made a $500,000 donation to help build the new locker rooms and batting cages at Siebert Field. But a university official told coach John Anderson that the athletic department wanted that donation to go toward the new training/practice facilities for football and basketball (because fundraising for that was lagging). Upon hearing that, the donor said he would not give his money to the university if it was not used as he intended. The baseball program got the money.

To me that's not a follie... The baseball team got their money. All is fine. I can't blame the U for wanting it to go to the student village, or at least asking.

To me that's not a follie... The baseball team got their money. All is fine. I can't blame the U for wanting it to go to the student village, or at least asking.

Sounds like a negotiation to me.

Move forward people...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is a guy searching for a story when there's nothing there. Perkins donated the money for baseball. They asked if it could go to the village. He said no. They said no problem. That equals dysfunction? Whatever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My favorite two quotes from Wong's article: (Writing Maturi out of the Mason decision makes Joel look more spineless than competent).

•Along that same line, university President Eric Kaler hired Norwood Teague to replace the very competent Joel Maturi as athletic director.

Glen Mason was fired as football coach — by university President Bob Bruininks, not by AD Maturi — after that humiliating loss to Texas Tech in the 2006 Fiesta Bowl. Bruininks was so disgusted that the Gophers blew a 31-point lead in the third quarter that he demanded that Maturi fire the coach.

Who the hell is gregg Wong?

He was the long time MIAC writer at the Pioneer Press, until they didn't cover such things anymore. He is now the official scorer at Target Field. He's been a sportswriter since 1969.

Pretty solid take, but I don't hold the media blameless in the on-going turmoil at the U's administrative level. Every time a professor farts in class, it seems to make headlines.

Top Bottom