Greenway

He went to Iowa. So he likes Iowa.

He went to Iowa. So he hates Minnesota.

This is a story?

I almost feel bad tossing your weak garbage out of here. It's not even a fair fight. I could win an argument with you with my basal ganglia tied behind my back.

Glad you can come on here and pump yourself up for the day, hahahaha, you're a total @sskicker Randy.............. oh wait, thats not Randy, its just a 40 year old guy wearing his jersey, damn!

I love Chad Greenway. He is a great football player. I could care less that he went to Iowa. Let him run his mouth all he wants because frankly after that donut we laid last year it is deserved. This is a Viking state and until the Gophers start winning you can't even start to dent that.

Glad you can come on here and pump yourself up for the day, hahahaha, you're a total @sskicker Randy.............. oh wait, thats not Randy, its just a 40 year old guy wearing his jersey, damn!

Way to respond to my points. Oh, that's right, you can't - not without admitting defeat. And as I've told you multiple times, I am 29 years old. Not that it makes any difference - clearly it does in your messed-up world.

And I'm with NateDawg - is he supposed to start loving the Gophers because he plays for the Vikings? That doesn't make any sense. How would you feel if Decker played for the Brewers or Packers a few years from now and started saying the Badgers were the bestest team ever?

Greenway has even more reason to love the Hogeyes, as they were the only team to give an unheralded, small-town boy from SD a chance to play D-I football.

Also don't think for a second that PA won't give him trashtalk back when we beat Iowa, not for PA's love of the gophers,but simply for the radio entertainment aspect of it all. And to be honest, I'd think Greenway would admit defeat when we beat Iowa, he really does seem pretty classy besides his loyalties.
Aside:
(My buddy actually saw Greenway at the gophers iowa game in 06, and yelled out his name in the hall, was greeted with an FU back, but when my freind explained he was a huge Vikes fan not just talking trash, he apologized and got a picture with him.)

Way to respond to my points. Oh, that's right, you can't - not without admitting defeat. And as I've told you multiple times, I am 29 years old. Not that it makes any difference - clearly it does in your messed-up world.

You think I'm going to waste more of my time "responding to your points" so we can have some message board muscle flexing spat, I know you get off on it but I'll just let it go from here.

And am I suppose to remember you mentioned you were 29 in a previous post??? Hahahah, I could give a sh!t about whoever the hell you are.

Your saying I live in a messed up world? Christ I wish I could compare life accomplishments with you. I'm not the guy claiming to own Vikings jerseys either, that pretty much sums it up.

EDIT: and just to let you know, I will not be looking at this thread again, so the big, long, tough guy response you write up won't be read by me.

You think I'm going to waste more of my time "responding to your points" so we can have some message board muscle flexing spat, I know you get off on it but I'll just let it go from here.

And am I suppose to remember you mentioned you were 29 in a previous post??? Hahahah, I could give a sh!t about whoever the hell you are.

Your saying I live in a messed up world? Christ I wish I could compare life accomplishments with you. I'm not the guy claiming to own Vikings jerseys either, that pretty much sums it up.

EDIT: and just to let you know, I will not be looking at this thread again, so the big, long, tough guy response you write up won't be read by me.

All I'm saying is that it's easy to run your mouth when you're hiding behind the anonymity of a message board. I dare you to go up to a group of Vikings fans and tell them to their faces how much they suck because they wear jerseys. Let me know how that turns out for you.

And I don't own "jerseys". Jersey. Singular. And I haven't worn it in 4-5 years. But, by your logic, I'm probably still ok to wear it because I'm not in my "30s or 40s".

Also, I doubt that you forgot how old I am. You went out of your way during one of your previous illogical anti-Viking rambles to tell me how the dates of my graduation and my age "don't match up". Because 2009 - 2002 = 7 and 7 + 22 = 29 is pretty tough arithmetic to figure out. Of course, you're such an imbecile that things like simple math and remembering things that happened two months ago are above your meager brain function.

Snaggle Tooth

Someone should remind our snaggle-toothed LB that Iowa has 7 Big Ten champtionships and 6 National Championships to win before they are even TIED with Minnesota football. He probably needs no reminding, though. Iowa fans are outwardly insecure and hostile over the fact their school has no football tradition of any kind.

And to the extent I hear that Minnesota's success came over 40 years ago, I would only point out that Iowa's came "never".

How about that new stadium, eh? (why did I waste my time reading any of this?)

This is a pretty entertaining thread to read. I have to agree with dpodoll 100%. I am from Minnesota. I love the Gophers, Vikings, Twins, Wolves, Wild. Is that soo bad?

1) Because your in your 30's or 40's, leave it to the kids.

Ah, you're the fashion police now.

2) Have you spent money on a Vikings game or one of your 5 jerseys? "Thanks for the donation" Love, Ziggy.

So, a purchase is a donation? When I shop at Target, am I somehow "donating" to Target?

3) Did you really just say that? OK, let me try to answer this......... because people like you would politely set their man piece in their mouth if asked. Then you would go to the next Vikings Fest with your jersey on to tell them how honored you were.

Obviously you think about this quite a lot. It must be some sort of secret fantasy of yours.

5) If anyone hated the Vikings would you say their reason was anything but "pointless, illogical, hypocritical rationale"? Probably not. Just read this numerous times with your Vikings jerseys on, then look in the mirror and see if you can come to a mutual understanding with yourself.

If their reasoning is pointless, illogical and hypocritical, yes.

The next thing you are going to say is that your dad can beat up his dad. FYI...Getting the high score on Dungeons and Dragons is not a life accomplishment for most.

Sharing a city with the Miami Dolphins did not hurt the Miami Hurricanes on the field.

Is Miami really the best example? The Hurricanes have a pretty crappy fan base.

Actually, some teams play at noon

You invalidated your own point in the very next sentence. If the Gophers started winning big and gaining a huge following, a la OSU, PSU, Mich, we would be on ABC and ESPN a lot more frequently. And we would also not be playing practically every game at 11. (Actually, the Big Ten frequently has a 7 pm game on ABC as well.)

Number of times each time played at 11 last year:
OSU: 7 (played on ABC 6 times, ESPN 2)
PSU: 4 (ABC 6, ESPN 3)
Michigan: 6 (ABC 5, ESPN 2)
Minnesota: 8 (ABC 1, ESPN 2)

I never said we would have to stop playing at 11 - every Big Ten team has to do it. It's just that the teams with a following don't have to do it as often, and are quite frequently on a station that all/most people have. Not once did any of those teams have to play on ESPNU or ESPN Classic. Hell, I had to upgrade my programming package just so I could watch the Bowling Green game. When do you suppose any of the aforementioned teams have had to do that?

This is just further evidence that the Gophers are NOT a big deal to anyone outside the fan base. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that - it's just a fact.

Teams in the eastern time zone start at noon local time

Michigan
Ohio State
Michigan State
Penn State
Purdue
Indiana

The schedule is set up for the east coast.

He is definately a good player. I am not a Viking fan or an NFL fan so it doesn't matter to me.

After you lose 55-0 you will get shit on for a long time by just about everybody.

well, based on some of your posting history/comments i am not sure you are actually a gopher fan either, but rather "play one on this site". kind of like a fake doctor on tv. so i guess you have two things in common.

later hater........ ;)

Never understood why some people make such a big deal about people wearing jerseys. How is a jersey really that much different than wearing a Vikings' sweatshirt or jacket?

People who really notice these things and say how stupid it is are at the games for the wrong reason. If you want to be the "fashion police" just go to the mall or something. Much cheaper.

I see a lot of people wearing Gophers jerseys on Saturdays...is there something wrong with those people too?

I think a lot of the hatred towards pro sports markets has to do with the fact that we do compete with them for fans, interest, media coverage, and money. People in this state can only afford to watch/attend so many events. And while today the metro/state has enough people to technically support all of them, unless we begin winning big it won't happen for the Gophers. When pro franchises came to town, college sports was relegated to a "second class" sport, in fans' eyes and by the media. Franchises like the Vikings and Wolves only helped promote that image. The Vikings organization is also one of the reasons the football program at the U made very little revenue out of the move to the dome. COuld we have signed a better contract or stayed in Memorial Stadium? Yes, but we were squeezed by many different parties into the situation. Fast forward to this year, and the Vikings tried to strong-arm the Gophers in to a shared stadium situation again, something that would have been bad for us. Throw in the fact that there is far less loyalty to the state/team in the NFL (or other pro franchises) and some tend to prefer college vs pro, with some swinging towards a dislike towards the franchises that they perceive have added to the decline of the sport they follow most. It isn't that irrational, it is a human emotional response to a perceived issue.

Do I think if the Vikings, Wolves, Wild, etc left town today all our problems would be solved? Not really. I think cultivating a good football, hockey, etc atmosphere in a state or region nowadays needs good programs at ALL levels. Would there potentially be more people willing to spend time watching the U's programs since it was the biggest game in town? Probably. But winning is the main thing that will draw a bigger fan base. Win, create a good, fun, lasting atmosphere in case there are a few down years, then win some more. That's how people are fans for teams.

As for Greenway, he can say whatever he likes, it would be nice if he did it with a bit more class than he did. But we would all be applauding Decker or Barber or whoever if they did it the other way around.

Edit: By the way I'm not really lame and up at 3 am on a Tues, I am in Germany working...

One reason I am so glad we have the new stadium is that if the Vikings were to leave, the Gophers would have been used as a bargaining chip for a new team. If the Vikings were to leave, there would be a tremendous effort to get another NFL team here. I watch the Vikings, but I can miss a game without being bothered much by it. But have to miss a Gophers game, that's much more of a problem. Most of the people in the stands at Gophers games are probably watching the Vikings (or some other NFL team) on Sunday.

Then there are some Gopher fans who follow the NFL, they just aren't fans of the Vikings, preferring instead some other NFL team. There's no obligation for a Gopher fan to be a Vikings fan.

Maybe the Vikings should get a stadium in Saint Cloud or Mankato. People watching the games on TV would be unaffected, yet it would be close enough for ticket holders to make the drive. They are, after all, the Minnesota Vikings, not the Minneapolis Vikings.

One reason I am so glad we have the new stadium is that if the Vikings were to leave, the Gophers would have been used as a bargaining chip for a new team. If the Vikings were to leave, there would be a tremendous effort to get another NFL team here. I watch the Vikings, but I can miss a game without being bothered much by it. But have to miss a Gophers game, that's much more of a problem. Most of the people in the stands at Gophers games are probably watching the Vikings (or some other NFL team) on Sunday.

Then there are some Gopher fans who follow the NFL, they just aren't fans of the Vikings, preferring instead some other NFL team. There's no obligation for a Gopher fan to be a Vikings fan.

Maybe the Vikings should get a stadium in Saint Cloud or Mankato. People watching the games on TV would be unaffected, yet it would be close enough for ticket holders to make the drive. They are, after all, the Minnesota Vikings, not the Minneapolis Vikings.

I do think that if the Vikings ever get a new stadium, it should be built in the western or northern suburbs somewhere away from downtown.

I do think that if the Vikings ever get a new stadium, it should be built in the western or northern suburbs somewhere away from downtown.

Depends, too, on what the "goal" of a new Vikings stadium is. If it is to "only" host the Vikings, then the burbs are fine.

But, if a new Vikings stadium would also be a "convention center", a host of the Final Four, other NCAA basketball rounds, a potential Super Bowl host, etc., then I am not sure the burbs would be attractive to selection committees. Super Bowl and Final Four folks especially want lots of hotel rooms within a short walk or ride, plus ample convention areas.

Of course, that all assumes the Vikings would go with a retractable roof or a dome in new construction (which I think they would).

I want to know if sonnygarcia thinks the Gophers care about him.

Top Bottom