Gray's injury? Gray's knee OK, but ankle will sideline him awhile

Well, this answers the question on Nelson vs. Mitch.

Shortell better have his helmet strapped on tight. Wouldn't it be something if that silly rule caused us to have to burn Nelson's red shirt?

Shortell better have his helmet strapped on tight. Wouldn't it be something if that silly rule caused us to have to burn Nelson's red shirt?

With Gray out, I'm guessing Foreman suites up. If his helmet comes off, they can put in Foreman or let Maye (who was a QB in HS) handle one play.

Right, theyre never gonna burn the RS because of the helmet rule. Injury to Max would obviously be different.

What does it take to burn a redshirt. I think it is more than one play ... maybe I'm wrong.

Right, theyre never gonna burn the RS because of the helmet rule. Injury to Max would obviously be different.

If Max gets hurt they have to put Nelson in. Plus if he is going to be the back-up or push to be starter next year, it can't hurt for him to get snaps.

Glad Kill came out and said it right away so that people don't have to go nuts speculating about who is next in line behind Max. Course the downside to that is that if Max struggles against Syracuse and it looks like Gray will miss the entire month then this place will explode with Nelson talk. Hopefully Max can hold down the fort and expand on the obvious talent he has displayed in small doses so far in his Gopher career. Certainly changes the focus of our offense and is going to put a lot more pressure on Kirkwood and the other backs to pick up the rushing load that Gray provided.

Glad Kill came out and said it right away so that people don't have to go nuts speculating about who is next in line behind Max. Course the downside to that is that if Max struggles against Syracuse and it looks like Gray will miss the entire month then this place will explode with Nelson talk. Hopefully Max can hold down the fort and expand on the obvious talent he has displayed in small doses so far in his Gopher career. Certainly changes the focus of our offense and is going to put a lot more pressure on Kirkwood and the other backs to pick up the rushing load that Gray provided.

With Max at qb the defense will not be able to load up the box as they did against mg, which should open some room for our rbs. Kirkwood had a big second half yesterday when this happened.

Sorry, but I got tired of watching mg pull in the ball and then running into the middle of a 10 player scrum at the line of scrimmage.

Max will have a 3 game span to put in such a spectacular performance that he finishes the year out. The" Polish Rifle", Don Majkowski went down and this kid named Favre came in and the rest is sexting history.

Max is a solid QB. The Gophers will be fine. I'm not worried about him.

What I am concerned about is Shabazz being injured. Syracuse is a good passing team. They already have 1139 yds passing, averaging almost 380 per game. Shabazz was a very solid CB.

It would be a lot worse if they were a good running team!

Mitch Leidner will be a good backup to Max if needed. Are you people forgetting we have Leidner??? Why burn Nelsons Redshirt? If we get down to a 3rd QB we are already in trouble no matter who it is.

Mitch Leidner will be a good backup to Max if needed. Are you people forgetting we have Leidner??? Why burn Nelsons Redshirt? If we get down to a 3rd QB we are already in trouble no matter who it is.

Parski, I really think that you are way high hung up on the concept of burning Nelson's redshirt. Kill is gonna do what he is gonna do for the present and the future without any blinders on. Another question back at you, then, is why burn Leidner's redshirt?

Kill already said Leidner is redshirting and Nelson is the 3rd QB. Why would he flip flop now?

With Max at qb the defense will not be able to load up the box as they did against mg, which should open some room for our rbs. Kirkwood had a big second half yesterday when this happened.

Sorry, but I got tired of watching mg pull in the ball and then running into the middle of a 10 player scrum at the line of scrimmage.

Tough concept to grasp, isn't it? Kirkwood got around 85 yards rushing in the 2+ quarters he played after Gray went down, and most of that was against a defense that knew the Gophers were trying to milk the clock. I'd be shocked if Kirkwood doesn't find some bigger running lanes against Syracuse, now that there's the threat of the forward pass.

And average 5.2 yards a carry.

Looking at the schedule we have Syracuse, Iowa, and then the Bye week. Before Northwestern at home. That would be about 4 weeks. Depending on the severity, therapy, and Grays ability to heal it could be 4-6 weeks. The Bye could not come at a better time. Beat Syracuse!!!!

Looking at the schedule we have Syracuse, Iowa, and then the Bye week. Before Northwestern at home. That would be about 4 weeks. Depending on the severity, therapy, and Grays ability to heal it could be 4-6 weeks. The Bye could not come at a better time. Beat Syracuse!!!!

Other then getting the chance to start against UNH you are correct it doesn't get much better than this for Shortell. Both games (Syracuse, Iowa) have the potential to be tough close games but both are also very winnable given that Syracuse is at home and Iowa has looked really weak to date. They are always tough in Kinnick but not much to be scared of through 3 games.

A high ankle sprain is a much bigger concern when you have a QB that relies on his legs. Even after they heal the discomfort tends to linger which may make Gray more tentative when he does get back in there. Obviously the running game is key for Gray and any chance of success he might have.

Parski, I really think that you are way high hung up on the concept of burning Nelson's redshirt. Kill is gonna do what he is gonna do for the present and the future without any blinders on. Another question back at you, then, is why burn Leidner's redshirt?
Doc - What I'm saying is I would rather keep Nelson Redshirted and use Leidner as Shortell's backup. Obviously Kill will not listen to me....so.... Just saying. I liked Leidner's arm during spring practices. Again If Gray is gone for a few weeks and Shortell gets hurt I don't care who the 3rd QB is - it will be trouble.

And average 5.2 yards a carry.

And in the second half with Max at qb and WM not able to stack the box, Kirkwood ran 15/86 (5.7 avg).

The threat of a passing game does help.

Edit: First half Kirkwood 8/24 (3.0 avg)....I don't have the breakdown of first half with mg or max at qb.

Doc - What I'm saying is I would rather keep Nelson Redshirted and use Leidner as Shortell's backup. Obviously Kill will not listen to me....so.... Just saying. I liked Leidner's arm during spring practices. Again If Gray is gone for a few weeks and Shortell gets hurt I don't care who the 3rd QB is - it will be trouble.

So you think Mitch would do a better job if he needed to play right now? If you don't care who the 3rd QB is if Shortell gets hurt then I'm confused. They don't burn Nelson's RS by naming him the backup. Are you concerned about the "put him in if Max's helmet came off" thing?

And in the second half with Max at qb and WM not able to stack the box, Kirkwood ran 15/86 (5.7 avg).

The threat of a passing game does help.

Edit: First half Kirkwood 8/24 (3.0 avg)....I don't have the breakdown of first half with mg or max at qb.

Kirkwood also had 6.2 a pop against UNLV, you can take different segments of plenty of games and pull out good numbers I'm sure. But, I think the key of that is, against UNLV, Gray threw 30 times. I don't think it matters who the QB is, they gotta throw more. Even with his misses, Gray was 17/30 and then 6/8. And only one pick. I don't think the coaches are not throwing because they don't think Gray can do it. I think they're just being a tad stubborn about getting this run game going. But when Max came in, they had no choice but to get some throws up, cause that's his strength. You can't ground and pound with a guy like Max. It so happened, against WMU, it provided an excellent spark. Hopefully he can continue that against Syracuse and beyond.

Kirkwood also had 6.2 a pop against UNLV, you can take different segments of plenty of games and pull out good numbers I'm sure. But, I think the key of that is, against UNLV, Gray threw 30 times. I don't think it matters who the QB is, they gotta throw more. Even with his misses, Gray was 17/30 and then 6/8. And only one pick. I don't think the coaches are not throwing because they don't think Gray can do it. I think they're just being a tad stubborn about getting this run game going. But when Max came in, they had no choice but to get some throws up, cause that's his strength. You can't ground and pound with a guy like Max. It so happened, against WMU, it provided an excellent spark. Hopefully he can continue that against Syracuse and beyond.

And with that I would much rather have Max.

Also; I was comparing results vs the same opponent.(WM)

And with that I would much rather have Max.

Also; I was comparing results vs the same opponent.(WM)

Fair enough, I don't know if it's as obvious that Max should be starter because he's a better thrower, but I can easily understand that position. I just like Gray's dual threat abilities, but if either the coaches aren't comfortable enough to use them (let him throw more often), or he just flat out won't throw it (pass called, but pulls it down to often) then it's not gonna help us anyway. I just have a concern that once things tighten up, those throwing opportunities won't be as open and having Gray's ability to move around will be of great value.

Top Bottom