Gray and Maresh officially sign!

BBShopGo4

Sec. 213, Row 29
Reaction score
Found this is Marcus Fuller's blog this morning. Gray and Maresh are now official signed, sealed and delivered.

http://blogs.twincities.com/gophers/2008/12/gray_and_maresh_sign.html

These two players have already made a big impact on the program without ever suiting up:

- Maresh - The first to commit to Brewster and start the trend of top MN players staying home. Has been a tireless booster and "recruiter". His determination in coming back from his heart surgery has set an example for all other Gopher players.

- Gray - All-Star game commit last year provided big PR for the program. His commitment to the program and determination to get through his qualification issues is another great example.

They should make an even bigger impact on the field next year! I can't wait for Spring Practice!

How fast is Maresh?

and if he is fairly fast.....why would he not start?

How fast is Maresh?

and if he is fairly fast.....why would he not start?
Because he's been away from football for a year due to open heart surgery.

Because he's been away from football for a year due to open heart surgery.

they have given him the ok to play.......and next year is months away.....if he cant start because of heart surgery....i cant imagine they let him on the field

We have to remember that this team is not as full of hole and lack of depth as it was last year. There's guys ahead of him that can play. Freshmen will get reps, but it will be harder for them to get that starting spot than it has been around here.

Where will Sam be? Ahead of where he would have been as a true freshman. Behind where he would have been as a sophmore. A green light is a green light. Young men like Sam have incredible recovery capabilities. Ready for football is ready for football and Coach Hill and Coach Roof will do their part to prepare him both physically and mentally. He is a stud. I'm really pulling for this kid to be an All American before he leaves.

Gray? Just as excited to have him here and with Coach Hill, Dunbar, and Brewster. Coach Davis will make Gray even more dangerous with his feet too. We will be greatly improved next year, again.

well if he is fully healed

and runs well

and is 240 pounds

and we know he is smart

why would he not be on the field?

well if he is fully healed

and runs well

and is 240 pounds

and we know he is smart

why would he not be on the field?

Because there might be somebody better.....

We'll know a lot more about it next September....

and I believe he will be on the field next year. I don't believe he will start until 2010 IMO

We have to remember that this team is not as full of hole and lack of depth as it was last year. There's guys ahead of him that can play. Freshmen will get reps, but it will be harder for them to get that starting spot than it has been around here.

I agree. This is gonna go off topic about Maresh a bit, but I do think he will play behind Campbell and get good reps. As far as your statement about less holes, I don't think you could be more right. In fact I don't see that many freshman playing this year with the majority of this class redshirting. There are only two, minus the JC guys, that I can see playing right away. Lipscomb and Hageman. Everyone else should be RS along with both of those guys if possible. Of course if they can help you win though, you have to play 'em. I just hope they won't use a year of eligibility on a player only to have them play special teams. just seems like a waste when they use up a year of eligibility like that and they haven't redshirted.

I have seen this kid play plenty. This guy plays like a beast, and for as nice a kid as he is, he is one mean guy on the field.
Mark it down.......they will not be able to keep him off the field next season. I bet he plays along side Campbell.

Maresh Speed

The question was asked, how fast is Sam Maresh.

According to his Rivals page from last season he runs a 4.7 40 yard dash. For reference, that is the same that Lauranitis ran coming out of HS but he is an additional 20 lbs.

The other question has been why doesn't he start.

He may start but he'll have to beat out Lee Campbell for the job and Nate Triplett is also ahead of him on the depth chart going in to spring ball. If Maresh ends up winning the job at MLB (which I doubt) it is a huge plus for the team because there is no better signal of improvement in personnel than when a returning starter gets benched for a newcomer (assuming the starter didn't regress). There is more to football than just size and speed and it is rare for a freshman MLB to be ready to make all of the reads and have the technique to get off blocks better than a senior that is a returning starter. His potential implies that he will be better than Lee Campbell in the long run but not necessarily in his first year on campus.

I like Sam as much as the next guy, but whoever suggested he may play alongside Lee Campbell, if that happens we are fielding a very slow LB corp. I hope to see more Cooper along side Campbell and Lawrence and maybe more speed guys like Leon if he signs. As for beating out Triplett for playing time, it shouldn't be a problem.

Top Bottom