Grassroots Sizzle Director says why Suggs & Holmgren didn't commit to Gophers | Full interview

“Any type of contact that me and Larry Suggs has had with him (Ben Johnson) and his staff has been very minimal””@

wtf??? Seriously?? Sounds like the opposite of everything else thats Ben said about BJ locally.

He sounds jaded about something

Interesting interview. Obviously, he wants the local coaches to suck up to him and that's not happening. He certainly is no friend of the U of M, that's for sure. I do like what he said about Carrington though....

This dude is a fucking donkey, tweets out fake offers that his players think are committable to schools like Florida and TCU and when the kids try to set up a visit, staffs just laugh at them and hang up. Team had Dodd, Wilson, Prince, Carrington, Pennebaker, Donovahn Smith, Chase Carter and Malcom Jones and still had a losing record on the Under Armor Circuit

This dude is a fucking donkey, tweets out fake offers that his players think are committable to schools like Florida and TCU and when the kids try to set up a visit, staffs just laugh at them and hang up. Team had Dodd, Wilson, Prince, Carrington, Pennebaker, Donovahn Smith, Chase Carter and Malcom Jones and still had a losing record on the Under Armor Circuit
Sounds personal. Don’t know the fake offer stuff but I do know about shoe circuits. Those names sound good but to compete on those circuits you need pros. Ben only targeted one player from that team and got him. I think there’s some truth to what he said along with some theater.

Sounds personal. Don’t know the fake offer stuff but I do know about shoe circuits. Those names sound good but to compete on those circuits you need pros. Ben only targeted one player from that team and got him. I think there’s some truth to what he said along with some theater.
I know some players on that team and those fake offers are legit. Sizzle was a mess last year and it's why Suggs came back in and is running it again. This is Sandifer just looking to get some attention like always.

AAU leadership at its worst. Willie Wilson to Florida seems to be an offer that wasn’t legit.

Sandifer is a clown, what a pathetic interview. Dude clearly has an axe to grind, he consistently lies about offers for his players, etc.

Exactly what was the point in posting this on a Gopher affiliated website?
I personally thought it was interesting. I’ve assumed for years that the local AAU mafia has had a problem with the Gophers. This confirms it. What tipped Carrington to the Gophers when you have this clown in charge? Whether we like it or not, support from AAU coaches is necessary. As slimy as it is…I need a shower after listening to that interview.

Sandifer is a clown, what a pathetic interview. Dude clearly has an axe to grind, he consistently lies about offers for his players, etc.

Exactly what was the point in posting this on a Gopher affiliated website?
Is Tony Liebert professionally mentored by Nadine? His Twitter account says he contributes to GH, but most of the stuff I see him posting on here is his own personal branded content.

If GopherHole had paid him to do this for them, it would've been branded as GH content.

I personally thought it was interesting. I’ve assumed for years that the local AAU mafia has had a problem with the Gophers. This confirms it. What tipped Carrington to the Gophers when you have this clown in charge? Whether we like it or not, support from AAU coaches is necessary. As slimy as it is…I need a shower after listening to that interview.
Carrington said the new staff is why he was a gopher and that they built a great relationship with him. Said he wouldn't be here otherwise in another interview (too lazy to find right now). Again Sandifer likes drama and that's all he's doing here. It is fair to share this on a MN board when he is still somewhat influential (he's losing this daily)

I would hope recruits and their parents/guardians would be able to see through someone like this, and not let influence the college decision.

Just because he's the program director and/or coach (not sure which), doesn't mean you should let him influence your decision.

It sounds like he has done a lot of work to give kids a chance to play AAU basketball. I understand what he was talking about early on in the creation of the program. It is always good to give more kids the opportunity to grow and improve instead of just the few that are early bloomers.

I know some players on that team and those fake offers are legit. Sizzle was a mess last year and it's why Suggs came back in and is running it again. This is Sandifer just looking to get some attention like always.
What does that have to do with the conversation? Carrington played Sizzle and is still a Gopher correct? Ben doesn’t have to recruit AAU programs directors. Let’s be honest, D1 has struggled the last couple of years and since Michael Hurt they haven’t been advocated for the Gophers. Like I said, seems personal and has hidden innuendos attached.

What does that have to do with the conversation? Carrington played Sizzle and is still a Gopher correct? Ben doesn’t have to recruit AAU programs directors. Let’s be honest, D1 has struggled the last couple of years and since Michael Hurt they haven’t been advocated for the Gophers. Like I said, seems personal and has hidden innuendos attached.
JOJ played for D1, thought you said you knew shoe circuits? LOL and I'm not hiding anything and everything I said has definitely been confirmed by others in this thread

JOJ played for D1, thought you said you knew shoe circuits? LOL and I'm not hiding anything and everything I said has definitely been confirmed by others in this thread
Ha… I get it now. You’re a D1 guy!! That’s why the personal attacks. Makes sense. Ive actually been more aligned with Pulley and Magic (before D1 stole their players). I was wondering why you cared about fake offers. I’m personally happy we got Carrington. Wish we got King and Holaman but guess D1 and Pulley had other plans.

Ha… I get it now. You’re a D1 guy!! That’s why the personal attacks. Makes sense. Ive actually been more aligned with Pulley and Magic (before D1 stole their players). I was wondering why you cared about fake offers. I’m personally happy we got Carrington. Wish we got King and Holaman but guess D1 and Pulley had other plans.
And if you want to have a real a real conversation about the history of what is now
and if you wanna have a real conversation about the history of what is now D1 I’d love to have it. So I’d chill if I were you when you think you can come at me.

When I have direct knowledge of him lying about offers I think it speaks to his credibility. Just sharing what I know about Sizzle last year. I think it’s prevalent when we look at maybe why Ben doesn’t talk with him much

Pulley had been pretty decent to the gophers and like Ben. I’m not a D1 fan either as a gopher fan, but Ben’s been putting in time and they seem to be more receptive to him

They didn’t commit because nearly all top 10 players don’t commit to their home state unless said team is a blue blood. It’s been that way for over a decade.

They didn’t commit because nearly all top 10 players don’t commit to their home state unless said team is a blue blood. It’s been that way for over a decade.
This is 100% the right take. That said, I wish some of these people would just say that rather than create some fairy tale where they actually wanted to come here. They didn't and that's totally ok and as you pointed out, it's pretty normal too.

When I have direct knowledge of him lying about offers I think it speaks to his credibility. Just sharing what I know about Sizzle last year. I think it’s prevalent when we look at maybe why Ben doesn’t talk with him much
Fake offers are prevalent to the conversation about the Gophers? I don’t see it. How does fake offers hurt the Gophers? You made a personal attack on the man which leads me to believe it’s personal

Fake offers are prevalent to the conversation about the Gophers? I don’t see it. How does fake offers hurt the Gophers? You made a personal attack on the man which leads me to believe it’s personal
When he was a director of a program in this state and many gopher fans want MN kids it does matter and is prevalent when he bashed Ben. Yes I personally think he’s not fair or good to kids and I justified why I feel that way by talking about the fake offers. If you have a rebuttal about his character I’m willing to listen but I don’t know many guys who speak highly of him.

Nope not talking to you 2 days later. If you wanna air it out let’s go!

Serious question here. Is it more important for the staff to have relationships with AAU coaches or with high school coaches? I would assume both but have heard that the staff has great ties with the high school coaches. And I would think Ben is good at developing relationships with the recruit and their families. But yet, maybe none of this matters if we can’t package a good NIL deal.

Serious question here. Is it more important for the staff to have relationships with AAU coaches or with high school coaches? I would assume both but have heard that the staff has great ties with the high school coaches. And I would think Ben is good at developing relationships with the recruit and their families. But yet, maybe none of this matters if we can’t package a good NIL deal.
Honestly, with the contact times and college basketball game schedule, AAU coaches typically are more involved in athletes recruiting. That being said, this isn't the case with every kid. Pretty much all college coaches are talking with both of them. From a numbers standpoint, being good with AAU coaches is just better from a numbers standpoint because it's all "elite" players vs. High School have more non college level kids, etc...

High school coaches X100

Top Bottom