Grambling St fires its second head coach during this season!

Now that's crazy. I remember the first firing was pretty convoluted and sounded like a train wreck. It may be time for a new AD as well.

Grambling is suffering from an inability to reconcile what it was in its glory days with what it is now. The times of Eddie Robinson as the dean of coaches, numerous NFL prospects, and a large national following are over and have been for quite some time. Grambling is all about legacy and a great marching band now, but it's a weak program by FCS standards. The lack of funding is an obvious issue with the mutiny. Facilities and travel arrangements have been subpar. Pride keeps Grambling from embracing the obvious solution.

It needs to follow the likes of Florida A&M and Alabama State by seeking out paydays from FBS schools. Go to Auburn or Oklahoma State, take a 54-10 loss, and go home with the money needed to keep the lights on so to speak. Grambling was once a profitable road show, playing a half dozen games per season in major, neutral site stadiums in front of big crowds. It still plays a few such games, but the attendance isn't what it used to be. It can't act like it's 1965 or 1975 anymore, even 1985. It must right size and take big money where it can get it to stay alive.

Grambling is suffering from an inability to reconcile what it was in its glory days with what it is now. The times of Eddie Robinson as the dean of coaches, numerous NFL prospects, and a large national following are over and have been for quite some time. Grambling is all about legacy and a great marching band now, but it's a weak program by FCS standards. The lack of funding is an obvious issue with the mutiny. Facilities and travel arrangements have been subpar. Pride keeps Grambling from embracing the obvious solution.

It needs to follow the likes of Florida A&M and Alabama State by seeking out paydays from FBS schools. Go to Auburn or Oklahoma State, take a 54-10 loss, and go home with the money needed to keep the lights on so to speak. Grambling was once a profitable road show, playing a half dozen games per season in major, neutral site stadiums in front of big crowds. It still plays a few such games, but the attendance isn't what it used to be. It can't act like it's 1965 or 1975 anymore, even 1985. It must right size and take big money where it can get it to stay alive.

Very good post, and yeah, I think you're right.

It's pretty incredible to think about the quality of players which have come out of that program- four NFL Hall of Famers since 1963 (Willie Davis, Buck Buchanan, Willie Brown, and Charlie Joiner), along with countless others (Doug Williams, Sammy White, Everson Walls, Jake Reed, Bennie Thompson etc etc etc) all of whom spent a highly productive decade or more in the NFL, but you are absolutely correct in that the reality is, those days are sadly gone for Grambling State.

I know for a fact it is very difficult to let go of the idea of what used to be, but know equally well there is no solution in trying so desperately to hold on to a past which no longer exists, and that eventually you just simply have to let go of that, and move on to the new reality, painful as that might be- and it is always painful letting go of what seemed once far better days.

Also no references to the new norwood or prexy k.

And do not forget Joel MACturi (or at least I think that's how he did that anyway). I don't know. Wren is like a really (*really*) odd and different art-form which would be impossible to replicate even if desired, which is precisely what makes him such a worthwhile character.

Did their AD give him an extension before firing him?

So according to the story it was the players that got the interim coach removed from his duties. I wonder what he was doing that had them put his removal as a condition of ending their boycott? Sounds like a really messed up situation all the way around.

Grambling just cancelled their game tomorrow vs. Jackson St.

One thing that hurts the SWAC is that they continue to refuse to participate in the FCS playoffs. It used to make some sense, because of the conference's big end of season Bayou Classic, but I think it's going to be harder to justify that in recruiting when it means that kids going to the SWAC schools have nothing else to play for.

The other thing is the whole notion of the HBCU's. The whole notion of colleges based mainly on racial lines is such an anachronism these days. Most are now just underfunded state schools in states that aren't exactly known for their education spending anyway (like Louisiana). Like SR said - they need to suck it up and take a beating game against an SEC school to fund their program independently - the state isn't going to do it.

Top Bottom