Gordon Lightfoot / RIP

I ran across an article talking about the song "Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald." A meteorologist and another weather expert went through the weather conditions in Nov of '75 that led to the sinking of the ship. they concluded that the song was actually very accurate in its depiction of the weather and the events that took place.

on a less-serious note, as a former radio announcer, songs like "Edmund Fitzgerald" served an important role in the radio business-especially in the old days before computers and automation. If an announcer needed to go "#2" - they needed a longer song to accomplish the task and make it back to the control room in time. So I can state with some accuracy that more radio announcers have taken dumps to "Edmund Fitzgerald" and "American Pie" than to any other songs in history.

Nothing beats this for the above mentioned issue.

He was a dang embodiment of 1970s singer-songwriterness. When you think of that era and genre, he's one of the handful of people you think of right off.

Crazy that he was just on tour 2022, and was scheduled this year.

In the documentary Gordon Lightfoot: If You Could Read My Mind, Lightfoot reveals that the song Sundown is about his stormy relationship with Cathy Smith, who was later sent to prison for delivering a lethal dose of heroin to John Belushi. In the early '70s, with his marriage crumbling, Lightfoot moved in with Smith for about three years. "It was one of those relationships where you get a feeling of danger," he said.

First words of the Weezer song "Heart Songs":

Gordon Lightfoot/
Sang a song/
About a boat/
That sank in the lake/
At the break/
Of the morning

Top Bottom