GopherSports: Kickoff Time, TV Set For Season-Opener at USC; ABC!!

Awesome! I'm guessing it will be a regional game but looking at the schedule that day there aren't a lot of other appealing games yet to be scheduled so we'll probably get a good slice of the coverage map.

Considering we usually open in obscurity, it's kinda cool to have an ABC game to open the season. They should have a lot to talk about, that's for sure. A win there could be huge for getting Kill off to a good start, or at least a very good showing.

Ugh...we HATE 12:30 games! Not enough time to tailgate, no time to spend on campus...and you're sitting in the hot sun in September, in the Coliseum.

Wish we could offer the full experience to our guests.

yea, night game at the coliseum is amazing!! but all in all, any national coverage is sweet for the gophers.

yea, night game at the coliseum is amazing!! but all in all, any national coverage is sweet for the gophers.

Except it probably won't be national. It's sad that the ABC games have gone from the only time you could see them 20 years ago, to the only time you might not see them now. Hopefully the ESPN2 mirror is in effect for this game.

Ugh...we HATE 12:30 games! Not enough time to tailgate, no time to spend on campus...and you're sitting in the hot sun in September, in the Coliseum.

Well, we like 2:30 PM games. ;) Seriously though, starting at 12:30 PM local is a lot better than starting at 11:00 AM local time like we often do.

Funny that you hate 12:30 games - we get stuck with plenty of 11AM games. I think we'd be pretty happy to at least get those pushed to 12:30.

Except it probably won't be national. It's sad that the ABC games have gone from the only time you could see them 20 years ago, to the only time you might not see them now. Hopefully the ESPN2 mirror is in effect for this game.

All B1G games mirror when they are on ABC. But they'll put in on ABC in the MN DMA's as well to make sure the visitor's home market is covered.

I'm just excited about being able to catch this game at home on HD rather than the fuzzy big screen over at BWWs.

And TrojanPrincess.. You have it easy with games that start at 12:30! We have to deal with 11am starts ALL the damn time.

I'm just excited about being able to catch this game at home on HD rather than the fuzzy big screen over at BWWs.

And TrojanPrincess.. You have it easy with games that start at 12:30! We have to deal with 11am starts ALL the damn time.

11am?? Very few of our games start that early (12:30) - maybe two a season, at most. Good Lord, that is ungodly. What happens to tailgating?? The lighting of the Olympic Torch to mark the beginning of the 4th quarter, in broad daylight, loses all the pageantry. Isn't that what CFB between to traditional powers all about?

Ugh, can't feed our visitors with the vast varieties of international food cooked on game day.

11am?? Very few of our games start that early (12:30) - maybe two a season, at most. Good Lord, that is ungodly. What happens to tailgating?? The lighting of the Olympic Torch to mark the beginning of the 4th quarter, in broad daylight, loses all the pageantry. Isn't that what CFB between to traditional powers all about?

Ugh, can't feed our visitors with the vast varieties of international food cooked on game day.

Perhaps I'm not as dedicated, but with 11AM, you pick your battles when it comes to tailgating. Wisconsin & Iowa? You leave the suburbs at 6:30AM. Miami Ohio & New Mexico State? You get a table at a Dinkytown bar & restaurant.

And we totally have the same problem...it's hard to see when we light the torch for hosting the '90 Olympic festival prior to the 4th quarter beginning. :)

Perhaps I'm not as dedicated, but with 11AM, you pick your battles when it comes to tailgating. Wisconsin & Iowa? You leave the suburbs at 6:30AM. Miami Ohio & New Mexico State? You get a table at a Dinkytown bar & restaurant.

And we totally have the same problem...it's hard to see when we light the torch for hosting the '90 Olympic festival prior to the 4th quarter beginning. :)

HA!! That's funny. I forgot about the Olympic Festival we hosted. I went to the hoops events and got to see The Daddy and Damon Bailey play.

Go Gophers!!

HA!! That's funny. I forgot about the Olympic Festival we hosted. I went to the hoops events and got to see The Daddy and Damon Bailey play.

Go Gophers!!

I don't remember Damon Bailey playing in it, but do remember the first time I saw Shaquille O'Neal, and it was in Williams Arena.

Went to about 50% of the hockey games at the Met Center.

All B1G games mirror when they are on ABC. But they'll put in on ABC in the MN DMA's as well to make sure the visitor's home market is covered.

Previously they have generally mirrored the 3:30 ABC games, but not always on ESPN2, sometimes on a non-HD alternate channel and sometimes blacked out if you didn't have Game Plan. (At least on DirecTV.) The primetime games aren't mirrored, so if not in your market you have to have Game Plan. Anyway, here's hoping it's on the local ABC and/or mirrored on ESPN2 HD.

Previously they have generally mirrored the 3:30 ABC games, but not always on ESPN2, sometimes on a non-HD alternate channel and sometimes blacked out if you didn't have Game Plan. (At least on DirecTV.) The primetime games aren't mirrored, so if not in your market you have to have Game Plan. Anyway, here's hoping it's on the local ABC and/or mirrored on ESPN2 HD.

The new B1G contract should have all games mirrored all the time to an ESPN. I'm not aware of a game in the last couple of years where this hasn't been the case. Though now that I think of it, I'm thinking of B1G conference games not non-con. So maybe the non-cons are different for the B1G.

When I made that last statement I also wasn't thinking about how this is a "Pac-12" game since it's at USC and thus it falls under their media contracts. In previous years this prob wouldn't have been mirrored but I believe the new Pac-12 commish finally rectified his predecessor's mistake (the last commish turned down ABC/ESPN's offer to mirror for some effing reason).

The new B1G contract should have all games mirrored all the time to an ESPN. I'm not aware of a game in the last couple of years where this hasn't been the case. Though now that I think of it, I'm thinking of B1G conference games not non-con. So maybe the non-cons are different for the B1G.

When I made that last statement I also wasn't thinking about how this is a "Pac-12" game since it's at USC and thus it falls under their media contracts. In previous years this prob wouldn't have been mirrored but I believe the new Pac-12 commish finally rectified his predecessor's mistake (the last commish turned down ABC/ESPN's offer to mirror for some effing reason).

Good point on the fact that this isn't technically a B1G game. So, really I have no idea what they will do. They have not mirrored B1G primetime games, because there is always a national game on both ESPN and ESPN2 at that time. I know for certain the MN/OSU game was not available outside the B1G foot-print unless you had Game Plan. I was dumb enough to pay the fee for one day of it to watch the debacle.

Exactly what you'd think...turnout and intensity get depressed (though we're not a strong tailgating fanbase right now as is).

No matter if the game is at 5pm or 7:30pm...people camp out before dawn to get our favorite spot, and since the weather is mild, most of us invest in all the tailgate gear.

Tailgating is a big part of our game experience.

Good point on the fact that this isn't technically a B1G game. So, really I have no idea what they will do. They have not mirrored B1G primetime games, because there is always a national game on both ESPN and ESPN2 at that time. I know for certain the MN/OSU game was not available outside the B1G foot-print unless you had Game Plan. I was dumb enough to pay the fee for one day of it to watch the debacle.

Ah...yea, wasn't thinking of the primetime games either. =)

No Gopher games on ABC have been available in Orlando via Dish in the past two years, either on ABC or ESPN. I've come to dread the announcement that they will be on ABC.

All I know is that a number of times last year there was supposed to be a mirror game on ESPN2 with the national or local game on ABC and when I'd turn to ESPN2 I'd get nothing but highlights. Here in Ill I'll be pissed if this isn't the ABC game here because there's no guarantee it'll come on ESPN2 meaning I'll probably have to go to BWIII and watch with no sound

What I have found with the "mirror" games is that they tend to NOT be on ESPN or ESPN2 HD, but they ARE on ESPN and ESPN2 standard definition. At least that is the way it has been on Comcast the last few years. It baffles and frustrates me to no end, but what can you do?

I am nervous about this ABC game too. I will be out of town in Big 12 Country for the weekend and can guarantee the Gopher game will not be on ABC where I am at, so I am really hopeful that I can get the mirror game.

My question would be, what other game will be on ABC in that timeslot? These are the games involving BCS teams that have yet to be scheduled for Sept 3:

Akron at Ohio State
Arkansas State at Illinois
Austin Peay at Cincinnati
Ball State vs. Indiana
Buffalo at Pittsburgh
BYU at Ole Miss
East Carolina vs. South Carolina
Eastern Kentucky at Kansas State
Eastern Washington at Washington
Elon at Vanderbilt
Florida Atlantic at Florida
Fresno State at California
Idaho State at Washington State
Indiana State at Penn State
Kent State at Alabama
Liberty at North Carolina State
Louisiana Lafayette at Oklahoma State
McNeese State at Kansas
Miami (Ohio) at Missouri
Middle Tennessee at Purdue
Missouri State at Arkansas
Montana at Tennessee
Northern Arizona at Arizona
Northern Iowa at Iowa State
Rice at Texas
Richmond at Duke
Sacramento State at Oregon State
San Jose State at Stanford
Tennessee Tech at Iowa
Texas State at Texas Tech
Troy at Clemson
Tulsa at Oklahoma
UCLA at Houston
UT Chattanooga at Nebraska
Utah State at Auburn
Wake Forest at Syracuse
Weber State at Wyoming
Western Michigan at Michigan
William & Mary at Virginia

With no games left to be scheduled involving two BCS teams, I'm guessing our game will get the lions' share of coverage on the map for that 2:30 timeslot. Maybe Tulsa @ Oklahoma gets the coverage, maybe Miami @ Missouri? BYU @ Ole Miss is probably the next best game available but you'd have to think it's going to be on CBS.

My question would be, what other game will be on ABC in that timeslot? These are the games involving BCS teams that have yet to be scheduled for Sept 3:

With no games left to be scheduled involving two BCS teams, I'm guessing our game will get the lions' share of coverage on the map for that 2:30 timeslot. Maybe Tulsa @ Oklahoma gets the coverage, maybe Miami @ Missouri? BYU @ Ole Miss is probably the next best game available but you'd have to think it's going to be on CBS.

CBS will most likely not have a game on that afternoon. It will be wall-to-wall US Open Tennis coverage.

But you make a good point after looking at the other games listed. Wake Forest @ Syaracuse could be carried to the East coast, but it certainly is possible that the Gopher game could be carried to a majority, if not all, of the country.

What I have found with the "mirror" games is that they tend to NOT be on ESPN or ESPN2 HD, but they ARE on ESPN and ESPN2 standard definition. At least that is the way it has been on Comcast the last few years. It baffles and frustrates me to no end, but what can you do?

Yea, there is an odd explanation for that but I can't recall what it is...

CBS will most likely not have a game on that afternoon. It will be wall-to-wall US Open Tennis coverage.

Good point. Plus, I think their TV deal with the SEC is for the conference game of the week isn't it?

Wake Forest at Syracuse will be the other game on ABC, book it. That game will most likely go to the Big East country. Also NO SEC team can be on ABC if they are the home team (if it a Neutral site game then it can end up on ABC, But no games from a SEC stadium can air on ABC period). ABC does not broadcast SEC home games, only CBS, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU and ESPN regional. Also no CBS first week of the College Football season. They have the US Open.

I was there too...

Go Gophers!!

I forgot about Damon Bailey...I just remember Ariel McDonald's team getting schooled by Shaq.

At the cabin...

Because we're at the cabin for Labor Day weekend each year, I was glad to see ABC as the carrier for the game. We're in Grand Rapids and should have Channel 13 out of Duluth present (WDIO I think)...but NOW have to figure out using the digital converter and antenna up there to see whether the signal is strong enough.

At least I've got all summer to work the problem.

Regardless, it's a great opportunity to hopefully show some progress under the new regime to a large, potentially nationwide audience. This is a good thing no matter the outcome on the scoreboard.

Go Gophers! In Kill We Trust!

Top Bottom