GopherSports: Drew Goodger: Toughtest Man in Football

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per GopherSports:

“The toughest man in football.” That’s what Gophers head coach Jerry Kill calls Drew Goodger. A case of a Kansas-bred coach favoring a fellow Sunflower State native? Maybe a little bit, but no one can argue that Goodger’s toughness deserves recognition.

Goodger seems like someone from the sports pages of a bygone era. The senior tight end has dealt with ankle and knee sprains and frequent shoulder dislocations during his collegiate career. His shoulder will pop out during a game, and he will pop it back in and get back on the field.

“Not very many people do that now,” Kill said. “I guarantee you I couldn’t. That’s a tough cat.”

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/090114aaa.html

Go Gophers!!

Drew seems like a great kid. Following a spring scrimmage a couple years ago at TCF, I had my oldest boy with (he was five at the time) and we walked around getting player signatures. We found Drew and he saw my boy, knelt down and said to him, "Can you help me with something? I've got to get rid of these gloves and I don't know what to do with them." He signed one and gave it to my son. My son wore it all the way home that night, took it to bed, and had it back on for cartoons the next morning.

Each time we've gone to the spring and fall scrimmages since and seen Drew, he remembers our names and makes a point to say "hello". Pretty amazing.

As any of you can imagine, he's one of our favorite Gophers.

As Drew's high school coach... he has done more behind the scenes to help "The U" get turned around than anyone probably knows. Coach Kill was his only offer at of high school, and asked me if he was as tough as I said he was... I said every bit and more.. He said he needed some tough kids that set the work ethic bar far higher than it was. I think Drew has done that and then some. He would have started at K- State the last two years and of course would have stared at KU.. I have been to games each of the last years and could not have been more impressed with everything surrounding the University of Minnesota. Drew is a Business major working on his Masters already, and will be a fine Alumni for the University.. Plus I think he is dating on the women's Hockey players for over 2 years.. (Ramsey).. So if you can hold on for 20 years there may be some athletic genes heading back!

As Drew's high school coach... he has done more behind the scenes to help "The U" get turned around than anyone probably knows. Coach Kill was his only offer at of high school, and asked me if he was as tough as I said he was... I said every bit and more.. He said he needed some tough kids that set the work ethic bar far higher than it was. I think Drew has done that and then some. He would have started at K- State the last two years and of course would have stared at KU.. I have been to games each of the last years and could not have been more impressed with everything surrounding the University of Minnesota. Drew is a Business major working on his Masters already, and will be a fine Alumni for the University.. Plus I think he is dating on the women's Hockey players for over 2 years.. (Ramsey).. So if you can hold on for 20 years there may be some athletic genes heading back!

This behind the scenes stuff and the story above are great. Thanks.

Top Bottom