GopherSports: Carpenter Kicks Way Into History

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per GopherSports:

Against Indiana State, Carpenter may have become the first Gopher in program history to make three field goals in a game that traveled at least 40 yards or more. Athletic department research yields close cases, but nothing that definitively matches Carpenter.

On Sept. 10, 1994, Mike Chalberg made two 39-yard field goals and a 40-yarder against Pacific. Just one week later on Sept. 17, 1994, Chalberg made field goals from 39, 40 and 44. On Oct. 18, 1997, Adam Bailey hit field goals from 52 and 50 yards out. Chip Lohmiller connected on a 49-yarder and a program 62-yard field goal on Nov. 22, 1986, against Iowa.

“Coach Claeys has really empathized this year that once we reach the 30-yard line they want that to pretty much be automatic points,” said Carpenter. “I have been working a lot on that, from the 35-50 yard range to make sure that that becomes as automatic as it can for me. I just have to keep pounding them out. I think I will have some big opportunities down the road and just have to make sure that I come through.”

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/091316aaa.html

Go Gophers!!

kickoffs are the only thing lacking

Nope...the two he put OB were into a pretty severe wind. Going the other way, when he wanted, it landed more than 5 yards deeper than the end-zone. Kick offs are not an issue.

Nope...the two he put OB were into a pretty severe wind. Going the other way, when he wanted, it landed more than 5 yards deeper than the end-zone. Kick offs are not an issue.

I'm not doubting his leg strength. I'm not doubting the wind sucked. But you have to keep the ball in the field of play. I'm sure he'll agree with that.

I'm not doubting his leg strength. I'm not doubting the wind sucked. But you have to keep the ball in the field of play. I'm sure he'll agree with that.

Kicking to the corner in that wind is a risk. The question is - "Is it worth the 10 yards between a touchback and OB kick?"

We were dominating that team. I half suspect he got the OK to experiment a bit in the wind and shoot for more difficult kicks to the corner.

Wrong.

This. Learn more about the game.

i was unaware you were on the sidelines coaching. I stand corrected. And also

For whatever reason, Claeys said it was better kicking toward the student section than it was toward the scoreboard end. As to the kicking game specifically, Claeys said, “giving away great field position when the ball goes out of bounds” presents a serious problem.

I would gladly talk shop about football with you any day of the week.

We were dominating that team. I half suspect he got the OK to experiment a bit in the wind and shoot for more difficult kicks to the corner.

i see people are kind of taking this out of context, but it was meant along the lines of that is the absolute only thing you could complain about in terms of our ST play. They've been great.

Kicking out of bounds against an overmatched opponent isn't good, not knowing what the wind does to kickoffs against a conference opponent, is worse.

Kicking out of bounds against an overmatched opponent isn't good, not knowing what the wind does to kickoffs against a conference opponent, is worse.

Pretty sure he has access to TCF during the week, before games and at half time.

If he is learning the wind patterns during games, we are in trouble

Pretty sure he has access to TCF during the week, before games and at half time.

If he is learning the wind patterns during games, we are in trouble

I don't think it is as simple as "windy today, Ok i got it now".

Moving Santoso to punter is looking like a stroke of genius.

Few things:

1. I believe Ryan received a full-ride out of HS - which is not too common
2. He was a versatile Punter and Kicker ranked 10th and 7th in each skill set

I believe the coaching staff and Ryan have known all along he'd be used in multiple ways.

Top Bottom