Gophers won the Border Battle :-)

That is awesome. I am sure all Gophers fans got just as much enjoyment out of that 40 point women's cross country victory as the Badgers fans did with the 40 point football victory.

That is awesome. I am sure all Gophers fans got just as much enjoyment out of that 40 point women's cross country victory as the Badgers fans did with the 40 point football victory.

I think yo mama enjoyed the football team.

Wow...

Congratulations. 19 minutes. It just took you barely 19 minutes to respond to a post on the Minnesota Gopher football forum on May 16. Holy crap. I'm sorry but that's just plain spooky...

I'm surprised that it took that long...

Congratulations. 19 minutes. It just took you barely 19 minutes to respond to a post on the Minnesota Gopher football forum on May 16. Holy crap. I'm sorry but that's just plain spooky...

this fadger has proven the lack of a life over and over again.

I am tickled pink that we won the Border Battle.....I want the frikking AXE!!!!!!!!!!!

Exactly. Weight football as 100, bball at 40 per game , and hockey at 20 per game and all the money pit sports as 0 and then it would matter.

We MN sports fans are a particularly punchy bunch of frustrated malcontents these days, and can you blame us? However, three years in a row is starting to look a little bit like a dynasty when it comes to putting the BADgers in their place. So I'm just going to derive what little pleasure I can from this recent victory (despite coughing up a Track/Field title to IOWA???) and go back into my hole to sulk some more about the sorry state of sports in our fair state.

Go Gophers! Please someone, please GO!

Does it make up for the axe? No.

But I'd rather win the thing than lose it.

While we're at it, let's include intramural teams and arts & crafts clubs too. How did our chamber choirs compare this year? Like the director's cup, this is totally meaningless and makes us (Minnesota fans) look dumb. The DQ Cup was a more valuable trophy.

Football -- Gophers lose.

Men's basketball -- Gophers lose.

Result of Border Battle -- Badgers win.

Don't ge me wrong, I like the fact the U has a strong all-around athletic program, but the Badgers beat us in the two sports that count the most. Sorry if that offends anyone who's truly interested in some of the other sports (I am too, namely baseball & men's hockey).

It is interesting that both Athletic Departments agreed on the rules of this. A Gopher fan (obviously) calls this out as celebration. Then you immediately have the badger fan with the biggest complex respond, followed by a bunch of Gopher fans reacting to him.

There is a priority order of sports that fans of each school want to win. That goes football, followed by a huge drop off to basketball, followed by a small drop off to hockey, followed by another huge drop off to anything else (unless you follow that sport). However that shouldn't diminish at all the fact that we won again in our Border Battle.

SMH.

Go tell any BT shotput guy that his sport doesn't matter. Get ready to get Matt Foley'd in a van down by the river.

Football -- Gophers lose.

Men's basketball -- Gophers lose.

Result of Border Battle -- Badgers win.

Don't ge me wrong, I like the fact the U has a strong all-around athletic program, but the Badgers beat us in the two sports that count the most. Sorry if that offends anyone who's truly interested in some of the other sports (I am too, namely baseball & men's hockey).

SS - good because we are better at those other two sports! ;)

Each school has something to be embarrassed about.;)

Us -- we have way too many sports (we could chop a few and still have plenty to comply with Title IX) because we're the Land of Political Correctness & want to please everyone.

Wisconsin -- because they don't have baseball.

There's no reason to be embarrassed by the number of sports we have, we don't have an unusual number of sports.

Fair enough. But sometimes I'm of the belief that less (sports) is more.

Spooky? Yeah, a little.

Pathetic? Most certainly.

Go tell any BT shotput guy that his sport doesn't matter. Get ready to get Matt Foley'd in a van down by the river.

True! I get it that we want to win the big sports, but come on guys. This is for all the sports that train year 'round in maroon and gold and work their tails off to win with the M on their jersey! It doesn't seem right to demean the value of their efforts when they don't do it with 50,000 people watching.

Go ALL GOPHERS! Let's get an axe, beat them with sticks & pucks, dunk over them, and then beat them in every sport imaginable and win the Border Battle AGAIN!

This is for all the sports that train year 'round in maroon and gold and work their tails off to win with the M on their jersey! It doesn't seem right to demean the value of their efforts when they don't do it with 50,000 people watching.

Awesome post. I am continually amazed at the long distance runners, men and women. They run the cross country season, go straight to indoor track season and then straight into outdoor track season. They are literally in 'in season' mode the entire school year.

Awesome post. I am continually amazed at the long distance runners, men and women. They run the cross country season, go straight to indoor track season and then straight into outdoor track season. They are literally in 'in season' mode the entire school year.

But they don't perform in front of tens of thousands of people, so they don't matter, right?

Fair enough. But sometimes I'm of the belief that less (sports) is more.

The only sports that I would agree with cutting at the U of Minn are men's gymnastics and women's rowing. The only reason I would agree with that is because no high school in the state have those teams. Cutting rowing wouldn't happen without major reforms in title IX.

I bet in the next 10 years you see men's and women's lacrosse added. I believe it's a fairly fast growing sport.

Otherwise, all the other sports are fairly standard sports that most high school in the state have teams for (sometimes co-op).

Top Bottom