Gophers Weekly Press Conference Notes (3/12/14)

Twynntown

Reaction score
The #1 Gopher Hockey team held their weekly press conference at Mariucci Arena this afternoon. Head Coach Don Lucia met with the media, as did Hudson Fasching, Brady Skjei and Travis Boyd. The team travels to Ann Arbor this weekend to take on #13 Michigan Friday and Saturday. Game time is 5:30 PM on Friday (ESPN News), and 6:00 PM on Saturday (Big Ten Network).

Head Coach Don Lucia:

Regarding the final stretch of the season… “I think it’s good how we finish. We’re playing on small rinks, which is really good. We’re practicing every day on small rinks, and we’re playing good teams here at the end. Ohio State hadn’t been swept in their building all year. And Michigan’s lost two games in Yost all season. Playing these games, and playing these opponents at the end helps. The tempo is going to be really high against Michigan. If you make mistakes, you’re going to pay. And those are important lessons this time of year as you head into playoffs next weekend, regarding the pace and the level you have to play at. There’s probably no more difficult place to play in college hockey than Yost. But it’s fun, too. The first team I ever brought in there was back in 1995 with CC (Colorado College). It was a great weekend of hockey. They play the game the right way. They play on their toes, they play aggressively, they play at pace, and it forces you to do the same. And in a great environment. And I think that’s the fun part, is the environment you get to play in. We have half a dozen guys who have played there. The difference is, when they’re playing at Yost, it’s not the same atmosphere. There’s not the same sense of urgency. When a college team plays the U.S. Development team, the U.S. Development team a lot more jacked up for the series than the college team is. I actually watched Eichel play before the World Juniors. I went to the game, and actually the U.S. team ended up winning late. I had already left by then, because we were at Michigan State that weekend. The building was three quarters full, and I’m sure half of the Michigan guys would have rather been studying for exams, than to be playing the game, to be honest”

Regarding going to Ann Arbor… “I think there’s a sense of urgency all season long. When the year began, and I looked at our schedule, we knew that the last four would be a difficult back to back weekends. And it was probably going to come down to our last weekend at Michigan, when you only have twenty league games. That’s what’s happened, And that’s what we expected. And although it was disappointing to get a tie on Saturday, in the big picture, winning and tying on the road was a good weekend. We know that Michigan plays very well at home. They’ve only lost two games at home all season long. It’s going to be a great test for us, but I think it’s going to make us a better team playing these games here at the end of the year. I think the pressure is when you’re in a one and done situation. We’re certainly not in that situation right now. The most important thing, we want to play well this weekend. I think that’s part of the big picture as you head into the playoffs the following weekend. We’ve played well all season long, and have been pretty consistent. I like what we’ve done so far this year, and we don’t have to do anything different. Just continue to play as well as we possibly can. It’s not easy going to Ann Arbor. This will be the first experience for our kids. It’s a fun place to play. I don’t know if there’s a more enjoyable place to play on the road in college hockey, just from the environment standpoint. Our kids will get to experience that this weekend”

Regarding the Michigan suspensions after their last series… “That’s nothing that I think about. When I got a call from (Steve) Piotrowski (Coordinator of Men’s Ice Hockey Officials) about it, I just said, you do what you have to do. But it’s not me picking up the phone thinking someone should be suspended after last time we played them”

Regarding winning the B1G championship… “Obviously it’s a goal when the year begins to try to put yourself in the position. You never know how the year is going to unfold, but obviously we’ve had a great regular season, and played consistently from start to finish. Now we have to do our job, and try to get a win on the road this weekend. Our kids will have a better grasp after this weekend. The season was pretty much what I expected it to be. The one thing that will ramp up as years go on is the rivalries. You don’t have a great sense of the other teams yet, because we haven’t seen them four years in a row. This is year one. The great thing about the Big Ten is that you get a true champion at the end of the year, because you get to play everybody home and away”

Regarding Sam Warning and the health of the team… “We didn’t skate yesterday, so he’s (Sam Warning) going to skate today. So we’ll see where he’s at in practice today. Everyone else is healthy”

Regarding Brady Skjei having the green light to step up offensively… “Well, it’s not as big and green as Mike’s (Reilly) is, let’s put it that way. We want Brady to bring some offense, obviously. But that’s not the most important part of his game. With Mike Reilly, he’s more of an offensive defenseman than defensive defenseman. Brady is the other way around. We just want Brady to be able to get the puck out of our own zone efficiently, and be able to jump into the play and make a good play at the offensive blue line. He’s getting some power play time, but that’s something we have to do to continue to grow his game. But he can’t forget the strength of his game, and that’s defending”

Regarding adding more teams to the Big Ten… “There’s no conversation to be had. There’s six. And that’s just the way it is. There’s nothing different on the horizon. We’re comfortable with that. We’ve got six good venues to play in, six programs that are certainly committed to have a very good hockey program. I think the Big Ten has been everything we had hoped it would be in the first year. Also, having the opportunity to play a very good non-conference schedule has really helped us. When you look at who we’ve been able to play this past year, even non-conference, our strength of schedule is in the top two or three in the country. And I think we want to continue to do that and play good teams outside the league. Big Ten branding has been real positive, and the Big Ten network has done a phenomenal job, especially with the Friday night doubleheaders that they’ve had. So I think that part of it is good for college hockey. It’s been a real plus for us”

Regarding shootouts not being a part of the games after this weekend… “……thank god! Yeah, you know my feelings haven’t changed. You know my feelings about it before the year started, and it hasn’t changed this year, I can tell you that (smiling). I’ve never been a fan of them. It’s a skills competition. I’m just one of those old school guys that thinks there’s nothing wrong with a tie in our sport. The game is five on five. In hockey, you’re going to get some ties. Even at the NHL level, at the end you see teams playing for a point. And I don’t blame em. They’re even having a conversation to try and find a way to have fewer ties, or make regulation wins worth more than a shoot out win. There’s nothing wrong with that either. And it keeps more teams in it, I understand that. But we only play twenty games. That’s not very many games. But we’ll see later this spring when we talk about it again. Going forward, you have to play until a conclusion. So if there’s a tie, you zam (Zamboni) the ice, and there are twenty minute periods until you have a winner. Even if it goes seven (overtimes). It doesn’t count in the NCAA standings. So, I mean, is there any extra satisfaction, just because somebody has a breakaway and scores a goal? I don’t get any satisfaction from it. I mean, at the NHL level, personally, I don’t watch the shootouts, and don’t find them very interesting”

Hudson Fasching:

Regarding this coming weekend… “Obviously, Michigan is going to be a good team, and we didn’t have the weekend we necessarily wanted with Ohio State. So I think there’s definitely a sense of urgency coming into this weekend. Going into the end of the year, obviously we want to be playing the kind of hockey you want to going into the playoffs. I think that kind of plays into it a little bit. Yeah, it’s definitely in the back of our minds. And we also have the trophy with Michigan, so it’s a big weekend for us. It’s a huge momentum builder for us coming into the last weekend of the season, and coming into the playoffs. We want to be playing the right way. We want to be playing good hockey going into the playoffs, for sure. There a strong team in general. They’ve got really good Forwards, really skilled guys up front. I think we just need to take advantage of them in their D zone, and score a lot of goals”

Regarding going back to Ann Arbor… “I think it’s going to be interesting going back to somewhere I lived for the last couple of years. And I’ve played in Yost (Arena) before. It should be really exciting. The fans get really into it, so it’s a great environment to play in. I’m really excited”

Regarding the Michigan guys he knows from USNDT… “I think there will probably be some chirping going on. I’m ready for that, and excited for that. It’s always fun playing against guys you know. It’s part of the hockey world, and it’s fun to be a part of that”

Regarding the OSU series… “The shootout has definitely eluded us this year. Something I think we’re going to try to work on, especially this week. Also, I think just getting more pucks on net and playing overall better hockey. We didn’t really play the best hockey we could have last weekend. There’s a lot of things we’re trying to improve on this week. It definitely felt like a loss for us (the tie on Saturday). Not the kind of hockey we wanted to be playing. I think we have to make some adjustments and raise our intensity quite a bit. Just play overall better hockey in all aspects of the game. You know, winning the battles along the boards, getting pucks in deep, get more shots on net and give up less shots”

Regarding clinching a bye in the B1G Tournament… “It feels good, for sure. Clinching the bye was big for us. To be able to have one less game in the Big Ten playoffs helps, but I think we still want that number one spot really bad”

Brady Skjei:

Regarding this coming weekend… “We have a win or lose mentality, playing every game like it’s your last. I mean, this weekend’s not exactly the same, but we definitely need a couple of wins, or a win for sure, to clinch the trophy. It would be awesome. That was definitely a goal of ours coming into the season, to win that. To be the first to win the Big Ten regular season championship. It would be a great start for our future in the Big Ten”

Regarding going back to Ann Arbor… “Ann Arbor’s a great city. I went to school there for my Junior and Senior year, and played hockey. Nothing but good things to say about the town, and everything about it. Great atmosphere. I played there once, and it’s loud. Everything seems to move a little faster. Should be set up for a great weekend”

Regarding the OSU series… “Coming away with four points on a road weekend is obviously a positive, but when you have a lead going into the third period, especially with four minutes left, you feel like you lost the game. And then you lose in a shootout. It was definitely a good weekend, but disappointing at the end. Our goal last weekend was to finish the deal there…finish the job. But we let it slip away there in the last couple minutes of the third period. I think we played good. I think we’ve gotta put sixty minutes together. I think the last couple of weekends we’ve played a good forty minutes, and the last twenty minutes kind of slipped away. So, we just need to put a complete game together, and we’ll be fine. We’re going into this weekend feeling the same way. We really want to get that Big Ten championship”

Regarding his chances of being called upon in a shootout… (Laughing) “I told Genner (Mike Guentzel) to get me in there, I’m ready to go. I think I’m probably about fifteenth in the order, so…”

Regarding him playing more offensively… “They give us the green light whenever we want to jump up in the play. I wanna be more the fourth guy in there…not like Mike (Reilly). I think a little Mike, a little Defense. I definitely want to contribute”

Travis Boyd:

“Where’s a good place to eat in Ann Arbor, Boyder, for Frankie and me” (asked by Wally Shaver)… “I’d say Dibella’s. It’s a sub place. It’s right by the mall there”. (When asked for a “knife and fork place” by Frank Mazzocco) “Go to Zingerman’s. That’s a famous place around there. It’s good food. Zingerman’s Roadhouse. I’d type that one into your GPS, that’s a good place. That’s fork and knife”

Regarding this coming weekend… “I mean, it’s obviously been a point of discussion. We want to finish what we started here. And we want to finish being the first regular season Big Ten champs. It’s a discussion, but it’s just another week for us to prepare, play how we can, and we’ll be alright. I think being in this situation the last two years helps us out. We’re comfortable being in a situation where we’ve gotta win the last couple of games to win the trophy. I have one hundred percent faith in our team that we’re going to get it done this weekend. I think the playoff really kicked in last week. Going on the road, and really focusing on playing one hundred percent complete game, the way it’s gotta be played. In the playoffs, as we all know, it’s one and done. If you don’t play well that game, that’s it for the season. Yup, playoff mentality the rest of the way through this”

Regarding going back to Ann Arbor… “It’s a nice place. It’s a college town, and everyone loves the college there. I’m really looking forward to playing a game at Yost, where it’s college versus college. I’m excited to get back there and see my billet family, and see some people I haven’t seen in a while. When I played there, we were just a bunch of seventeen year old kids going out there to play college guys. I thought we played pretty well out there, and I think I played pretty well too. It should be a lot of fun going back. It’s classified as a barn. That’s what it is. It’s got a lot of history, it’s got a lot of character, and it’s a really loud place to play. I think everybody is excited to get out there and experience if first hand”

Regarding the OSU series… “I think that tie is more disappointing than any other tie we’ve had, because we knew what was at stake. Especially because there was only four minutes left in the game when we ended up getting scored on there. At the same time, i think we learned a pretty good lesson about what it takes to win this time of the year. And like I said, I’ve got one hundred percent faith in our team to get out there and get the job done in Ann Arbor”

Regarding winning the B1G championship… “I think it’s just a special accomplishment. I mean, there’s only one first time winner of the Big Ten regular season championship. It’s a good chance to go down in the history books. It’s one of those things that you can look back at ten years down the road and say, I was on that team. I was part of that. I wouldn’t say winning the Big Ten regular season championship is more important than winning the Big Ten tournament, but it’s first on our list of things to do. And it’s first on our list of things we can do. So, as of right now, that’s our focus, winning the regular season championship. After that, we’ll move on to trying to win the Big Ten tournament championship. After that, it’s focusing on regionals, and hopefully we get to keep going”

Regarding playing on smaller rinks the rest of the way… “I guess, for my game, I like having the time and space to make plays. But at the same time, It’s also kind of nice not having to skate on an ocean, like we do at Mariucci. It’s got it’s pro’s and cons. For me, I don’t really have a preference. I’ll play on anything, really”

Top Bottom