Gophers Week 2 Uniforms.

See more and more football players not wearing knee pads.....and it just looks wrong. Ky Thomas was the first player I really remember noticing not wearing knee pads but seems to be becoming more of a trend.
Yep - it's a noticeable trend. Is there any evidence around injuries related to fewer pads?

the statistics:

this is the 3rd time wearing Gold/Maroon/Gold in the Fleck era. (out of 86 games, counting Saturday)

by component:
13th time for the Gold Helmet
35th time for Maroon Jersey (White leads all-time with 37)
17th time for Gold pants

BTW: Fleck is 15-6 in games played in September

Yep - it's a noticeable trend. Is there any evidence around injuries related to fewer pads?
No clue but would assume that if they are allowed to not wear them there must not be an obviously higher injury risk. Still looks weird though. :)

Carlos Santana for the Twins has his baseball pants up over his knees as well....just looks wrong.

No clue but would assume that if they are allowed to not wear them there must not be an obviously higher injury risk. Still looks weird though. :)

Carlos Santana for the Twins has his baseball pants up over his knees as well....just looks wrong.
It's in the rules, it's just not being enforced. They still have them in the pants, but they are about the size of a flat hockey puck and the pants are rolled up or short. Of course, this trends down to the HS level and the officials become the uniform police.

I have a feeling the rule will change in the next 5 years that you don't need to cover the knee or not need them at all.

I feel like this uniform is a good example of how you don't need that much DESIGN to be a really good design.

Also are those the goldy helmets?

Does not look wrong when the ball leaves the park though.

Think of all the knee injuries and football... they are almost all ACL, MCL, PCL, Knee Dislocation, Miniscus, etc. A knee pad isn't going to do a single thing regarding those injuries.

it’s easy to spot the Gopherhole posters who have never made an athletic movement in their life, aside from running from their couch to the kitchen for more beer.

The knee pads above the knee are for mobility and offer no less protection. Willis McGahee had the old school pants and got his knee blown out.

Basically the classic Gopher uniform going back to 1951. I can't believe they'll wear shorts, though.

Today’s uniforms looked great!!

Top Bottom