Gophers vs Notre Dame?

Notre Dame will not be joining us any time soon, I dont think.... but I do think there is a lot better chance that Syracuse could be the one to join us in the big ten. (obviously for football only) They certainly also love playing us in the non-conference, since their season starts out this year with the Gophs, then Penn State in Happy Valley, then Northwestern back in the dome. Even though their program has been pretty crappy recently, I think they might be sick of being in a big east that barely resembles what it once was with Va Tech, Miami and BC.

I'm calling it, by the start of the 2012-13 season, they will join, and someone like UCF or Temple to take their place in big east.

Why in the world would the B10 admit them for football only?

a 6-6 anybody doesn't upgrade a schedule.

Arizona's records the last 5 seasons:

2008 8-5
2007 5-7
2006 6-6
2005 3-8
2004 3-8

Average record (rounded to the nearest integer): 5-7

In my view Notre Dame is not a top BSC team, being neither Top, nor BCS.

Notre Dame's BCS status is ambiguous from a legal standpoint, but to call them a non-BCS team is disingenuous at best.

I'm just saying that Notre Dame is nowhere near as good as So Cal, Texas, Nebraska.

Nor did I see anyone else arguing this "controversial" viewpoint.

I don't know of any rule saying we can't schedule them and the others, but checking the records, we never have.

That seems like a great attitude - let's just continue to do things the way we always have. Why did we need to fire Mason if what we expect from Brewster is 7-5 and a crappy bowl game every year? Good thinking!

I'm saying that if it were to come down to scheduling either or, I go against N.D. in this scenario, everytime

Once again, I'm pretty sure that no one is suggesting we schedule Notre Dame at the expense of another good team.

Just please admit that you're wrong, and that you have some sort of personal bias/schadenfreude against Notre Dame, and then we can move on to other topics.

I 'm not wrong

If you want to keep going at this with ever expanding peramiters, bringing in arguments, nobody let alone me, ever made, then no I will not stop. If you just admit that in your retort, you missunderstood my meaning, this is at an end.
My argument was that N.D. would be a terrible choice over, not around, nor also, but only N.D. vs. USC. Nowhere did I contend any of this b.s you have brought up. I don't know how much clearer I can make this. You got it wrong. Admit it. When asked, I admitted that Arizona was a purely selfish choice, based on the factors listed in the other post. Or if in your self-rightousness did you miss that? I will stand behind what I said there too, I think Arizona will play in a top tier Bowl, of there own merits, before Notre Dame wins one.
I could be wrong about that, I might be right. just my thoughts.
I don't give one flaming jot, pro or anti-N.D. I only care about the facts, N.D. has reduced the calibur of their schedule and reduced their win loss record at the same time. In looking back over my posts, I have not once mentioned Mason, or the Mason era schedule....please show me where I did.

but I do think there is a lot better chance that Syracuse could be the one to join us in the big ten. (obviously for football only)[/QUOTE said:
No chance. This ain't the Big East. The Big Ten has way too much tradition and prestige to consider letting anyone join the league specifically for football. Its all or nothing when it comes to expansion.

I'd like to play Notre Dame in a home and home for the fact that it would be really my only chance to get affordable tickets to see a game there (assuming that they offer a decent amount of tickets to the visitors and they aren't joining the B10). I could care less if ND was good or not or if the experience is considered "over-rated" by some, I'd still like to see a game there and see what all the fuss is about.

If you want to keep going at this with ever expanding peramiters, bringing in arguments, nobody let alone me, ever made, then no I will not stop.

I responded exactly to only your exact quotes, and you claim they are "arguments, nobody let alone me, ever made"? That's rich.

My argument was that N.D. would be a terrible choice over, not around, nor also, but only N.D. vs. USC.

I would take Texas, Nebraska, Arizona, or hell I'll take a just about any upper tier BSC conference team over N.D.

Those two points would seem to be contradictory.

I think Arizona will play in a top tier Bowl, of there own merits, before Notre Dame wins one.

I will be willing to bet you any amount of money you wish that this will not happen.

I don't give one flaming jot, pro or anti-N.D.

Says the guy who has gone out of his way in this thread with his exclusively anti-N.D. agenda.

I only care about the facts, N.D. has reduced the calibur of their schedule and reduced their win loss record at the same time.

You are wrong on both accounts. The "calibur" of their schedule is only lessened because many of their traditional opponents have gotten progressively worse in the last few years. They are playing a weaker schedule than they could/should, but that is only because they insist on playing traditional rivals almost to the exclusion of anyone else. They have had one bad year, in 2007, while winning 9, 10, and 7 the other three years Weis has been coach, so if you want to think that is a "reduced...win loss record" you go right on thinking that.

I have not once mentioned Mason, or the Mason era schedule

No, you did not mention him explicitly, but when you say

I don't know of any rule saying we can't schedule them and the others, but checking the records, we never have

you are advocating the status quo, which means that you think we should keep doing things the way we did under Mason, Wacker, Gutekunst, Holtz, Stoll, Salem, etc.

For now? They have been on NBC since 1991, and recently renewed their contract through the 2015 season. And, remind me, how many BCS bowl games/national championships have they won in that time?

Trust me, Notre Dame will do just fine in terms of fan following, interest, and revenue for the foreseeable future. If they ever do decide to join a conference, it will be on their own terms, and not anyone else's. Is it fair? No, but Notre Dame plays by a different set of rules than everybody else. And they will continue to do so. The only thing that would change that is a 5-year consecutive run of 2-3 wins a season. And the chances of that happening with their schedule are 0.01%.

Notre Dame isn't near as profitable as most people think. They rank #14 in the country in athletic dept revenue behind Ohio State (2), Michigan (4), Wisconsin (5) and Penn State (6). Notre Dame revenue is on par with Iowa (15) and Michigan State (16). When the NBC contract runs out in 2015 it may very well be in the best interests of Notre Dame to give a good look at the Big Ten which would give them revenue from the BTN as well as a Big Ten Championship.

I think all Big Ten schools should not play ND until they join a conference. If they want to play with us, they have to pay to get in the club. What happens to the mystique when you lose Michigan, Purdue, and Mich State games?

Would ND finally become a joke when they would replace those 3 BT teams with a Miami (OH), Marshall, and Iowa State?

I agree. This should have been a condition/consequence in the last round of negotiations.

This also doesn't include their easy path to the BCS where they get to keep the full BCS payout for themselves.

Notre Dame doesn't keep the entire payout should they make a BCS bowl game. To offset that, ND gets $1.4 million EVERY year from the BCS, meaning last year, they got $1.4 million without going to any bowl game. That is about what a non-bowl Big Ten team will get in revenue sharing from bowl teams.

Believe it folks, there are becoming more and more reasons every day for ND to join the Big Ten. Their sweetheart deal will earn them less than what a Big Ten team makes. It is one of the big fallacies in sports. The NBC deal is not that lucrative.

Here's some info on it. It is worth reading.

the NBC deal is ND home games only, doesn't take into account the other 5-6 games on ABC/ESPN.

Unless there's some sort of pre-arranged agreement with the hosting school, ND doesn't get TV money for road games. College football teams control only their home games TV money (i.e. BTN, ESPN, ABC pay the Big Ten for Big Ten home games and ND doesn't see that dough).

Cripes, thanks for bringing up Ohio U. I hated that loss to the Bobcats.

Top Bottom