Gophers v Badgers and Fanhood

Sure. Imagine you're Phillip Nelson's dad. You played for Wisconsin, and you'll always have that loyalty, but your son plays for the Gophers. You're obviously a fan of both teams.

If I had a son go to Wisco or Iowa I would look back on the past 18 years and tried to think where I failed as a father.

No father in his right mind would send 3 daughters to Wisconsin. I equate it too going on a date with Ted Bundy.

I know a player for Wisconsin, so I don't want him to get hurt. (had a knee inj in HS). I wouldn't call that "rooting" for the team - I just don't want anything bad to happen to one player.

Now, the rest of the team..................that's a different story.

Growing up in a town near Madison, I was always was a big badger fan. Once I started looking at colleges, it was between wisconsin and Minnesota. I realized how much better Minnesota is (obviously) and started the conversion halfway through my senior year in high school. It took a while to let go of everything I liked about wisconsin though. It got easier once I was actually in Minneapolis and went to the football, hockey, and basketball games. During my freshman year, I realized it was impossible to like both Minnesota and wisconsin (when they weren't playing the gophers). There is too much of a rivalry between the schools. In Minnesota, there is a ton of trash talk about wisconsin and in wisconsin, there is a ton of trash talk against Minnesota. It felt like I had a split personality when cheering all out for the gophers but then also liking a team that we have so many cheers against. Better dead than Red, Buck the Fadgers, and making fun of Bo Ryan. At the start of my sophmore year at the U, I realized I just want the badgers to lose no matter who they are playing. So no, I do not believe you can be a true Gopher fan if you cheer for wisconsin as well

Maybe the greatest first post ever.

Yes. I only cheer on the Gophers when they play. But, I have often found myself cheering on other teams when it improves the Gophers standing. It is the only fan position of any merit. I will always cheer on the B!G conference whenever and however it suits me. All other positions are irrational, boneheaded, extremist, shut-ins. I love you guys!

Of course you can be a fan of both, and I am.

Just because there aren't many doesn't mean it isn't possible.

If you focus on the negative idiot fans then you can't be a fan of any team, including the gophers. Focus on the positive and there are many reasons to be a Wisconsin fan.

Top Bottom