Gophers turn offense over to Athan Kaliakmanis, after the QB's promising head start; Fleck: "He's got a little of this moxie, this 'X' factor"

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per WCCO:

For the first time in five years, Minnesota's starting quarterback is different than the previous season opener. The good news for the Gophers is the guy they call the "Greek Rifle" got a head start.

Athan Kaliakmanis started five games in 2022 for program stalwart Tanner Morgan, a switch that was equal parts injury fill-in and on-the-job training.

"My confidence has always been there, no matter what has happened or what the situation has been like," Kaliakmanis said. "But I think my teammates also helped me with that. Even when I wasn't in or I wasn't playing, I always acted like I was the guy, so I kind of practiced."

"I've really seen him grow up a lot lately, especially this summer," center Nathan Boe said. "He's been starting to lead with a lot of us older guys."

The wild card that Kaliakmanis can play is a stronger arm than Morgan and a creative flair that was not part of his predecessor's game.

"He's got a little of this moxie, this 'X' factor, that he can create, and I think that's the difference," coach P.J. Fleck said. "He's got to keep going and keep developing, but he sure is fun to coach."

Go Gophers!!

This could be a really really fun year. If it comes together for AK, it will be really difficult to stop the Gophers offense.......

Top Bottom