Gophers to honor Jacob Wetterling on Saturday

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per GopherSports:

The University of Minnesota athletic department announced today that it plans to honor Jacob Wetterling and grant the request of the Jacob Wetterling Resource Center and the Wetterling family by using the No. 11 in multiple ways on Saturday.

Jacob wore No. 11 when he played soccer and the Jacob Wetterling Resource Center and family have asked that people showcase No. 11 to honor their son and help make the world a better place for children.

Minnesota will distribute stickers with the No. 11 and “For Jacob” on them to fans as they enter TCF Bank Stadium for Saturday’s game against Indiana State. The Gophers will also honor Jacob on the scoreboard during the first half, and Minnesota’s Goldy Gopher will wear No. 11 – instead of the customary No. 0 – during Saturday’s game.

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/090816aac.html

Go Gophers!!

Something is probably ok.... Just let's hope it isn't heavy handed. I'm cool with it to some extent but it is supposed to be a fun sporting event too.

I'd rather not go down the post 9/11 ultra patriotism at every event to the point that it seemed routine, or even required, and not mean anything.

I'm for the salute to Jacob. When he was taken 27 years ago our children were very young and it really hit home. The 9/11 salute has run its course. Especially in this political year, because you know a certain Presidential candidate is going to use it as political ploy.

This is a great idea. I'm ALL for it.

This is a great idea. I'm ALL for it.

This.

Few things have touched our state more than Jacob Wetterling. Their pain is all of our pain. Their story is our story. Jacob defined a generation. Recognition at the game is the least we can all do. For nearly three decades we have lived with this story, dealing the emotional ups and downs of clues, persons of interests, watching his parents work for others. Jacob is as Minnesotan as they come.

This.

Few things have touched our state more than Jacob Wetterling. Their pain is all of our pain. Their story is our story. Jacob defined a generation. Recognition at the game is the least we can all do. For nearly three decades we have lived with this story, dealing the emotional ups and downs of clues, persons of interests, watching his parents work for others. Jacob is as Minnesotan as they come.

This.

It's kind of like Kill using his position to raise epilepsy awareness. Jacob's is obviously an extreme example, but abuses against children continue. The goal of the Wetterlings and others is raise awareness. If you know something, say something.

Something is probably ok.... Just let's hope it isn't heavy handed. I'm cool with it to some extent but it is supposed to be a fun sporting event too.

I'd rather not go down the post 9/11 ultra patriotism at every event to the point that it seemed routine, or even required, and not mean anything.

It's a wonderful idea.

Totally wonderful. Hopefully some good mention on the broadcast too. This and other child crimes need to be wiped out!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Will Croft & Winfield (#11) represent the Gophers for the coin toss?

Sometimes a like button would say it all. Stan would have likes from every reader on his comment.

Stan, you summed it up perfectly.

This.

It's kind of like Kill using his position to raise epilepsy awareness. Jacob's is obviously an extreme example, but abuses against children continue. The goal of the Wetterlings and others is raise awareness. If you know something, say something.

I don't disagree but if you want to start a national conversation about this wait until the Penn St game to do it, or do it again there and juxtapose that with Penn St's continued desire to rewrite Joe Pa's history to not include harboring a child molester.

I don't disagree but if you want to start a national conversation about this wait until the Penn St game to do it, or do it again there and juxtapose that with Penn St's continued desire to rewrite Joe Pa's history to not include harboring a child molester.

Unfortunately, Penn State is on the road

Could garner even more publicity then...replace the Ms with 11s....everyone would have to talk about it. Shove it in their face.

I hate Penn State's handling of that whole sordid mess, but this is about honoring Jacob--not shoving it in somebody's face. Did you at all pay attention to Patty's words?

I'm for the salute to Jacob. When he was taken 27 years ago our children were very young and it really hit home. The 9/11 salute has run its course. Especially in this political year, because you know a certain Presidential candidate is going to use it as political ploy.

Yeah we should probably stop observing annoying and meaningless things like 9/11......right?....heck, sit down during the national anthem too..

Top Bottom