Gophers to hire Andrew Sowder as new TEs coach

Without knowing anything in depth about him, I’d say that for sure he brings a ton of experience to the staff. That can only be a good thing. I have to say however that I wonder how long a former, seemingly successful OC, is going to stick around as a TE coach? On the surface though, I think I really like the hire.

Anyone know what his reputation is as a recruiter?

As others have said, looks to be a great hire. Certainly has a lot of experience.

The other part of the article mentions stretching the field vertically. And that doesn't necessarily mean deep throws. With our TE talent it's a great fit.

Hoping he brings some creativity to the TE play here...

He also is a hire that, should either or both of our current co-OCs get hired away in the next few years (not saying that will happen, just speculating here) and he is still our TE coach he can easily slot into being OC down the line.

Think this is a great hire.

Without knowing anything in depth about him, I’d say that for sure he brings a ton of experience to the staff. That can only be a good thing. I have to say however that I wonder how long a former, seemingly successful OC, is going to stick around as a TE coach? On the surface though, I think I really like the hire.

Anyone know what his reputation is as a recruiter?
In the mix to work with Simon and Harbaugh on offensive game planning? Sure can't hurt. Might enhance the creativity/unpredictability element on offense that has waned here in recent years. Back up plan if Simon/Harbaugh falter? Lot to like about this hire.

PJ hiring the eventual replacements for current staff. I like it.

Daniel House seems excited about this hire. So I'm excited about this hire.

Agree with those that are thinking that PJ is looking ahead. Seems like a perfect fit to pair with Simon, if Harbaugh leaves, i.e., has coached QBs. Could also grow into sole OC, if Simon also leaves. I personally like Simon and hope he stays around. I thought he has called great games, when he has had the chance. It does seem like PJ is looking ahead multiple steps and grooming replacements for the inevitable departures.

Daniel House seems excited about this hire. So I'm excited about this hire.
Sowder actually was kind of a hot name in coaching a year ago because of Kent State's Flash Fast offense.

I think the offense was actually created by Sean Lewis (former HC at Kent State that left to be OC at Colorado) but it's considered really innovative. To my untrained eye it looks really similar to Art Briles offense. You can google it and see it on a number of articles and football podcasts.

There is a full breakdown on the offense on YouTube called "Watching Film: Is Kent State the Best Offense You've Never Heard Of?"

Sowder actually was kind of a hot name in coaching a year ago because of Kent State's Flash Fast offense.

I think the offense was actually created by Sean Lewis (former HC at Kent State that left to be OC at Colorado) but it's considered really innovative. To my untrained eye it looks really similar to Art Briles offense. You can google it and see it on a number of articles and football podcasts.

There is a full breakdown on the offense on YouTube called "Watching Film: Is Kent State the Best Offense You've Never Heard Of?"
I'm waiting for Some Guy's breakdown of it.

Another great position coach hire. Love getting former coordinators and HCs as position coaches. Brings so much experience.

Played at Wisconsin and coached under none other than Dino Babers himself at East Illinois, Bowling Green, and Syracuse

Top Bottom