Gophers Stun No. 2 Penn State

gophergrad

Reaction score
This is a pretty fun read. I remember watching the game at home but my mom dragged me to some bullsh!t apple picking farm before it ended (I was 15 at the time). It sounds like the kind of big upset you dream about being in person for. Anyone here at the game or have any fond memories of it?

We seem to have a recent history of playing Penn state close. So here is hoping for more of this.

I hear a victory bell

I just remember the slight smile on Paterno's face. Even though we had just ruined their National Championship hopes, he sort of liked seeing how hard we fought, and the elation the Gophers had when they won. He knew they had been beaten, and it was just one of those moments where you're glad to be associated with College football.

Wow...what memories...

I was working that day...kind of quiet because many people where in watching the game...I walked outside later in the day...there were many tourists and visitors in my New England town...I can recall many of the men saying something to the effect: "Did you hear what happened to Penn State today?...Unbelievable!...Minnesota!!'

Plenty of memories.

- Feeling happy for Thomas Hamner, who had a crucial fumble when we were trying to run out the clock in 1997 vs. Penn State.

- Arland Bruce and the tip.

- Tyrone Carter laying on the ground and too nervous to watch Nystrom's field goal.

- Lavar Arrington jumping higher than a human being ever has before...and still being unable to block Nystrom's kick.

- Alex Hass carrying Mason around on the field.

- Mark Dienhart being absolutely estatic, before being railroaded out of town.

- The other poster is right. Patrno probably had no idea how far his program would slip after this loss, but he was the most gracious losing coach I've ever seen after a game.

It was a typical busy Saturday...

...gopherfaith and I had forgotten it was a 11:00 game and turned it on midway through the 2nd quarter, and the Gophers were leading 9-7. It was our second year with season tickets.

We had suffered through the three close losses to Wisconsin, OSU and Purdue the four previous weeks, and when PSU scored before halftime, we're thinking "here we go again".

gopherfaith tried to put the whammy on the Lions by loading up on the maroon and gold necklaces and beads.

It must have worked..everyone knows how it went from there. The two completely unexpected long passes. That great camera shot from behind the goalpost. As soon as the ball made it up over the line of scrimmage, I started screaming "it's good, it's good!!!"

I'd say that's the game that sewed up our permanent and undying allegiance.

I was with a bunch of big buddies and little buddies at a YMCA skating trip. I used the pay phone three times to call my roomates and get an update. A cell phone would have been handy.

- Alex Hass carrying Mason around on the field.

QUOTE]

Ran into Alex at the bar that night and he was still flying high from the win. Will never forget it.

I remember calling my Dad (a PSU alum) as they were lining up for the final kick so that we could "experience" it together. When the kick went through, I probably burst his eardrum with my screaming for joy.

After hearing for my entire life about Penn State being God's gift to college football, it was nice to see the Gophers prove they could play with them even if it was just for one day.

One could argue that loss started the lowest part of Joe Pa's coaching history. They lost the final 2 Big 10 games that season and then proceded to go 5-7, 5-6, 9-4, 3-9, 4-7 over the next 5 seasons.

Greatest college football game I've ever seen. I'm glad BTN has been replaying it so I was able to get it on DVD.

I was screwed... having to attend a "couple's baby shower" that took place right in the middle of the game, and on top of that I had to drive all the way across town to get there. So, I saw the very first part of the game at home and then listened to it on the radio on the way to the freaking shower. But, once we got there I was happy to find most of the guys were huddled in front of a TV in a den so I did get to see most of the second half including the big last drive and game winner.

I can tell how much I have matured since then because there is no way I'd agree to go to something like that instead of watching a Gopher game now... no matter how much I was begged, threatened, incentivized, etc.

Lived out East at the time. Was watching the game in the basement. Jump so high that my hand hit the ceiling and I started bleeding. Didn't care. That is why I love sports. Moments like that are pure joy.

Here's a video link to the final drive:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjemC5yKwEc

Great to watch (other than the moronic announcer who confused the team names during our big play).

:clap:

I got chills watching that clip! I remember watching that game on TV. The announcers were shocked all day that Minnesota was going toe to toe with a team that everyone had already penciled into the NC game.

After the game Paterno was the definition of class. He walked up to the podium, paused a minute, and then eyed every reporter there.

"Well, looks like I was right, I told ya they were good"

Joe Pa is one of a kind. What a wonderful way for him to acknowledge a special day for the Golden Gophers.

I remember exactly where i was watching this game...i practically broke the couch i was sitting on I jumped so high.

I was screwed... having to attend a "couple's baby shower" that took place right in the middle of the game, and on top of that I had to drive all the way across town to get there. So, I saw the very first part of the game at home and then listened to it on the radio on the way to the freaking shower. But, once we got there I was happy to find most of the guys were huddled in front of a TV in a den so I did get to see most of the second half including the big last drive and game winner.

I can tell how much I have matured since then because there is no way I'd agree to go to something like that instead of watching a Gopher game now... no matter how much I was begged, threatened, incentivized, etc.

Remember, you young men who read here, there is no such thing as a "couple's baby shower". It's a women's baby shower for the first baby in which men drive their wife to the first child baby shower and then drive them home.

When the second kid comes, all is back to normal.

...gopherfaith and I had forgotten it was a 11:00 game and turned it on midway through the 2nd quarter, and the Gophers were leading 9-7. It was our second year with season tickets.

We had suffered through the three close losses to Wisconsin, OSU and Purdue the four previous weeks, and when PSU scored before halftime, we're thinking "here we go again".

gopherfaith tried to put the whammy on the Lions by loading up on the maroon and gold necklaces and beads.

It must have worked..everyone knows how it went from there. The two completely unexpected long passes. That great camera shot from behind the goalpost. As soon as the ball made it up over the line of scrimmage, I started screaming "it's good, it's good!!!"

I'd say that's the game that sewed up our permanent and undying allegiance.

Love my maroon and gold beads! Just been adding to them over the years. Might have to put another one on this Saturday to help us get the win. I think highwayman and I jumped around the family room for quite a while that glorious day.

After the game

I was there and almost went balistic.

After the game, Mason did not fly home with the team but was invited to Joe Pa's for a party that evening. Understand Joe has a get together after every home game.

We were wondering at the time if Joe had his eye on Mason when he retired. Obviously that was not the case.

Boy did I go bonkers that day.

Not even Mason's best win though. The performance at OSU was a genuine masterpiece.

I moved the couch and recliner in the basement to give myself a clear runway to the fake football I was about to kick over Arrington and thru the uprights. I made it also!

hulu.com

I believe the entire game can be seen on hulu.com

Top Bottom