Gophers "Shakiest" Top 25 Team?

I'm not sure what traits exactly describe the "shakiest" top 25 team, but Si.com's Grant Wahl believes the Gophers are the shakiest. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/basketball/ncaa/11/17/crystal.ball.predictions/index.html?eref=sihp

That's pretty weak if you ask me considering the team, even without White and Mbakwe, should be improved over last year's team.

Agree. But he's obviously basing his assessment on the suspensions and nothing else. I agree that's it pretty weak, but I'm not surprised considering the amount of attention the situations with Royce and Trevor have gotten both locally and nationally.

When was this written? Before all the near Top-25 upsets of the past few days?

Uninformed. Tournament team coming back with everyone and another year under Tubby. I guess we will find out next Thursday............

Two reasons we are shaky:

One reason might be our schedule. While teams like Kentucky and Tennessee are rolling through the SEC, for example, the Gophers have to face a tough test every night in conference (exceptions with maybe Iowa and NW from what I saw last night).

Plus, what is this team going to do when it can't force 25 turnovers a night and create steals basically on demand, as has been the case so far? Even with everyone returning from last year you have to admit our set offense is shaky at best, with no dominant low post player, or a guard that can consistently penetrate and create his own shot against pressure defense. If the threes aren't falling, the Gopher O is usually in big trouble. Against the Big 10, we won't be on the receiving end of as many mistakes, fast break opportunities, and easy points.

Three reasons we are not shaky: Defense, Defense, Defense. It will keep us in almost every game.

gopher offense

I agree with your post. I am a little dissapointed that both Iverson and Sampson haven't looked any better scoring in the post so far this year. Iverson is still off balance and Sampson is still shying away from contact. The big ten lacks alot of true post players, I was hoping this was one position we would have an advantage in. It remains to be seen.

I agree with your post. I am a little dissapointed that both Iverson and Sampson haven't looked any better scoring in the post so far this year. Iverson is still off balance and Sampson is still shying away from contact. The big ten lacks alot of true post players, I was hoping this was one position we would have an advantage in. It remains to be seen.

Agree on Iverson. Sampson however, looks improved on offense. He dropped a sweet left handed baby hook last game that was in perfect form. We'll see more when he faces somebody his own size.

I don't think we have any convincing information to determine whether the Gophers are a shaky top-25 team at this point. What we do know is that they can kill inferior competition, which I suppose is better than "not being able to kill" inferior opponents. After the 4-game 76 Classic/Miami stretch, we'll have a decent idea of whether we're shaky or not.

Agreed concerning the offense. I still don't think we'll end up outside the top 25 at the end of the regular season. Maybe we'll bounce in and out of the top 25 (I guess that could qualify us as a "shaky" top 25 team).

Some instant offense is needed. We've seen how the team can dominate when the O is fueled by 3 pointers or a hot hand (see, e.g., Westbrook at Wisconsin last year). The offense really lacks a Bobby Jackson-type go to guard (which Westbrook can be occasionally) and a beast down low in the post. That being said, they should be a top 25 team as they currently exist for most of the season.

Sampson however, looks improved on offense. He dropped a sweet left handed baby hook last game that was in perfect form. We'll see more when he faces somebody his own size.

I'm cautiously optomistic. Baby hooks and “up and unders” are sweet moves but we really need a post player who can face the basket and go hard to the hoop. Here’s to hoping RSIII plays tougher this year.

Considering our VERY deep bench and good defense, we should not be considered the shakiest top 25 team. We have blown out every inferior team so far this year and have not given any signs of letting one of those go. We return every starter from last year, along with a few younger developing players. Hopefully we can get a few of our suspended players back, and then we will be looking really good.

so SI dislikes us this year and thinks we are overrated. guess its up to our team to dispel their doubts. go Gophers, prove 'em all wrong!

I don't know. We still in many ways look a lot like last year's team.

I think my post earlier in this thread before this game was played sums it up pretty well.

I agree, this team is still offensively challenged.

Agreed. I don't believe this team is deep enough without Mbakwe and White. The remaining forwards have a huge hole to fill and I doubt they have the bulk to do the job.

Having said that I still think this team will go to the dance and make us all proud.

Gophers Have Issues to Resolve

Unless the Gopher basketball team significantly improves their half court offense (absolutely painful to watch) and their interior defense (very porous against the much smaller Utah Valley), they will have a rough time in the B10. Rodney is going to be a star. This team needs a superstar leader to get the team rolling. A lot of standing around looking for leadership on the court with this team.

I've tried to resist responding, but I can't help but notice that you only have negative things to say about the Gophers unless it's about Paul Carter. Are you negative about everything or just the Gophers? All most every single post, seriously, so unnecessary. And please don't give the usual everyone's entitled to their own opinion line or I'm sorry I'm not ra-ra like everyone else, I'm just being realistic. I know it's only a few games in and it's against weak opponents, but do you need to already bring the excitement about Rodney down because you seem to think you know his future already? I know you like to start debates on here (I see you've attempted to start one on this thread with someone else), but seriously, I wonder if you really even support the Gophers with the stuff you post on here.

I don't know. We still in many ways look a lot like last year's team.

I've tried to resist responding, but I can't help but notice that you only have negative things to say about the Gophers unless it's about Paul Carter. Are you negative about everything or just the Gophers? All most every single post, seriously, so unnecessary.

:confused::confused::confused:

I know it's only a few games in and it's against weak opponents, but do you need to already bring the excitement about Rodney down because you seem to think you know his future already?

I know you like to start debates on here (I see you've attempted to start one on this thread with someone else),

but seriously, I wonder if you really even support the Gophers with the stuff you post on here.

Talent is absolutely essential in big time college basketball, no question about it. That being said, I will take a great coach with good players that buy into the system vs. great players with issues and an average coach. Tubby is in his third year and our talent, depth, and excitement hasn't been this good in 10 years. In addition, you can see he is building a really deep team that will have success for years to come vs. one and done. Let's face it, we are probably not going to the final four this year but we are headed in the right direction. Turning around a lousy program to where it is today is nothing short of amazing. We will be competitive in every game we play this year. We will lose some that we are favored and upset a few teams. Let's have fun with what's going on with the team, play with the players we have, and have a great year.

Top Bottom