Gophers remain on dubious list

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
With wins by Clemson (1) and Florida State (2 so far), Minnesota is now one of only 9 BCS programs that has failed to win a NCAA Tournament game since 2000. And yes, Clemson's win in the "First Four" does count. ... it's part of the NCAA Tournament.

BCS Programs with No NCAA Wins since 2000
1. Colorado
2. GOPHERS (going farther back Gophs haven't won a NCAA game since UCLA-'97)
3. Nebraska
4. Northwestern
5. Oregon State
6. Providence
7. Rutgers
8. South Carolina
9. South Florida

A couple other lists. ...

BCS Programs with No NCAA Appearances since 2000
1. Nebraska
2. Northwestern
3. Oregon State
4. Rutgers
5. South Florida

NCAA Tournament Every Year since 2000 (no one dropped out this season)
1. Duke
2. Gonzaga
3. Kansas
4. Michigan State
5. Texas
6. Wisconsin

I agree Coolhand. It's still hard for me to fathom that the last time we savored a Gophers NCAA tourney victory, I was barely in my 30s. Definitely borders on pathetic considering we're a Big Ten institution. Even a blind squirrel (Penn State -- Sweet 16 in 2001) finds an acorn once in a while.

With wins by Clemson (1) and Florida State (2 so far), Minnesota is now one of only 9 BCS programs that has failed to win a NCAA Tournament game since 2000. And yes, Clemson's win in the "First Four" does count. ... it's part of the NCAA Tournament.

BCS Programs with No NCAA Wins since 2000
1. Colorado
2. GOPHERS (going farther back Gophs haven't won a NCAA game since UCLA-'97)
3. Nebraska
4. Northwestern
5. Oregon State
6. Providence
7. Rutgers
8. South Carolina
9. South Florida

A couple other lists. ...

BCS Programs with No NCAA Appearances since 2000
1. Nebraska
2. Northwestern
3. Oregon State
4. Rutgers
5. South Florida

NCAA Tournament Every Year since 2000 (no one dropped out this season)
1. Duke
2. Gonzaga
3. Kansas
4. Michigan State
5. Texas
6. Wisconsin

When was the last year we won a tournament game without it being vacated? 1990?

Ouch! At least a few of the schools on that list have had big football seasons since 2000. We have nothing. Thanks Joel.

Let us all bitch an moan about the status of things from the past. How about we try be optimistic about the future? We can do NOTHING about the past, but it sure is fun to complain about it. :) I don't know about any real other Gopher "Fans", but I always look ahead, not back.

That is what makes me a fan.

Go Gophers!!!

Ouch! At least a few of the schools on that list have had big football seasons since 2000. We have nothing. Thanks Joel.

Every school on that list (not including Providence) has arguably had more success in football than MN except for Colorado. I guess since 2000 it's debatable as MN was pretty good from 2000-2005. But certainly from 2006-2011. We have better major revenue sports than Colorado! Thanks Joel. Polish that award for most wins/budget dollar some more.

Let us all bitch an moan about the status of things from the past. How about we try be optimistic about the future? We can do NOTHING about the past, but it sure is fun to complain about it. :) I don't know about any real other Gopher "Fans", but I always look ahead, not back.

That is what makes me a fan.

Go Gophers!!!

Please make us a list of acceptable GopherHole topics "Dr." Don. You are insufferable lately.

Please make us a list of acceptable GopherHole topics "Dr." Don. You are insufferable lately.

I am insufferable? Vision, you evidently have not been keeping tabs on GopherHole. topics? Yes, any topics are, to me, those that don't end up in pissing contests. Wanna get into one?

And at least Colorado won the Big 12 and went to the Fiesta Bowl in 2001.

I'm not bit*hing Don, just pointing out a fact. I'd prefer not to be lumped with the trolls who seem to revel in the Gophers' struggle to become a top-tier Big Ten program.

If the Gophers go 29-3 next season, are you saying after the season is over we shouldn't take a look back because it'll then be in the past?

Not entirely true...Pam Borton brought home some NCAA bacon a few years back:D

Top Bottom