Gophers recruiting

EG#9

Reaction score
I was browsing the ESPNU site and checked out the Big Ten recruiting classes for 2010: http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recr...iting/tracker/conference?season=2010&confId=7

I was surprised that 9 of the other 10 Big Ten teams have at least one recruit that is higher ranked than either of the Gophers recruits. I do question ESPN's rankings to a point, but even if they do underrate both Eliason and Hollins, the classes put together by Illinois, Ohio State, etc are very strong.

My bigger concern is 2011. According to the same site, 7 of the other 10 Big Ten teams have commitments for 2011. The Gophers could still have 2 scholarships to give for 2010, which makes me question how far we are going to get "behind" on recruiting kids for 2011.

I was browsing the ESPNU site and checked out the Big Ten recruiting classes for 2010: http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recr...iting/tracker/conference?season=2010&confId=7

I was surprised that 9 of the other 10 Big Ten teams have at least one recruit that is higher ranked than either of the Gophers recruits. I do question ESPN's rankings to a point, but even if they do underrate both Eliason and Hollins, the classes put together by Illinois, Ohio State, etc are very strong.

My bigger concern is 2011. According to the same site, 7 of the other 10 Big Ten teams have commitments for 2011. The Gophers could still have 2 scholarships to give for 2010, which makes me question how far we are going to get "behind" on recruiting kids for 2011.

Tubby has signed Top 20 (or better) classes in 12 of the past 15 years. I don't think he relies on ESPN rankings nor which other teams have early commitments.

The Gophers are high on the list of several MN players from 2011 class, notably Joe Coleman.

2010, as it currently stands and likely will continue to stand, is a bad recruiting year for Minnesota relative to others in the Big Ten. It's not going to get us to the upper echelon. Ohio State, Michigan State and Illinois all have incredible classes coming in... many others have better classes coming in than we do. For Tubby also, a down year.

2011 - don't worry about 2011 too much at this point.. plenty of time. Way to early to get concerned there.. there are many possibilities.

Also, remember that not using a 2010 scholarship just means that an additional 2011 spot is open (in theory... although they are really one year scholarships). If you can get someone who can help your program, you do it.. but the goal is not to use up all your scholarship every year with warm bodies.

The lack of instate talent in 2010 compared to 2009 is a killer. At this point, we are not going to be able to outrecruit Michigan State, Ohio State, and Illinois in their respective home states. That's where most of their classes are coming from. Losing Royce from such a deep class last year is such a waste.

Who would be a Gopher had Royce White not accepted his Gopher sholarship?

Losing Royce from such a deep class last year is such a waste.

Great point Gold Vision. Who would the Gophers have likely targeted had Royce White not been an option?

I am not in any way criticizing offering White a scholarship. I was all for it.

I was just wondering who we might have had with White's 2009 scholarship from the 2009 class?

Great point Gold Vision. Who would the Gophers have likely targeted had Royce White not been an option?

I was just wondering who we might have had with White's 2009 scholarship from the 2009 class?

Broghammer? No thank you.

I've got to think we would've offered Brueswitz, Dower, or Lockett.

I think some of you are a bit confused on the recruiting process. It should be a constant effort and should not stop, ever. You don't 'close the door' just because you get a commitment. If there is a great player you have a chance to get, you sign him, even if it means oversigning.

You don't say, "welp, Royce White just signed with us and we have no more open scholarships. Let's stop talking to all 2009 kids, this year is all wrapped up."

I think some of you are a bit confused on the recruiting process. It should be a constant effort and should not stop, ever. You don't 'close the door' just because you get a commitment. If there is a great player you have a chance to get, you sign him, even if it means oversigning.

You don't say, "welp, Royce White just signed with us and we have no more open scholarships. Let's stop talking to all 2009 kids, this year is all wrapped up."

I think you're a little confused yourself about the game of basketball. You don't sign 4 power forwards in one class. When White and Mbakwe sign your interest in Dower and Bruesewitz goes down. Yes, maybe you stay in contact, but that doesn't garner an offer. If White doesn't commit, there is a good chance one of those to do.

KP and Busch left. They had already worked the scholarships for two more. You're flat out wrong if you think early commits don't reflect recruiting strategy.

I think you're a little confused yourself about the game of basketball. You don't sign 4 power forwards in one class. When White and Mbakwe sign your interest in Dower and Bruesewitz goes down. Yes, maybe you stay in contact, but that doesn't garner an offer. If White doesn't commit, there is a good chance one of those to do.

KP and Busch left. They had already worked the scholarships for two more. You're flat out wrong if you think early commits don't reflect recruiting strategy.

I didn't say early commits don't reflect recruiting strategy.. of course they reflect them. (although you probably meant "impact".. which, again, yes of course they do)

A few things: I would advise against deciding that young men, most of whom are still in high school, are a "power forward" or anything else... there are a lot of different 'types' of players, and there is no requirement that you play a PG, SG, SF, PF, C... in fact, many top schools do not even come close to a 'traditional position' lineup. I see people on this message board often talking about, "we need a PF, period." ... "Eliason is a C, so he must be redshirted because we have Colton and Ralph".. what we need right now are players. GREAT players. (and a point guard especially, but if you can get a great player at another position, do it).

You don't stop talking to a 6'9" 220 pound kid just because "you have too many power forwards". Obviously if you need a point guard, you'll be looking for that - but you will also be talking to GREAT big men as well.. my point is you don't turn down a 5 star talent just because you're "out of scholarships" for next year.

At any rate, you bring up two people... my point isn't specific to one program or one circumstance.. but, since you brought it up... "if White doesn't commit there is a good chance one of those two do".. uhhh, .. "you might stay in contact but that doesn't garner an offer".. uhhh...

IIRC, White committed in April 2008. Bruesewitz had already decided on playing for the Rodents... a couple of months before White went to the Gophers. Also, our interest actually picked up for Dower long after White had committed and we did offer him.

On a more somber note, Dower committed to the Zags shortly after his visit to Milwaukee. :/

I was thinking about what stiff competition we have for Joseph being that Texas and villinova are good schools for guards. Yet I think the collection of guards at both schools give us a chance to land Joseph. At Texas he will be behind Avery Bradley,Balbay, Jai lucas. Lucas and Balbay are the point guards(his natural position) and Bradley will be in front of him at shooting guard. While Villinova will be losing Reggie redding and Scottie reynolds, they still have highly recruited Malik Wayns and Dominic Cheek along with star guards Corey Fischer and Corey stokes. With the Gophers even if Al comes back he'll be behind him at point guard and maybe get minutes at shooting guard behind devoe, thats alot of minutes, and I'm sure the chance to get those minutes as a freshman playing with your big brother will be very appealing.

Tubby has signed Top 20 (or better) classes in 12 of the past 15 years. I don't think he relies on ESPN rankings nor which other teams have early commitments.

The Gophers are high on the list of several MN players from 2011 class, notably Joe Coleman.

Seriously, folks are just trying to have a legitimate conversation about the merits of the current and future recruiting classes. We know and understand Tubby's past recruiting successes, etc. and quite frankly the vast majority of people on this board LOVE Tubby as our coach. I for one believe we are incredibly fortunate to have him. But please lay off the immediate responses like this, we got it.

Seriously, folks are just trying to have a legitimate conversation about the merits of the current and future recruiting classes. We know and understand Tubby's past recruiting successes, etc. and quite frankly the vast majority of people on this board LOVE Tubby as our coach. I for one believe we are incredibly fortunate to have him. But please lay off the immediate responses like this, we got it.

I answered both questions raised in the original post.

#1 the poster was concerned about 2010 recruiting. A = Odds are, don't be.

#2 ditto about early 2011 recruiting. A = ditto, with specific possibilities.

I answered both questions raised in the original post.

#1 the poster was concerned about 2010 recruiting. A = Odds are, don't be.

#2 ditto about early 2011 recruiting. A = ditto, with specific possibilities.

The problems are:

#1 Odds show the past... we already know much about 2010 - there's not much out there. If the Gophers outside chance at getting Cory Joseph is realized, they may be on the cups of the top 25 in recruiting. However, more likely than not, we don't get Joseph and there's no way in any sane person's mind we are close to the top 25 this year. Reality says it's reasonable to be concerned about 2010 recruiting.

#2 You point out Joe Coleman. The original poster's concerns were around our recruiting as compared to other Big Ten teams. Joe Coleman is not a top recruit - getting him does not help in comparison to most of the Big Ten teams. He's not a 'notable recruit' in the context of Big Ten recruiting.

The problems are:

#1 Odds show the past... we already know much about 2010 - there's not much out there. If the Gophers outside chance at getting Cory Joseph is realized, they may be on the cups of the top 25 in recruiting. However, more likely than not, we don't get Joseph and there's no way in any sane person's mind we are close to the top 25 this year. Reality says it's reasonable to be concerned about 2010 recruiting.

#2 You point out Joe Coleman. The original poster's concerns were around our recruiting as compared to other Big Ten teams. Joe Coleman is not a top recruit - getting him does not help in comparison to most of the Big Ten teams. He's not a 'notable recruit' in the context of Big Ten recruiting.

Since you like to point out everyone's little mistakes, I'll point out that its cusp, not cups, unless you are talking about Emily Fox and her cup stacking.

Since you like to point out everyone's little mistakes, I'll point out that its cusp, not cups, unless you are talking about Emily Fox and her cup stacking.

1) Big difference between a typo and not knowing basic grammar and spelling.

2) I don't create posts solely to 'point out...little mistakes'. You do. That's ugly. (ps - it's vs. its).
I bet you're excited about Austin Hollins.

I may be alone

1) Big difference between a typo and not knowing basic grammar and spelling.

2) I don't create posts solely to 'point out...little mistakes'. You do. That's ugly. (ps - it's vs. its).
I bet you're excited about Austin Hollins.

I may be alone on this issue but I enjoy all the corrections. We all make a typo or two and I know I don't spell very well so when folks make the corrections I find it a positive thing.

I also find the ensuing "corrections" pie fights amusing.

Yes, I am excited about Austin Hollins. I have no problem with solid 3 star kids who have the hoops background that he does. Yes, we could use a 4 or 5 star mixed in but it is what it is.

What excites me the most is having Tubby as our head coach.

With Tubby, we have some dignity and some hope.

Just IMHO.

Why rip on Hollins?

We need solid basketball players. From all accounts, that is exactly what he is.

Plus, doesn't he have a ridiculous wingspan too? If so, probably molds well with Tubby's philosophy of deflections and Team Defense.

Top Bottom