Gophers receive 16 votes in latest USA Today Coaches Poll

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Others Receiving Votes
Oklahoma State 106; Florida 84; Louisville 73; Mississippi State 72; Michigan 59; Washington 51; Duke 47; Brigham Young 26; Iowa 23; TCU 23; Minnesota 16; Louisiana-Lafayette 13; Marshall 11; Virginia Tech 11; West Virginia 7; Cincinnati 7; Arizona 6; Oregon State 5; Pittsburgh 2; Rutgers 2; Northern Illinois 2; Colorado State 2; Texas Tech 2; Temple 1; Boise State 1; Memphis 1.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/polls/

Go Gophers!!

TCU is right ahead of us with 23 votes. If we can win that one and MTSU, maybe we'll get a sniff at the top 25.

TCU is right ahead of us with 23 votes. If we can win that one and MTSU, maybe we'll get a sniff at the top 25.

I would bet those two wins put us there. Enough teams will lose somewhere in the next couple weeks, and a win against a comparable team should get it done. Do they list the coach by coach breakdown? I'd be curious how many of our votes come from Kill and coaches with us on their schedule.

Need a lot more help than that. There are some more popular names in front of us (OSU, Florida, Michigan, Iowa). We would have to really thump TCU and have a lot of upsets.

Need a lot more help than that. There are some more popular names in front of us (OSU, Florida, Michigan, Iowa). We would have to really thump TCU and have a lot of upsets.

Agree, I don't think wins over MTSU and TCU would be enough to push us into the rankings without a ton of turmoil ahead of us. In the end I could care less about rankings this time of year because really until teams get into conference play they are just for the fans and media and no one really has any idea if they are accurate.

Would be interesting to see where Gophers support comes from. Is it 16 25 votes which would indicate pretty widespread support or 4 21 votes?

Anyone know of a website that publishes how each coach votes? USA Today doesn't seem to break it down.

Well TCU is one team ahead of us already. I would bet that it would be determined by who these other teams play. A road win against a good TCU would likely look quite a bit better than some other teams beating up on cupcakes.

The Gophers got an assist by playing on Thursday. It gave them the chance to actually be seen by the voters, most of whom are too busy with their own games, including prep and aftermath, on Saturday to actually see nearly all of the other games. It must also be said that while many coaches officially have ballots, they often hand them off on an unofficial basis to someone else (SID, AD, assistant, student intern, their kids).

Anyway, I haven't been able to find a breakdown of how the coaches voted, but here is a list of who gets a ballot. Make your own assumptions from here.

Blake Anderson, Arkansas State
Dino Babers, Bowling Green
David Bailiff, Rice
Frank Beamer, Virginia Tech
Todd Berry, Louisiana-Monroe
Bret Bielema, Arkansas
Larry Blakeney, Troy
Bill Blankenship, Tulsa
Craig Bohl, Wyoming
Terry Bowden, Akron
Art Briles, Baylor
Troy Calhoun, Air Force
Matt Campbell, Toledo
Rod Carey, Northern Illinois
Norm Chow, Hawaii
Larry Coker, Texas-San Antonio
David Cutcliffe, Duke
Mark Dantonio, Michigan State
Tim DeRuyter, Fresno State
Bob Diaco, Connecticut
Larry Fedora, North Carolina
Jimbo Fisher, Florida State
Dennis Franchione, Texas State
Justin Fuente, Memphis
Al Golden, Miami (Fla.)
Mike Gundy, Oklahoma State
Bobby Hauck, UNLV
Brady Hoke, Michigan
Paul Johnson, Georgia Tech
Brian Kelly, Notre Dame
Jerry Kill, Minnesota
Mike Leach, Washington State
Rocky Long, San Diego State
Mike MacIntyre, Colorado
Dan McCarney, North Texas
Bronco Mendenhall, Brigham Young
Urban Meyer, Ohio State
Les Miles, LSU
Todd Monken, Southern Mississippi
Ken Niumatalolo, Navy
George O'Leary, Central Florida
Gary Patterson, TCU
Bo Pelini, Nebraska
Chris Petersen, Washington
Gary Pinkel, Missouri
Jeff Quinn, Buffalo
Matt Rhule, Temple
Mark Richt, Georgia
Mike Riley, Oregon State
Rich Rodriguez, Arizona
Nick Saban, Alabama
Steve Sarkisian, USC
Frank Solich, Ohio
Steve Spurrier, South Carolina
Rick Stockstill, Middle Tennessee
Bob Stoops, Oklahoma
Charlie Strong, Texas
Kevin Sumlin, Texas A& M
Dabo Swinney, Clemson
Tommy Tuberville, Cincinnati
Ron Turner, Florida International
Kevin Wilson, Indiana

Realist, question for you: Does Larry Fedora of North Carolina wear a fedora?

Anyway, I haven't been able to find a breakdown of how the coaches voted, but here is a list of who gets a ballot. Make your own assumptions from here.

We'll need to know who the director of ops or sports information directors are for those coaches.

Jesus H Christ, Realist...do you ever understand bullschidt and sarcasm? You pups are all too frikking serious. :drink::drink::drink:

I get sarcasm. That was me not buying what you were selling in order to get a rise out of you. Hey, it's all good over here if it is with you. :D

Be careful. People here may call you a Bison troll.

Nah, 100% of his posts aren't about NDSU so he's okay.

I'm just curious why you don't post about all the other local college teams that have a ton of MN kids on them.

Top Bottom