Gophers ranked No. 109 in preseason KenPom rankings

Kind of like Jerry Palm and his bracketology after 1 week into the season. With the Zags as the #1 overall seed and a final 4 birth. LOL

The good news: 109 doesn't seem nearly as bad when you realize they rate 363 teams.
The bad news: If we lose a non conference game with our schedule we could go into a free fall.
Is Iowa really worthy of being #23?

KenPom is a statistical analysis based on last years team and incoming talent. I take this way over someone who just does the same song and dance every year and picks the "name" teams every year. What this says is we were not very good last year and our returning talent and recruiting does not give us reason for optimism. While I think it is wrong, I understand how a ranking can come to that conclusion. Last year, as bad as it was, I saw us playing above our skill and see the same thing happening again. I see us in late January, early Feb talking about the bubble this year.

I think there's enough new talent, combined with solid coaching, to put this team close to the NCAA tournament. If they stay healthy I wouldn't be surprised to see them get in.

What works against them is this may be the year that the selection committee decides to punish the B1G for previous poor tournament performances. Maybe only seven teams get in.

Bubble territory for the new 96 team NCAA tournament...

I do like KenPom rankings, it's pretty much all I look at. Has really helped on selections for bracket.

Gophers OOC opponents according to KenPom:

Western Michigan - 268
St. Francis(NY) - 346
DePaul - 88
Central Michigan - 303
Cal Baptist - 148
Virginia Tech - 21
Mississippi State - 53
Arkansas Pine Bluff - 361
Chicago State - 359
Alcorn State - 334

Play 1 of these:

Southern Illinois - 90
UNLV - 118

Avg KenPom rating of the known opponents: 228.1.

Gophers OOC opponents according to KenPom:

Western Michigan - 268
St. Francis(NY) - 346
DePaul - 88
Central Michigan - 303
Cal Baptist - 148
Virginia Tech - 21
Mississippi State - 53
Arkansas Pine Bluff - 361
Chicago State - 359
Alcorn State - 334

Play 1 of these:

Southern Illinois - 90
UNLV - 118

Avg KenPom rating of the known opponents: 228.1.
So... let's just win them all. Really hope to see more of the bench this year in blowout games. I know we want the starters to get reps, etc, but since we are deeper I hope we can keep the starters minutes around 28-29 in those blow out games instead of all the way up to 37-40.

So... let's just win them all. Really hope to see more of the bench this year in blowout games. I know we want the starters to get reps, etc, but since we are deeper I hope we can keep the starters minutes around 28-29 in those blow out games instead of all the way up to 37-40.

9-2 has to be the worst we can do IMO. Which would be a split of the VT, DePaul, Mississippi State and So. Ill/UNLV games. And then going 7-0 in the others, which is a must. But that would still be a little bit of a disappointment.

I have been saying it as long as I can remember, the NCAA Tournament needs to be expanded to 109 teams!
You don't think that having conference tournaments, in which the teams are seeded, the winner can get an official spot in the 64-team field, and then get hot and win, doesn't pretty much do exactly what you're requesting.

I feel that every conference tournament qualifies as expanding the NCAA tournament. In my opinion, the NCAA tournament already includes virtually every program affiliated with a conference because of those conference tournaments.

You don't think that having conference tournaments, in which the teams are seeded, the winner can get an official spot in the 64-team field, and then get hot and win, doesn't pretty much do exactly what you're requesting.

I feel that every conference tournament qualifies as expanding the NCAA tournament. In my opinion, the NCAA tournament already includes virtually every program affiliated with a conference because of those conference tournaments.
@matt was joking that the tournament should be expanded to exactly 109 teams to enable the KenPom #109-ranked Gophers to get in!

So... let's just win them all. Really hope to see more of the bench this year in blowout games.

Well, since there are only 10 active scholarship players on the team, that shouldn't be too hard to accomplish. The last 3 games of the non-conference slate seem to be good candidates for that.

I'm hyped! Ranked 109th nationally and 14th in Big 10 there is no where to go but up. Even if they finish 13th they will have exceeded expectations. Go Gophers!

How we get that high? We are going to be terrible

I think there's enough new talent, combined with solid coaching, to put this team close to the NCAA tournament. If they stay healthy I wouldn't be surprised to see them get in.

What works against them is this may be the year that the selection committee decides to punish the B1G for previous poor tournament performances. Maybe only seven teams get in.
How’s that looking ?

Top Bottom