Gophers play the BT's toughest schedule in 09

Go Gophers Rah

Section 238 Row 21
Reaction score
From the perspective of each teams' opponent's W-L record from 2008, the Gophers play the Big Ten's toughest schedule in 2009. I know that might not be the best metric for determining strength of schedule, but until we see how teams actually perform in 2009, it might be the best metric available.

Here is the link: http://www.philsteele.com/fbsinfo/09WINLOSSOPP.html

And here is the conference ranking amongst the 120 FBS teams:

11) Minnesota
26) Iowa
27) Indiana
28t) Illinois
28t) Michigan State
41) Michigan
46) Wisconsin
63) Purdue
80) Ohio State
95) Penn State
111) Northwestern

The shame of this is that we could be vastly better than Northwestern and beat them on the field, but still end up watching them play a bowl game while we sit at home.

games

Just win BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:clap:

From the perspective of each teams' opponent's W-L record from 2008, the Gophers play the Big Ten's toughest schedule in 2009. I know that might not be the best metric for determining strength of schedule, but until we see how teams actually perform in 2009, it might be the best metric available.

Here is the link: http://www.philsteele.com/fbsinfo/09WINLOSSOPP.html

And here is the conference ranking amongst the 120 FBS teams:

11) Minnesota
26) Iowa
27) Indiana
28t) Illinois
28t) Michigan State
41) Michigan
46) Wisconsin
63) Purdue
80) Ohio State
95) Penn State
111) Northwestern

The shame of this is that we could be vastly better than Northwestern and beat them on the field, but still end up watching them play a bowl game while we sit at home.

Too true unfortunately. However, my chili must be hot today (or maybe my kool-aid this AM was just stronger than usual) b/c I'm choosing to see the flip side of this equation...putting together a decent record (8-4) with this schedule should garner a little more respect then normal. Glass half full today people!

Yeah, but playing a tough schedule will vault them over other teams into the BCS Championship game.

For reference, the teams we've dscussed inviting to the Big 10...

3 Syracuse 98 57 63.2% 10
31 Nebraska 85 67 55.9% 6
39 Pittsburgh 85 70 54.8% 8
54 Missouri 79 70 53.0% 6
73 Rutgers 70 68 50.7% 6
86 Notre Dame 76 77 49.7% 7 *

* only ranked this low due to principled dedicaton to the academies

I am weary of the schedule debate....

....anyone look at Texas's schedule this year? It is Mason-esque.

I love that we are playing name teams...and the "glory" that will come from that....if we were really good.

We'll see if this tough schedule prevents a bowl or increases the glory for treading water (7-5).

GM

it may affect the record

But I would take a harder schedule against better teams over a cupcake schedule any day of the week. Better games to watch, shows how good the team really is, better for recruits, and shows they are not scared and have faith in the talent of their squad. I know they may have owon, but I hated going to the dome to see a half full crowd see the Gophs beat some crappy D1-AA team, just my 2 cents.

I'm OK with this schedule as i'm looking forward to 2010 as the break out year for Brewster anyways. This schedule will make the team better and more competitive as they go into that 2010 season. What I really am not looking forward to is all the brewster bashing that will likely make this forum unreadable for the next off season as people are more hung up on the record over improvement and development.

my grandpa was a big sports fan and said, "a lot of times, you are as good as your competition." meaning that if you play more competition, you will improve more and you will oftentimes play up to the teams you are playing against. Playing difficult competition makes the cupcake teams seem easier.

That is why I don't expect much better than 6-6 this fall and the sixth win may very well have to be in Iowa City.

If you wanna be the best you got to beat the best!!

anyone...

That complains about a tough schedule is a complete TOOL! Is this not what we have all been asking for???

I don't see anyone complaining (I think Studwell is being facetious). I am certainly not complaining - just pointing out that people outside of Minnesota are viewing our schedule as a stringent one.

I picked up a copy of the Sporting News' College Football Preview yesterday and they show the Gophers as being improved over 2008, but not playing in a bowl. I think this is a distinct possibility.

I agree that this could be an opportunity to really make our mark. A 7+ win season this year should legitimize the program and turn some heads locally and nationally.

I'm OK with this schedule as i'm looking forward to 2010 as the break out year for Brewster anyways. This schedule will make the team better and more competitive as they go into that 2010 season....

as has been mentioned by several on these boards, there is eager anticipation for 2010, when a 'break out' year might be witnessed. i assume the phrase 'break out year' refers to an improvement in overall (and big 11) record...using last year's 7-6 (3-5) record as the baseline...:confused::confused::confused:

what are the 2 primary factors in driving win/loss record?

1. caliber of the competition :eek::eek::eek:
2. quality of the gopher team :):):)

let's start with the caliber of competition in 2010...southern cal...ohio state...penn state...no indiana...are u kiddin' me???:eek::eek::eek:

now, how 'bout we look inward...and check out the gopher defense...
here is what might be lost heading into 2010, if i've got my 'years' straight...

at db...both multi-year starting corners, simmons and sherels, will be done...and safety brock appears to be done right now...a year early

at lb...all of 2008-2009's experience will be gone...campbell, simoni lawrence, triplett, rex sharpe

at dl...both of 2008-2009's starters at dt will be gone...small and brown...and 2 key players in the de rotation will also have departed...mckinley and onwuachi....along with the most highly rated gopher de coming out of high school, raymond henderson...

on offense, all-big 11 receiver from 2008 (decker) will have graduated, along with the tow-arnett brothers, matt stommes, jay thomas, et al....

the bottom line is...the gophers will have lost a ton heading into 2010:eek::eek::eek:

however, i've heard that there may be some talent waiting in the wings :D:D:D

let's just say i've got some realistic expectations for the next 2 seasons (approx. .500), which, if significantly exceeded, should result in much merriment on these boards

otoh, if realistic expectations are not met in year's #3 and #4 of the current regime...:eek::eek::eek:

I don't see anyone complaining .I think Studwell is being facetious).

Studwell was not being facetious. Given the rest of this year's schedule, Studwell wishes we had a cupcake at home that day. Studwell thinks our lack of depth really shows up at the end of the season.

Top Bottom