Gophers PJ Fleck 1-6 Against Iowa

GopherMarroon

Reaction score
PJ Fleck beat Iowa last season. That monkey is off his back.

Now about the 1-6 record...

Big game.

Hot ticket.

1726425312340.png

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Beat the Corn Chickens, again.

Attachments

• IMG_7899.jpeg
    IMG_7899.jpeg
    19 KB · Views: 0

Seems like PJ is on the march to get this 1 and 6 back to .500. 2 and 6 is still disgusting but changing our best.

I’ve seen it mentioned in at least a couple places that the game against Iowa is a hot ticket. Yet with less than a week to kickoff, the Gopher ticket website looks like there are plenty of tickets left.

I do think it will probably be a sellout by Saturday but there is still a decent number of tickets available now.

I’ve seen it mentioned in at least a couple places that the game against Iowa is a hot ticket. Yet with less than a week to kickoff, the Gopher ticket website looks like there are plenty of tickets left.

I do think it will probably be a sellout by Saturday but there is still a decent number of tickets available now.
Yes lots of radio mentions about availability

Just got an email from the U that "Limited tickets remain", no clue what exactly that means in terms of how close to a sellout we are.

Just got an email from the U that "Limited tickets remain", no clue what exactly that means in terms of how close to a sellout we are.
Got the same email but that doesn't mean anything...they sent our a variation of something similar before the Rhode Island game so

Looks very close to a sellout. Handful of sections have seats you can from the schools website. But what couple I clicked on were very limited. 103 for instance appears to have 20ish seats remaining.

Hope I have a seat for my Gopher Pass. Only game I've ever had to do SRO was Michigan last year.

We had games where we all but beat them ... players just dropped the ball or so on.

While the ultimate outcomes are on the coaches to some extent, sometimes all they can do is put the players in position and then it is on the players.

To me that 1-6 would be far different if not for a few plays.

We had games where we all but beat them ... players just dropped the ball or so on.

While the ultimate outcomes are on the coaches to some extent, sometimes all they can do is put the players in position and then it is on the players.

Yes indeed.

Go back and look at the box scores from some of those games. In 2019, 2021 and 2022 the Gophers really should have beaten them. Check out total yards and time of possession especially.

The 1-6 record paints a picture that is a little skewed, in my opinion.

Last edited:

Yes indeed.

Go back and look at the box scores from some of those games. In 2019, 2021 and 2022 the Gophers really should have beaten them. Check out total yards and time of possession especially.

I get it and want to agree but to me this just emphasizes what has been the core personality of the program for a long time in rivalry games - find a way to lose no matter what.

Given how bad Iowa and WI have been, it bends all probability that we’ve been so futile against them. But we have - even when box score directionally says we should win, we find ways to lose.

Hope that’s different this week.

I get it and want to agree but to me this just emphasizes what has been the core personality of the program for a long time in rivalry games - find a way to lose no matter what.

Given how bad Iowa and WI have been, it bends all probability that we’ve been so futile against them. But we have - even when box score directionally says we should win, we find ways to lose.

Well, ummmm... just 'how bad' have Iowa and Wisconsin actually been?

Fleck took over the Minnesota program in 2017, so let's just look at those years. Since 2017...

Iowa: 63-28.
Wisconsin: 60-30.

Are those win-loss totals really what you would describe as 'bad'?

Also, I believe Fleck's record is 3-3 vs. Wisconsin. I for one would not characterize that as 'futile', but to each his own perception, I guess.

Needed a third option for this guy:

Who do you hate most?
Iowa
Wisconsin
Yourself

Yes indeed.

The only thing that was skewed was Ferentz’ ability to coach PJ. There are some hopeful signs that PJ is changing his best…

Well, ummmm... just 'how bad' have Iowa and Wisconsin actually been?

Fleck took over the Minnesota program in 2017, so let's just look at those years. Since 2017...

Iowa: 63-28.
Wisconsin: 60-30.

Are those win-loss totals really what you would describe as 'bad'?

Also, I believe Fleck's record is 3-3 vs. Wisconsin. I for one would not characterize that as 'futile', but to each his own perception, I guess.

Those are good standalone records but the B1G West has been so abysmal for so long that those records were inflated. Like winning the AL Central most years. We saw that come to fruition when they got smashed every year in the B1G title game.

Fleck's WI record is better but I guess I am still hungover from going 0-14(!) against them for such a long period prior.

I mean I root hard for the Gophs but again over the last two decades plus our rivals have pretty much destroyed us.

With our offensive line, or lack there of, not sure we will gain 200 yards.

Those are good standalone records but the B1G West has been so abysmal for so long that those records were inflated. Like winning the AL Central most years. We saw that come to fruition when they got smashed every year in the B1G title game.

Fleck's WI record is better but I guess I am still hungover from going 0-14(!) against them for such a long period prior.

I mean I root hard for the Gophs but again over the last two decades plus our rivals have pretty much destroyed us.

We're in a new era now. No B1G West. 18 teams. The old, familiar argument that 'the B1G West is terrible' is gone. Forever. From now on, everybody will be judged by the same standards — at least I hope that will be the case.

I have to say, I'm a little surprised that you're still hung up on Wisconsin's win streak against Minnesota. I mean, wow. Don't get me wrong, you have a right to feel how you have to feel, but Fleck broke that streak back in 2018, man. Half a decade in the past now.

I'm not telling what to think or how to feel, though. If reliving bad memories works for you, stay with it.

1-0 in the mono-color uniform season!

Look for 2-0 this week!

The only thing that was skewed was Ferentz’ ability to coach PJ. There are some hopeful signs that PJ is changing his best…
Some of it has been on the players too. We’ve had a few crucial player mistakes that costed us some of those games.

In the last 5 games the Gophers have put up a run against Iowa that in most cases would be 3-2 or 4-1 in Minnesota's favor. The odds of losing the 2022 game alone were less than 10%, and going 1-4 with these stats is very hard to do. Maybe a 1-2% chance.

Minnesota has lined up and beaten Iowa at their own game each time and hasn't been rewarded with wins.

2023 (W 12-10)
Gophers 239 yd, 35:25 TOP
Iowa 127 yd, 24:25 TOP

2022 (L 10-13)
Gophers 399 yd, 35:13 TOP
Iowa 280 yd, 24:47 TOP

2021 (L 22-27)
Gophers 409 yd, 40:19 TOP
Iowa 277 yd, 19:41 TOP

2020 (L 7-35)
Gophers 312 yd, 36:10 TOP
Iowa 346 yd, 23:50 TOP

2019 (L 19-23)
Gophers 431 yd, 32:20 TOP
Iowa 290 yd, 27:40 TOP

In the last 5 games the Gophers have put up a run against Iowa that in most cases would be 3-2 or 4-1 in Minnesota's favor. The odds of losing the 2022 game alone were less than 10%, and going 1-4 with these stats is very hard to do. Maybe a 1-2% chance.

Minnesota has lined up and beaten Iowa at their own game each time and hasn't been rewarded with wins.

2023 (W 12-10)
Gophers 239 yd, 35:25 TOP
Iowa 127 yd, 24:25 TOP

2022 (L 10-13)
Gophers 399 yd, 35:13 TOP
Iowa 280 yd, 24:47 TOP

2021 (L 22-27)
Gophers 409 yd, 40:19 TOP
Iowa 277 yd, 19:41 TOP

2020 (L 7-35)
Gophers 312 yd, 36:10 TOP
Iowa 346 yd, 23:50 TOP

2019 (L 19-23)
Gophers 431 yd, 32:20 TOP
Iowa 290 yd, 27:40 TOP
It is frustrating that the record against Iowa is what it is because it obscures the fact that this series has been super competitive in recent years with all the games coming down to a play or two here or there that could have shifted the outcome. Unfortunately we came up on the short end in the majority of those.

1-6 gives the impression that Iowa is dominating the head to head matchup and that could not be farther from the truth. We have been right there with them and even outplayed them in some of the matchups but there are few teams that have better than Iowa at winning ugly or winning games they should have lost.

Expecting a near mirror image of last year. Looking forward to it!

Top Bottom