Gophers on verge of cancelling bowl appearance; decision by Saturday noon

BleedGopher

Reaction score
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Just as well. No one would enjoy it, players or fans, and it would bring 10 days of this story continuing nationally.

Not sure if it is a good idea if it gets played, but the only way this ends in a bowl game is if the players say something to the effect that the suspended players asked them to play and while they still support their teammates, boycotting the bowl game would be hurting their fans, coaches and those of Washington State.

I would also hope deep down that some of the accused would actually say that. There are a group of seniors that will never play again and this ordeal shouldn't over shadow that.

I was 100% behind the Players but I am not anymore. The underage recruit was the last straw. I wonder what his Mother thinks of our program. Pull all the scholarships if you have to. All the Coaches have to go.

It looks like Claeys is going to be right that this situation won't be a distraction for the bowl game.

And to think his last game as head coach will be the one where they out-stunked the skunks.

I think that cancelling at this point would be the right and decent thing to do, as this situation has made the program just toxic right now, and that (rather than football) would become the focal point of the bowl if we were to go and would be talked about endlessly. IMO our presence there would cast a huge and dark pall over the whole proceeding, and the Holiday Bowl doesn't need that nor IMO should we want it. That bowl game should be a time of fun and football rather than a reminder of some of the uglier aspects of human nature.

I feel very badly for the Gopher fans who have spent their hard-earned money to travel out there, but this situation is just beyond anything I could have possibly imagined.

Tell the Holiday Bowl we're sorry (while actually letting them off the hook), officially end the football season right now, and then get to work cleaning up the house. That's what I would do at least.

I think that cancelling at this point would be the right and decent thing to do, as this situation has made the program just toxic right now, and that (rather than football) would become the focal point of the bowl if we were to go and would be talked about endlessly. IMO our presence there would cast a huge and dark pall over the whole proceeding, and the Holiday Bowl doesn't need that nor IMO should we want it. That bowl game should be a time of fun and football rather than a reminder of some of the uglier aspects of human nature.

I feel very badly for the Gopher fans who have spent their hard-earned money to travel out there, but this situation is just beyond anything I could have possibly imagined.

Tell the Holiday Bowl we're sorry (while actually letting them off the hook), officially end the football season right now, and then get to work cleaning up the house. That's what I would do at least.

I agree. There is no way this all gets resolved between now and the 27th and while I feel bad for the guys that were not involved in the incident they kind of forced this by boycotting practices and team activities. Give the Holiday a fighting chance to fill the spot with NIU and try to salvage something for all the WSU fans that have bought tickets.

This is all going to drag on for quite a while and chances are it is just going to get uglier and uglier. Not going to be a fun off season.

Top Bottom