Gophers NOT in AP Top 25

CFP rankings are all that matter at this point IMO. Not many 8-4 teams get ranked and it's usually about boosting the resumes of top 4 teams. 100% Wisconsin stays ranked to make Michigan and ND wins over them look better. I could see a world where Wisconsin is 24 and MN 25, but I wouldn't bet on it. Purdue has a strong case as well. It's crowded from 20-30.

I kind of thought they'd maybe sneak in.....but looking at the final few slots.....I have no disputes. I'm betting that if Nebraska would have held on against Iowa.....and the Gophers would have been in the championship.....that the CFP committee would have slid the Gophers in.

Hopefully they draw a nice bowl opponent and put a bow on the season. That will garner more national respect.

Last edited:

CFP rankings are all that matter at this point IMO. Not many 8-4 teams get ranked and it's usually about boosting the resumes of top 4 teams. 100% Wisconsin stays ranked to make Michigan and ND wins over them look better. I could see a world where Wisconsin is 24 and MN 25, but I wouldn't bet on it. Purdue has a strong case as well. It's crowded from 20-30.
I think there is a chance MN, WI, and PU all find themselves between 20-25 in the playoff rankings.

They are loyal to their pre-season picks. Without the BG loss, Gophers would be 9-3 and ranked somewhere. Wouldn't be surprised if they are ranked Tuesday by the playoff gurus.

Cleveland voter 22
Quad City voter 22
Wisconsin State Journal 23
Rutgers 23
Toledo 25
Omaha 25
Champaign 25

Andy Greder doesn't find room for Gophs in his top 25.

We went 6-6 in 2018 and ended up in Detroit. No one was really happy with GT as the opponent.

Came out of that bowl game with a dominant performance, both on D and especially Mo's breakout performance. Big Dan's pancake of the ages was in that game too.

I think that cemented bigger expectations for 2019, that were almost derailed by the onfield performance the first 3 games for sure.

Showing well in whatever bowl will go far again 2021...

Didn't expect them to be maybe top 40. hopefully we get some votes starting early next season.

Cleveland voter 22
Quad City voter 22
Wisconsin State Journal 23
Rutgers 23
Toledo 25
Omaha 25
Champaign 25

Andy Greder doesn't find room for Gophs in his top 25.
Only Quad Cities...i expected more Iowa-based writers to vote Minnesota lol...

Week 14
AP Top 25:
Others receiving votes: Wisconsin 68, UTSA 58, Appalachian State 50, Minnesota 37, Purdue

AFCA Coaches poll:
Others receiving votes: Wisconsin 100, UTSA 36, Appalachian State 30, Air Force 16, Minnesota 13, Purdue 11, Utah State 8, Coastal Carolina 8, Penn State 5, Fresno State 3, UCLA 3, Mississippi State 2

Kirk Bohls from Austin, TX

John Clay from Lexington, KY Nathan Baird Cleveland Steve Batterson Quad Cities

Colten Bartholomew from WI James Kratch NJ

Bryce Miller San Diego Mike Vorel Seattle

Chuck Carlton Dallas David Briggs Toledo Madison Blevins Knoxville Matt Murschel Orlando Rece Davis Robbie Faulk Starkville Ryan Pritt West Virginia Sam McKewon Omaha Scott Richey Champaign Zach Klein Atlanta

NR
Adam ZuckerBrett McMurphyChris MurrayEric HansenGarland GillenJon WilnerKellis RobinettMichael LevRobert CessnaTom MurphyBrian HowellMike BarberDave ReardonMarc WeiszerTom D'AngeloAndy GrederLauren BrownlowMatt BakerMatt BrownRyan AberAaron McMannDon WilliamsDylan SinnNeill OstroutSteve VirgenDamien SordelettJosh FurlongNate MinkBlair KerkhoffAdam GrosbardJack EblingDavid JablonskiGentry EstesPete MartiniRon CountsJonas PopeTrevor HassEthan JoyceBen PortnoyDarren HaynesJohnny McGonigalJordan HillRyan ThorburnLeah Vann

#27 UTSA losing to WKU would help Gophs get more votes
#28 App State plays #20 ULL; one will lose and Gophs would likely pick up points
#19 San Diego State losing to Utah State would prbly help
one of #18 WF/#17 Pitt will lose, could help Gophs crack top 25
Cinci beating #16 Houston would likely help Gophs
Oregon beating #14 Utah might help some
Navy beating #32 Army would help

Last edited:

Little bit surprised.

I'm not. There are only two 8-4 teams ranked and they are both from the SEC.
We did succeed in knocking Wisconsin out of the rankings so that counts for something.

We are receiving a significant amount of votes now. If we meet up with one of the following teams in a bowl and win, we might be ranked:

Arkansas, Texas A&M, Mississippi State, UCLA.

College Football News predicts Gophs 24 in this week's committee rankings

Gophs will be ranked to make Iowa look better which makes Michigan look better (and probably OSU too). Otherwise, Iowa won't have a single top 25 win.

Yeah, I know I'm using pretzel logic...it's Monday!

I agree that we have a good chance of cracking the top 25 if we win the bowl game.

AP doesn't matter.

CFP ranking is what actually matters. That said, we aren't getting a NY6 game anyway, so the rankings are pretty much meaningless for us.

Don't tell me you get a trophy or a plaque if you finish top 25 in the AP, for cripe's sake.

Top Bottom