Gophers non-conf games ranked #45, #40, #32 and #18 out of 48 B1G non-conf games

So this list apparently is not based on difficulty as Michigan's trip to South Bend ranks as #2 while Purdue's is #8. Not surprising then that the bigger names have better (more nationally interesting) games. Not that Im arguing Minnesota's nc schedule being strong.

General nit picking -- they claim our last home BCS non-conference win was in 2000. Actually, that was a road win. From 2000 we have played exactly two BCS non-conference games: Cal in 2009 and USC in 2010. Our last home non-conference BCS win was over Iowa State in 1997. If I am reading correctly, it looks like since 1997 we have played three BCS non-conference games at home.

General nit picking -- they claim our last home BCS non-conference win was in 2000. Actually, that was a road win. From 2000 we have played exactly two BCS non-conference games: Cal in 2009 and USC in 2010. Our last non-conference BCS win was over Iowa State in 1997. If I am reading correctly, it looks like since 1997 we have played three BCS non-conference games at home.

2009 we beat a 4-8 Syracuse team 23-20 in OT; Syracuse was part of Big East.
Big East Champ was Cincinnati in 09-10 and was destroyed by Florida in Sugar Bowl.

I would consider the win over Syracuse, a non-conference, BCS win. I may be wrong in that assessment / opinon though.

Buck

2009 we beat a 4-8 Syracuse team 23-20 in OT; Syracuse was part of Big East.
Big East Champ was Cincinnati in 09-10 and was destroyed by Florida in Sugar Bowl.

I would consider the win over Syracuse, a non-conference, BCS win. I may be wrong in that assessment / opinon though.

Buck

Yes but that win was an away game.

Not bad considering we are picked no better than 11th by 99% of pundits.

And it will appear the Big 10 is cherry picking the MAC. Nobody wants to play Akron. Nobody. And its only going to get tougher.

Wow, I had to look that one up. Its true, our last home nonconference win over a BCS-league team was in 1997 (over Iowa State). As mentioned, we've only played two such games since then; Cal and USC.

All the more reason to beat the Orange on 9/22.

I do not consider a home win over a 1-10 Iowa State team in 1997 a BCS win. Due to the BCS starting during the 1998 season and having its first National Title game in 1999 (Tennessee vs FSU).

I do not consider a home win over a 1-10 Iowa State team in 1997 a BCS win. Due to the BCS starting during the 1998 season and having its first National Title game in 1999 (Tennessee vs FSU).

For all practical purposes, it was a BCS win. It's a shorthand for major conference.

Then one may need to consider the win over Temple (1-11) in 2006 (now Big East member) as a BCS win?

Therefore, there should be no Grandfather Clause claiming a victory over a 1-10 Iowa State team prior to the BCS even existing. It is a technicality and quite frankly nit-picking on my part.

I read the statement Our last non-conference BCS win was over Iowa State in 1997 - harrysghost original post - as we had not had a BCS non-conference win since 1997 - home / away was irrelevent due to the original post - notice harrysghost edited that statement after I posted.

A few points:

1. When I posted that we had a win over Syracuse, my statements were in contradiction to the original statement harrysghost made as he did not designate it as a home win,

2. The home win over Iowa State occured prior to the BCS even being in effect,

3. If one is to claim a home win over a crappy 1-10 Iowa State team prior to the BCS existing, I thought it was fair game to claim a victory over a crappy 1-11 Temple team who played us (and subsequently moved to a BCS conference) at home during the BCS era.

I'll refrain from further comments and move on. Was just trying to explain my point of view as to why I made the comments I did.

Go Gophers!

Buck

If you want to nitpick, there technically has never been such a thing as "BCS conference" and "non-BCS conference" in Division I-A. They were "AQ conference" and "non-AQ conference". Calling Iowa St. a "BCS conference" win is understood as correct, because they were a member of the Big 12 at the time of the game, which was and has always been a major conference. Calling Temple a "BCS conference" win is bizarre at best, given that they were an independent at the time we played them. Iowa St. sucked, but they didn't suck so badly that they were kicked out of the conference, which is what happened to Temple less than 2 years before we played them.

If the U of MN gets out of the UNC series and they fail to beat Syracuse, the next opportunity they'd have for a home AQ Conference win would be 2016 against Colorado State then 2017 against Oregon State. Obviously I'm assuming they won't replace UNC with an AQ opponent.

I'm certainly hoping they get it done this year! Fifteen years is long enough!

If the U of MN gets out of the UNC series and they fail to beat Syracuse, the next opportunity they'd have for a home AQ Conference win would be 2016 against Colorado State then 2017 against Oregon State. Obviously I'm assuming they won't replace UNC with an AQ opponent.

I'm certainly hoping they get it done this year! Fifteen years is long enough!

They'll get it done. I really think this is a team that will surprise many (outside of those on GH).

Last AWAY victory over an AQ BCS Program was vs Syracuse (Big East) in 2009
Last HOME victory over a non-AQ BCS Program was vs Air Force (Mountain West) in 2009
Last HOME victory over an AQ BCS Program was Iowa State in 1997 (1st year of Big XII) and 1 year before BCS started.

*Remember, we also thumped Colorado State (non-AQ BCS Program) up here in 2006, I believe.

Top Bottom