Gopher's need one hell of great game to beat Nebraska!!!

froggopher

Reaction score
Nebraska is a 10 point favorite for this Saturday's game in Minneapolis!! Could we finally beat these guys? Thought's/comments anyone? Go Gophers!!:clap:

If we are +2 or higher in the turnover battle, I think we have a shot.

Their defense is not great by any means so I think we'll be able to move the ball on them. Have to take advantage of the opportunities, unlike what we did yesterday.

Amazing that they're favored by less points then NW was...

Amazing that they're favored by less points then NW was...
That's likely to not knowing if Martinez is playing or not. We'll need a lot of breaks to go our way and Nebraska to sleepwalk much like Northwestern did. Some crappy weather with some rain would help as well. We likely can't score more than 24, so we better keep their total under that. I didn't give us much of a chance against the Wildcats, so my dim view on this week shouldn't deter anyone either...

NE is averaging 42 points a game - you have to outscore them, they're too explosive for a ball control, low-scoring close game win. We will need a mixed attack - so we have to have our best passing game of the year, yet they are near the top of the B10 in sacks and interceptions. So we'll need our best game of the year overall, some big plays from defense and the kicking game, some big breaks, bad officiating (against NE) and maybe bad weather!

I am not so sure Nebraska is nearly as great as some think, some of these comments imply they are Oregon Lite or something approaching Ohio State. They are by no means a great team, Wisconsin will be much more difficult to deal with in a month.

Nebraska is very inconsistent on offense and shaky on defense.

NE is averaging 42 points a game - you have to outscore them, they're too explosive for a ball control, low-scoring close game win. We will need a mixed attack - so we have to have our best passing game of the year, yet they are near the top of the B10 in sacks and interceptions. So we'll need our best game of the year overall, some big plays from defense and the kicking game, some big breaks, bad officiating (against NE) and maybe bad weather!

I don't know much about NE, but NU was averaging 39 points per game before Wisconsin. Obviously, they were without their two best offensive weapons, but 17 points is not bad for a team as uptempo as NU. And if NE is without Martinez, perhaps the Gophers will have a chance. At the very least of covering the spread, looking respectable.

Nebraska is very beatable this year. Time for a big win at home !

I don't think it matters who is playing QB for Nebraska. I think we beat 'em. This was my pick at the start of the year for the "big" win. I won't call it a signature win. Nebraska is going to have everything they can handle. I saw something in that game MN played against Nebraska at TCF 2 years ago and I've been waiting for this game ever since. This is the game, getch your popcorn ready!

I've been saying most of the season that this is probably the worst matchup of the season for the Gophers. Two weeks for the Huskers to prepare and get healthy, and coming off games against Illinois and Purdue isn't exactly a meat grinder, like what Northwestern had gone thru.

I'm more of an optimist than many on here but I think the Gophers get rolled. I like their chances against PSU, Indiana, and even MSU to close the season but this is just a horrible matchup. I think it could get ugly, as much as it pains me to say. Nebraska is a veteran team, recent trips to the B1G title game, and and are finding their rhythm lately.

The carnage on this board will be epic if this one gets out of hand. I hope I'm wrong

I like our D this week. I think they gained a little momentum this week and will carry it forward.

I still have no idea about this team. We rolled through our non-con schedule with little issue, winning the games we are supposed to win. Many, including myself, believed that we would beat Iowa, but the hawks have proven to be quite a bit better than most had expected. After the loss to Michigan, I had my doubts.....but we are still sitting at a respectable 5-2 record. If the offense comes out and plays a decent game, I really don't see many teams on the schedule that will completely destroy the Gophers. I think we pick up a couple more wins this season......but it is hard to pick which games. All depends on the team that shows up.

I noticed that Tobi Okuyemi, from Minnesota and now a junior at Nebraska, is not in the two deeps and has made almost zero impact on their program.

Thanks for your impact on my thread! Really depends on Martinez having a good or mediocre game. Should be fun to watch! ( I hope so!) Go Gophers!!

Nebraska's run D isn't great, I think we can control the clock and will have some success on the ground. The question will be can we still score enough points to keep up with their offense, because they will score points. Abdullah is damn good and it sounds like Martinez will be close to 100%. The key will be our run defense and hopefully Martinez makes a few mistakes throwing the ball, because he's had a tendency to do that in the past. He'll be a little rusty, hopefully that helps us. If we can win the turnover battle and control the ball we'll have a chance, it's the same story as the Northwestern game and we executed well.

Thread Title: "Gopher's need one hell of great game to beat Nebraska!!!"

How about... "Nebraska needs one hell of a great game to beat Gophers!!!"

GO GOPHERS!!!

I still have no idea about this team. We rolled through our non-con schedule with little issue, winning the games we are supposed to win. Many, including myself, believed that we would beat Iowa, but the hawks have proven to be quite a bit better than most had expected. After the loss to Michigan, I had my doubts.....but we are still sitting at a respectable 5-2 record. If the offense comes out and plays a decent game, I really don't see many teams on the schedule that will completely destroy the Gophers. I think we pick up a couple more wins this season......but it is hard to pick which games. All depends on the team that shows up.
I predicted earlier that we will upset one of the better teams. This is the game I had in mind when I stated that. We will win 3 B10 games this year. One down, two to go.

I don't think it matters who is playing QB for Nebraska. I think we beat 'em. This was my pick at the start of the year for the "big" win. I won't call it a signature win. Nebraska is going to have everything they can handle. I saw something in that game MN played against Nebraska at TCF 2 years ago and I've been waiting for this game ever since. This is the game, getch your popcorn ready!

I respectfully disagree. This is just what the doctor ordered.

I don't know why we need one hell of a game when we are at home and we just went on the road and beat NW who was a 12 point favorite. The good news is it sounds like everyone came through the NW game in pretty good shape with no major injuries. With all of the emotion that the team has dealt with lately it has to be a good feeling to come home a winner and they should be fired up to play hard. We still haven't put a great game together yet, hopefully this is the game those long passes get caught and the run game keeps chugging with Olson helping to contribute again.

where was all this positive speak last week? most of you are fraudfans.

You read on here a lot that nobody is any good. Northwestern sucks even though they were in Top 25 until just recently. Ohio State
had to score 20 points in the fourth quarter to sneak by Northwestern. Michigan isn't that good...only in the Top 25 in the country. Iowa sucks yet they were ahead of Ohio State on the road late in the game. Yes, Iowa lost but Ohio State is a BCS title game contender. I hear ya...Ohio State at number 4...isn't that good.

And now Nebraska is a TOP 25 team in the country BUT they ain't that good. They can't do this they can't do that. Some say we'll get blown out.
Some say even if we win it's ho hum...not a signature win...Nebraska isn't that good.

Most say they see no evidence Minnesota is clearly improved. They can't recruit even though the Rival Rankings under Kill are higher than they have ever been in our program....ever.

The schedule is freaking brutal. We are clearly better , year by year, under Coach Kill!!! If we beat Nebraska we will have beaten a Top 25 team in the country. When will you celebrate? How is it not a signature win? When would it be a signature win?

I have no idea if we can beat Nebraska but I can see we are clearly getting better and I'm happy about it. We have a long ways to go but we have come a long ways to get where we are. Just be nice to see some recognition of the improvement versus the pessimism. Maybe more so, some credit to the strength of our opponents. We are close enough that if we make plays we can win. We are far enough that if we make mistakes we can get crushed.

I dont think this is a great Nebraska team, but they are a good one. More talent than Northwestern by a long shot. I think it will take a bit of luck and a couple breaks, but if a couple balls bounce the Gopher's way, they could be in it at the end, then anything can happen...

I feel like the Gophers get intimidated when they play the schools with big names like Nebraska, Michigan and Ohio State and just don't compete. So, I'm nervous about this Saturday. However, I feel like we may grab two games from Penn State, Indiana and Michigan State mix. Still predicting 7-5.

I believe Nebraska is a pretty darn good team but they have not beaten a good football team yet this year, Illinois and Wyoming are there best wins to date. If the Gophers can put together a solid game in all three phases, offense, defense and special teams we have a legitimate shot at getting the win.
Go Gophers!

I feel like the Gophers get intimidated when they play the schools with big names like Nebraska, Michigan and Ohio State and just don't compete. So, I'm nervous about this Saturday. However, I feel like we may grab two games from Penn State, Indiana and Michigan State mix. Still predicting 7-5.

It would be kind of funny if the only rivalry trophy we won this year was the Governor's Bell.

I'm hoping that Martinez will be rusty coupled with the gophers D being better than anyone nebraska has played so far, except UCLA, will have it a close game into the 4th. And if a few breaks go our way - maybe.

Top Bottom