Gophers-MichSt from 1999 on BTN Greatest Games

UptownMaroon&Gold

longtime gopher sufferer
Reaction score
Anyone else watching this game on Big Ten Network right now?

#20 Minn vs #4 Mich. St from Feb. 1999.

Nice to see a game from these "lost" years, the Barn is rocking, Clem is all fired up, Quincy Lewis is unstoppable, Kevin Clark and Terrance Simmons look solid, Miles Tarver, Pryzbilla, Rychart and Kevin Nathaniel all playing their hearts out.

A young Tom Izzo prowling the sidelines in a nice houndstooth jacket.

damn you mateen cleaves, I know whats coming (tear)........he was good.

I remember this game vividly. I was a freshman in the 5th row of the student section (where the band now resides). I thought the officiating was good awful down the stretch. The ending with Cleaves hitting a lay up after the made basket was eerily similar to the game against #1 ranked Cincy over holiday break (Sanden hits a 3 off a pick & roll with ~5 second left to take a 1 point lead and then Cincy hurried the ball down court to get a lay up at the buzzer).

After this game I remember walking out of the game in a daze and walking over to my fraternity with another guy that was at the game. There were only 2-3 of us at the game but a group of 10-15 of us took turns throwing a giant White Pages around the Foyer, head butting it and generally doing stupid things to destroy it and ease our frustration. I'm pretty sure most of the people didn't know why we were mad or what was going on but throwing the white pages around seemed like fun to them too.

I watched much if it with my 11-year-old daughter when it was on about a week ago. This is really her first year as a real fan with real interest in the players and in attending games, and she kept asking why #20 (Quincy) doesn't have his number retired.

It was a great game. The thing that really stuck out to me is that, even after improvement this year, we still have a long way to go before Williams Arena returns to its full glory. The 1990s were a lot of fun in there.

I watched that one about a month ago on Big Ten. I was at that one and remember the Quincy Lewis show being in full swing.

Yeah, it was nice to see the non-student sections get on their feet a couple of times during the first half. I agree that we still have a ways to go to get the barn rocking like it was back then....hopefully in the next couple of years.

i watched it as i fell asleep. it was cool to the the crowd so into it. also to see the young izzo.

Top Bottom