Gophers men's basketball seeing rewards from their emphasis on defense

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Greder:

Minnesota had six "kills" in a 73-69 win against Western Kentucky on Nov. 12 and seven in regulation in a 87-80, double-overtime win over Princeton to seize the Asheville Championship.

"If you get to seven, that is the key," Johnson said. "Seven really tips it. Not that you can't win with under that, but if you get to seven, your chances are in the 90th percentile of getting a win from games that we've done it at Xavier and here. That is the goal."

Go Gophers!!

I’d wager that more than a few get this… but it’s a challenge to achieve the planned outcome when the other team is also trying hard to win.

I’d wager that more than a few get this… but it’s a challenge to achieve the planned outcome when the other team is also trying hard to win.
Sounds like something Pitino didn’t care about since BJ says it wasn’t until he went to Xavier before he started tracking it.

Sounds like something Pitino didn’t care about since BJ says it wasn’t until he went to Xavier before he started tracking it.

I think it’s a great sign BJ has the team keyed in on his messages and are paying attention to it mid game. If its helpful for the players focus on three possessions in a row (rather than four minute windows, etc), then I’m on board.

But this ‘kill’ statistic isn’t anything other than a metric. Pitino tracked and preached deflections and disruptions. Neither is a defensive strategy, approach, or game plan. Neither tells you how to structure your defense or broader game plan.

Metrics can help inform what’s working well and what is not, but at the end of the day you just gotta stop the other team from putting the orange thing inside the red circle more than they stop you. Anyone who has played the game knows that.

I think it’s a great sign BJ has the team keyed in on his messages and are paying attention to it mid game. If its helpful for the players focus on three possessions in a row (rather than four minute windows, etc), then I’m on board.

But this ‘kill’ statistic isn’t anything other than a metric. Pitino tracked and preached deflections and disruptions. Neither is a defensive strategy, approach, or game plan. Neither tells you how to structure your defense or broader game plan.

Metrics can help inform what’s working well and what is not, but at the end of the day you just gotta stop the other team from putting the orange thing inside the red circle more than they stop you. Anyone who has played the game knows that.
Does it count as a kill if you also don't score in your three possessions?

Does it count as a kill if you also don't score in your three possessions?
Yes. The more kills you get, the more likely that you are also getting some run outs for some easy buckets. Do this enough and you have yourself a lead.

I've never played basketball and never heard a kill referenced in basketball, what exactly is it?

Two statistics that generally determine victory:
1) Turnovers
2) Rebounds

Those two feed in to getting "kills."

I have written often that dismissing Pitino was a waste of time and resources. My rationale: Pitino was let go because the Jones, Holmgrens, Hurts were not signing in Minnesota. "Close the borders". Of note, the border wall will never be built. That said, I am ready to eat a shit load of crow because Thorsen can clearly coach defense and this offense is conducive to success. The level of success will depend on the quality of the players. I doubt Johnson gets to double digit wins this year, but I really hope recruits see that Thorsen and Johnson will put them in a position to win and win often. I swear the gophers have moved the ball on offense more times in these first few games than they did all of last season combined. It is fun to watch versus this low level competition, and I hope they can show signs of life as we turn to Big Ten play.

When guys play as a team,and not to get to the next level ( God I hate that next level line) the NBA,thus they play unselfish an can win games.

I have written often that dismissing Pitino was a waste of time and resources. My rationale: Pitino was let go because the Jones, Holmgrens, Hurts were not signing in Minnesota. "Close the borders". Of note, the border wall will never be built. That said, I am ready to eat a shit load of crow because Thorsen can clearly coach defense and this offense is conducive to success. The level of success will depend on the quality of the players. I doubt Johnson gets to double digit wins this year, but I really hope recruits see that Thorsen and Johnson will put them in a position to win and win often. I swear the gophers have moved the ball on offense more times in these first few games than they did all of last season combined. It is fun to watch versus this low level competition, and I hope they can show signs of life as we turn to Big Ten play.
You doubt we'll get to double digit wins? We have 5 and will be favored in 4 of the remaining 5 non-conference games...

Top Bottom