Gophers legend Greg Eslinger named to College HOF ballot.

He's probably the most accomplished collegiate football player for the Gophers since at least the 1960s, especially when you consider his academics on top of his on-field accolades.

Wild that the NFL never gave him much of a chance. Let's hope that the voters truly consider college resumes only and don't let the halo effect from bigger pro names cloud their choices.

He's probably the most accomplished collegiate football player for the Gophers since at least the 1960s, especially when you consider his academics on top of his on-field accolades.

Wild that the NFL never gave him much of a chance. Let's hope that the voters truly consider college resumes only and don't let the halo effect from bigger pro names cloud their choices.
I've posted this before, but a 'beef' I have with the Gophers is it seems they don't do enough to recognize any history since pre 1960 in the stadium. Realistically, what more would Greg Eslinger have to do to his name up in the stadium.

I wish the Gophers would take a look at the Vikings and what they do with their Ring of Honor. They aren't retiring the numbers or anything, just recognizing great players. In the college sense, this would connect alumni back to the school, give fans something to celebrate. Players off the top of my head... Darrell Thompson, Maroney/Barber, Eslinger/Setterstrom, etc. I don't know other players that go together like Maroney/Barber and Eslinger/Setterstrom - I feel like their names on synonymous with each other!

I've posted this before, but a 'beef' I have with the Gophers is it seems they don't do enough to recognize any history since pre 1960 in the stadium. Realistically, what more would Greg Eslinger have to do to his name up in the stadium.

I wish the Gophers would take a look at the Vikings and what they do with their Ring of Honor. They aren't retiring the numbers or anything, just recognizing great players. In the college sense, this would connect alumni back to the school, give fans something to celebrate. Players off the top of my head... Darrell Thompson, Maroney/Barber, Eslinger/Setterstrom, etc. I don't know other players that go together like Maroney/Barber and Eslinger/Setterstrom - I feel like their names on synonymous with each other!
Have you been in the Gopher athletics hall of Fame in the stadium?

Have you been in the Gopher athletics hall of Fame in the stadium?
Yes, but to me, this is different. Vikings have their HOF at TCO as well.

To me, it is no different than hanging banners of players in Williams Arena. Why do we do that?

To me, it is no different than hanging banners of players in Williams Arena. Why do we do that?
I always assumed those were retired jerseys? But maybe not.

Only thing that kept Greg from a long NFL career was him being undersized to play OL

I was at the U same time he was. Met him once and I was surprised how small he was. Looked like he was 6’1” 270 maybe, looked really strong. Not sure what he was listed fat for size but he was an incredible player in college.

I always assumed those were retired jerseys? But maybe not.
I could be totally wrong because I am far from the banner at Williams Arena expert here, but I think Banham had her banner put up in 2017 according the Gopher's Website. Ayianna Johnson wore #1 in 23-24 and Alexia Smith wore it in 21-22. Also looks like Jasmine Powell wore Janel McCarville's #4 for a few years.

I could be totally wrong because I am far from the banner at Williams Arena expert here, but I think Banham had her banner put up in 2017 according the Gopher's Website. Ayianna Johnson wore #1 in 23-24 and Alexia Smith wore it in 21-22. Also looks like Jasmine Powell wore Janel McCarville's #4 for a few years.
I was thinking mens basketball. Banhams jersey is retired though. There are 7 total for the women's team.

I was thinking mens basketball. Banhams jersey is retired though. There are 7 total for the women's team.
You're right, it is retired, but weirdly girls are still wearing her #1. Things that don't make sense to me. haha

Even more weird, women's basketball has retired the #13 twice. Deb Hunter and Lindsay Whalen

You're right, it is retired, but even more weird girls are still wearing her #1. Things that don't make sense to me. haha
That said, I do think it's good to recognize former players. I think they've tried that at times with bringing former players onto the field between quarters, etc. They could probably do some mini-banners in the concourse or something like that though.

Never seen a center that could pull and then cut block so athletically. It’s rare to say that it is fun to focus in and watch an OL instead of the guy with the ball.

I've oft wondered why he didn't have a longer and more successful NFL career. I know his lack of size has been mentioned a lot, but he was 6'3" 290 lbs in the NFL- and that was about average for centers in the league at that time. Maybe injuries that weren't publicized? Maybe just got sick of the football grind

You're right, it is retired, but weirdly girls are still wearing her #1. Things that don't make sense to me. haha

Even more weird, women's basketball has retired the #13 twice. Deb Hunter and Lindsay Whalen
There is a difference between a retired jersey and a retired number. A retired number means no one will be issued that number (e.g. Paul Giel's number 10). A retired jersey is a recognition of the player without taking the number out of circulation (e.g. Sandy Stephens' number 15). The women's basketball team has retired seven jerseys, but no numbers.

U of M Retired Numbers and Retired Jerseys

Eslinger and Setterstom both were great. That O was dynamic worth the price of admission!!

Last edited:

Mike Favor from M North who I first met in ‘84 and was snubbed by the Gophers and ended up at NDSU — is in the college football HOF as a center. We took a Williams kid out of Jefferson instead as a center that year which obviously was a really bad call.

There is a difference between a retired jersey and a retired number. A retired number means no one will be issued that number (e.g. Paul Giel's number 10). A retired jersey is a recognition of the player without taking the number out of circulation (e.g. Sandy Stephens' number 15). The women's basketball team has retired seven jerseys, but no numbers.

U of M Retired Numbers and Retired Jerseys
I learned something new today. That makes more sense.

I've oft wondered why he didn't have a longer and more successful NFL career. I know his lack of size has been mentioned a lot, but he was 6'3" 290 lbs in the NFL- and that was about average for centers in the league at that time. Maybe injuries that weren't publicized? Maybe just got sick of the football grind
I think it's more that his weight was likely inflated or he couldn't keep it on during the rigors of training camp and the season. Keeping on weight as an NFL OL for many guys is a full time job. Even in AA high school football our coaches bumped almost everyones size up and this is done by everyone at every level until they get to the NFL.

The Gophers had John Michael Schmitz listed at 6'4 and 320 pounds, and his combine measurements were 6'3 1/2 and 301 pounds.

Anyone can join the MN Chapter of the College Football Hall of Fame. In doing so, you receive a ballot to vote. I always tried to separate Collegiate Career from professional. If I remember correctly, candidates must be All-Americans to qualify for consideration. It’s been a while since I’ve renewed membership but I liked the idea of CFB fans having a say in who got in.

Anyone can join the MN Chapter of the College Football Hall of Fame. In doing so, you receive a ballot to vote. I always tried to separate Collegiate Career from professional. If I remember correctly, candidates must be All-Americans to qualify for consideration. It’s been a while since I’ve renewed membership but I liked the idea of CFB fans having a say in who got in.
Do you have to be a Minnesota resident?

In the College Football Hall of Fame, Greg Eslinger should get in long before Tom Brady. In fact, Brady shouldn't get in at all.

Top Bottom