Gophers lean on Oklahoma transfer Marcus Major as top back gets healthy

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Marcus:

P.J. Fleck couldn’t help but stare at Oklahoma transfer Marcus Major at times during fall camp, surprised how much he looked like “a bigger version” of former Gophers All-America Mo Ibrahim.

Of course, it helped Major wears the same No. 24 jersey as the program’s all-time leading rusher.

Major isn’t the next Ibrahim, but he won the Gophers starting job last week with leading returning rusher Darius Taylor still recovering from a leg injury. Major rushed 20 times for 73 yards and a touchdown for his Gophers debut in the 19-17 season-opening loss against North Carolina.

Major’s injury-plagued career continued with shoulder surgery that kept him out of spring practice after transferring, but he exceeded Fleck’s expectations during the running back competition this fall.

“I just knew I had to come in and step up,” said Major, who started five games in five years with the Sooners.

Go Gophers!!

Neither of the transfer RBs Bangura or Mangham got a carry against UNC. Jordan Nubin got a few. The Gophers only ran 55 offensive plays. Plenty were intended as passes, but UNC's pass rush baffled our OL, meaning many pass plays didn't result in a throw (a sack or QB scramble instead). Until our OL learns how to pick up blitzes efficiently, or our OC teaches and calls some quick hitting passes that counter blitzes, I think we'll see more UNC-style defenses.

Neither of the transfer RBs Bangura or Mangham got a carry against UNC. Jordan Nubin got a few. The Gophers only ran 55 offensive plays. Plenty were intended as passes, but UNC's pass rush baffled our OL, meaning many pass plays didn't result in a throw (a sack or QB scramble instead). Until our OL learns how to pick up blitzes efficiently, or our OC teaches and calls some quick hitting passes that counter blitzes, I think we'll see more UNC-style defenses.
I did not realize that. Major could not carry Taylor's jock. It's not close.

I wasn’t all that impressed by Major, particularly after hearing what Fleck was saying about him. I think Nubin is a better runner. Major was good out of the backfield catching passes. I would play Nubin ahead of Major.

Did you see our offensive line?

Find me 5 plays where we had a positive push in the run game against UNC. I'll wait.

Top Bottom