Gophers in Rose Bowl, slim chance in my lifetime

They were also playing at home, in a very tough environment.

Winning road games is just damn hard.
Very true. But two weeks after the Iowa loss, Wisconsin visits the Gophers and we can't hold serve.

That was a rough three week stretch after a monumental start.

Was reading a bit more about what some people are guessing/conjecturing ..... some are thinking that the NYD time slot is so important to the Rose Bowl and its history, that it will ask to become a permanent quarter-final game (all planning to be played on NYE/NYD, as far as I have read), with the highest ranked Big Ten or PAC, if one is in the top 4, automatically slotted there.

Assuming that the Gophers most realistic chance to make the playoff is as the #2 Big Ten team, I'm not sure what that would do to the Rose chances, if that is indeed how they did it.

I'm guessing they'd want to avoid a Big Ten vs Big Ten game, which would likely be a rematch of the Big Ten conf champ game, and even potentially a third match between those schools.

But if the PAC team got it for example (say USC or Oregon, undefeated), then potentially the Gophers winning the first round game (at TCF potentially) could then go to the Rose Bowl for the quarter-final.

All conjecture at this point.

On top of that, Iowa is something like 5-1 against Top 10 teams at Kinnick in the last 15 years. Mordor is where MNC ambitions go to die.
One does not simply walk into Kinnick Stadium. Its black gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is an evil there that does not sleep.

Iowa was a top 15 team, came in with a great plan, had a strong enough defense to withstand a comeback attempt once the gopher defense made adjustments.
Defense has a bad first quarter and Tyler Johnson dropped the ball that would’ve led to a game tying drive.

we wouldn’t block the Iowa DL that day

My take pregame at the Brothers Bar downtown was that the Iowa fans were sort of mentally preparing for a loss that day, but when the Iowa offense came out on fire and scored twice early, the crowd got real energized that the hill to climb became very steep.

I know my level of irritation rose when I saw those awful Mississippi State uniforms we had on and how worthless our defense was in the first quarter. Then again, Nate Stanley was about as good that day as he could be and the RB Goodson was the best on the field that day at least.

My take pregame at the Brothers Bar downtown was that the Iowa fans were sort of mentally preparing for a loss that day, but when the Iowa offense came out on fire and scored twice early, the crowd got real energized that the hill to climb became very steep.

I know my level of irritation rose when I saw those awful Mississippi State uniforms we had on and how worthless our defense was in the first quarter. Then again, Nate Stanley was about as good that day as he could be and the RB Goodson was the best on the field that day at least.
It was totally disappointing. But they were a legit top 15 team in the country. I would’ve been more upset if we lost to someone mediocre.

2019 gophers were 9-0 against teams 16-130
2-2 against teams in the top 15

we were a legit top 10 team. Not a legit top 5 team. I would rather have lost a close game to Iowa than blown the division against northwestern or Purdue

Top Bottom