Gophers have, under the radar, become one of the most consistent and “high floor” teams in America under P.J. Fleck, Joe Rossi is a big reason why.

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Husemann’s article on the Top 10 DC’s in college football:

Joe Rossi, Minnesota​

The Gophers are doing three things great under Rossi: they aren’t allowing many points, the number of drives that result in a TD is very low, and the yards per play they allow has been low. This means that teams are not sustaining drives against them and when they do, they frequently settle for FG’s. That’s a recipe to win tight games. The Gophers have, under the radar, become one of the most consistent and “high floor” teams in America under P.J. Fleck, Joe Rossi is a big reason why.

Go Gophers!!

This one has always thought if Grinnin' Glen could have retained David Gibbs that the offensive juggernauts of the early 2000s might have mirrored just what is being offered here...but with mucho success because we could put points on the board.

There was a huge dropoff in defensive performance after Gibbs left. Jerry's Kids brought back relevance and now Rossi's defenses are making a huge difference too.

Bottom line is Coach Mason could field a hell of a running game but was befuddled on defense. Glad those days are long gone. Looking forward to beating Nebbie on the opener.

This one has always thought if Grinnin' Glen could have retained David Gibbs that the offensive juggernauts of the early 2000s might have mirrored just what is being offered here...but with mucho success because we could put points on the board.

There was a huge dropoff in defensive performance after Gibbs left. Jerry's Kids brought back relevance and now Rossi's defenses are making a huge difference too.

Bottom line is Coach Mason could field a hell of a running game but was befuddled on defense. Glad those days are long gone. Looking forward to beating Nebbie on the opener.
I always believed that as well. I was very disappointed when David Gibbs left. Never heard much about him after that though...what ever happened to him?

I always believed that as well. I was very disappointed when David Gibbs left. Never heard much about him after that though...what ever happened to him?
Head coaching record
Coaching career (HC unless noted)
1991–1992Oklahoma (GA)
1993–1994Colorado (GA)
1995–1996Kansas (DB)
1997–2000Minnesota (DC)
2001Denver Broncos (S)
2002–2004Denver Broncos (DB)
2005Auburn (DC)
2006–2008Kansas City Chiefs (DB)
2009–2010Houston Texans (DB)
2012Virginia Destroyers (DB)
2013–2014Houston (DC)
2014Houston (interim HC)
2015–2018Texas Tech (DC/S)
2019–2020Missouri (CB)
2021–presentUCF (co-DC/DB)
Overall1–0
Bowls1–0

Joe Rossi has absolutely no impact on the overall defense.

This writer has it wrong.

Joe Rossi is not very good.

All interested parties should look elsewhere if they want to poach a DC or hire a defensive minded head coach. Really...anywhere else but The "U". He is the last person another program should hire for ANY position.

He's awful.

Joe Rossi has absolutely no impact on the overall defense.

This writer has it wrong.

Joe Rossi is not very good.

All interested parties should look elsewhere if they want to poach a DC or hire a defensive minded head coach. Really...anywhere else but The "U". He is the last person another program should hire for ANY position.

He's awful.
Well said....I mean we will keep him around out of kindness but yeah, if a team wants a DC or HC they really should look elsewhere. Let him remain our problem for as long as possible.

Top Bottom